How to stop the itching?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txmnjim

Reaction score
man, ever since i decided this way of life might be worth pursuing i have been itching
like crazy to purchase a van! i know it's stupid but heck i've even seen a high-top van,
needing a fuel pump, for just $600 with the interior in pretty good condition! i know its
probably got rust, and potentially much more...we are at least 5 years away from making
the move and the plan is to save up as much as possible and get as good a vehicle as we
can, but at this rate i'm sure i will wind up with a clunker for $2000. i guess i just need to
work on my self-control...and keep padding the savings ;)
jim

Self control is tough, but the biggest mistake I've made is buying a vehicle then finding one I liked better and getting it. It costs to trade and I'm trying to learn my lessons from the past.

What I like to do is to buy a truck and spend a long while fixing it up over time. It probably costs more in the long run, but it gives me a project to keep me going and my mind off a newer one.

Best wishes

yes, i was kind of thinking the same as far as fixing one up but i need to start with one
that doesn't have so much rust! there are several "nice" ones around for about $5,000 that
have solid bodies, so i will shoot for that and then work on fine tuning it before our departure.
unfortunately, it may take a year or more just to save that amount up  :s

Patience.
Save up and keep looking and just as important, get out and test drive different models/ makes and sizes. Understand that you won't buy until you have driven a dozen or more samples no matter how "cherry" a vehicle you find. Gotta remember they make millions of these every year. So finding one really is easier than you think.

The more you see and research drivetrain and electrical issues by make /model/ year the better the odds you'll find the best vehicle when your ready to make a deal.

I thought I wanted a 4x4 to go anywhere. Realized after a year of looking that interior height and weight capacity better met my needs and off-roading does more damage than not so more pavement travel was my focus. I'm glad I did some research before buying.

Good luck & enjoy the process. :thumbsup:

Patience :) yea it stinks but if you know you have 5 yrs before hitting the road, save up like a crazy person for having those bucks in the bank when you truly want and require your new vehicle for hitting the road, priceless :)

It took me almost a year to find my rig after I finally figured out exactly what I wanted. Be patient and frugal in the meantime. The doing without to save for the purchase will soon be forgotten when you do get your rig.

just keep yourself sedated with Benedryl, it will reduce the itching and you will sleep the years away ;)

Low cost older vans are likely in need of lots and lots of money and repairs. A new Class B runs around $70k and up (and up and up). If you buy one for $3k so you can stand up buy it knowing you at least have a good house you can build up but be sure to have the funds so it drives you where you want to go.

I vote for saving and buying as new as you can so that engine will get you to where you need to go without a lot of $$$ in repair shops along the way. A camp host job or Amazon job are not going to pay a large repair bill.

As for seniors in cars I cannot recommend this except in dire straights. We need to move our muscles, be able to sit up and a long rainy week inside a cold car just might get you where you can't move much at all. At least get a tent you can set up and a good heater for a few hours of moving a day if the weather prevents it.

Christine

thanks for the replies! yes, i promise to myself to not make any rash
purchases no matter how good it sounds. after a few years when the
date gets closer i will be able to get something that lasts and in much
better condition.
jim