Howdy! New here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enda

Reaction score
I am thrilled to finally be here! ?
I’ve been watching Bob and others since late 2016. Starting August 2017, I thought I had a year to research, buy and build out, but Hurricane Harvey sped up my pace by flooding my car and displacing me.

About me ~ I am differently abled/disabled. My passion, in a nutshell, is Nature and Healing. 
I have a big dog. Ruff!
With some life changes, my finances and logistics have become such that securing a vehicle that serves as a home AND transportation enables me to keep my Freedom and explore how I can generate income in creative ways.
I’m excited about how this need has turned into a possible means to a deep, lifelong desire...Get Out Of The Concrete Jungle and into Nature!

I finally decided on a 2016 GMC Savanna 2500 cargo van in January 2018.
Due to various logistics, I have not done anything to it yet...other than take a trip and determine that I definitely need to add a high top.

>>>———> I need help...
to get my van liveable by Fall.
Is that Mentor program around that Bob mentioned after the RTR 2018?
I need one....or a few!

The following topics are what I need help with:

1. Provide answers to 4x4 conversion questions, discuss option to trade in for truck with 4x4 with camper or blow off 4x4 altogether.

2. Physical help with buildout of floor, walls, ceiling and simple bed at a minimum and full build out of rest if possible.

3. Solar install
Fantastic fan(s) installation

Thank you!
I’m currently in Colorado.

Welcome Enda to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. please read the tips and tricks a lot of newcomers have not been reading them.

I always recommend against 4x4 conversions. factory 4x4 yes, conversions no.

highdesertranger

Welcome! Since you are in CO maybe you might be interested in a meetup in CO that's happening from July 10 to 17th. It's at Clear Creek. There's likely to be people there who you can get to know and maybe get a few tips from.

BTW, X2 on highdesertstranger's 4X4 conversion answer.

Yeah I think a 4x4 conversion would not be a good idea.  Put your money in the hightop.

Thank you for the welcome, vanman2300, and for the information on the gathering. Talking to people in person feels like it would be very helpful.

And thank you to all for your opinion on the 4x4.

Welcome, Enda! Good luck with your build! I hope you're able to attain the resources you need.

vanman2300 said:
Welcome! Since you are in CO maybe you might be interested in a meetup in CO that's happening from July 10 to 17th. It's at Clear Creek. There's likely to be people there who you can get to know and maybe get a few tips from.

Thanks Vanman. Where is the info on the gathering?

A Savage Adventure said:
Welcome, Enda! Good luck with your build! I hope you're able to attain the resources you need.
Thank you, Savage. I hope I am too. Do you know anything about the mentor program that Bob mentioned?

The guy running it is Kevin Venture. I think he's on Facebook. He's got a YouTube account called clear adventure. Also he was interviewed by Ausia of Pandamonium on YouTube regarding the meetup so you can check that out too.

It's called Travellers Campfest. Dates are July 10th yo the 17th. The location is Clear Creek Reservoir. It's approximately half way between Buena Vista and Leadville. There's a free campground just past the reservoir and I think it is being held there.

Enda said:
I am thrilled to finally be here! ?
I’ve been watching Bob and others since late 2016. Starting August 2017, I thought I had a year to research, buy and build out, but Hurricane Harvey sped up my pace by flooding my car and displacing me.

About me ~ I am differently abled/disabled. My passion, in a nutshell, is Nature and Healing. 
I have a big dog. Ruff!
With some life changes, my finances and logistics have become such that securing a vehicle that serves as a home AND transportation enables me to keep my Freedom and explore how I can generate income in creative ways.
I’m excited about how this need has turned into a possible means to a deep, lifelong desire...Get Out Of The Concrete Jungle and into Nature!

I finally decided on a 2016 GMC Savanna 2500 cargo van in January 2018.
Due to various logistics, I have not done anything to it yet...other than take a trip and determine that I definitely need to add a high top.

>>>———> I need help...
to get my van liveable by Fall.
Is that Mentor program around that Bob mentioned after the RTR 2018?
I need one....or a few!

The following topics are what I need help with:

1. Provide answers to 4x4 conversion questions, discuss option to trade in for truck with 4x4 with camper or blow off 4x4 altogether.

2. Physical help with buildout of floor, walls, ceiling and simple bed at a minimum and full build out of rest if possible.

3. Solar install
Fantastic fan(s) installation

Thank you!
I’m currently in Colorado.
I have no answers for you, Enda, just a warm hello, and well wishes.  :) 

Cranky

Cranky Old Hen said:
I have no answers for you, Enda, just a warm hello, and well wishes.  :) 

Cranky

Awwww, thanks Cranky! A warm hello is a great answer! Thank you.  :)

highdesertranger said:
I always recommend against 4x4 conversions.  factory 4x4 yes,  conversions no.
I’m seeking answers to questions about 4wd conversion, but welcome an explanation for your opinion. Why do you recommend against it? Thanks.

vanman2300 said:

I’m seeking answers to questions about 4wd conversion, but welcome an explanation for your opinion. Why do you recommend against it? Thanks.

Enda said:

There's so much involved with conversions like that. By the time everything is done you'd be better off if you found one already equipped with it. They are rare but can be found. Plus factory installed is trustworthy vs some guy doing an aftermarket conversion. I have a 4X4 but have only used it once so you could always hold off on that expensive work until you see if you really need it.

Enda said:
Thank you, Savage. I hope I am too. Do you know anything about the mentor program that Bob mentioned?

I'm sorry, I don't, however it looks like vanman2300 was able to provide you what you needed.

You need to prioritize. 

IF you find that you really want 4WD, like I did, then buy something that started out life as a 4WD, if at all possible. 

In my case, 4WD vans are very rare in this area, and the few that are available new, are lots of $$$.

So, I bought a 4WD pickup and added a camper top. It works well for me, and I used the 4WD, LO-RANGE, twice just in the last couple of weeks.

tx2sturgis said:
You need to prioritize. 

IF you find that you really want 4WD, like I did, then buy something that started out life as a 4WD, if at all possible. 

In my case, 4WD vans are very rare in this area, and the few that are available new, are lots of $$$.

So, I bought a 4WD pickup and added a camper top. It works well for me, and I used the 4WD, LO-RANGE, twice just in the last couple of weeks.

tx2sturgis said:
You need to prioritize.