how to leave

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carestock

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a single mother, grandma and Veteran. I am having a hard time leaving. I got a 2014 town and country van in June of this year and each month I purchase things for full time living in my van. At the same time I am organizing my stuff for storage. I have been enjoying the videos of van living and have gotten some great ideas. I have traveled and camped in the past so I'm confident that my dream will come true. I should be ready to hit the road in spring of 2020 so my first RTR will be 2021. I plan on doing some van camping this summer with my dog. Wish me luck!

Welcome carestock to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

You have to go at your own pace, and get things in order first, otherwise, you will regret certain aspects, and feel unprepared for the adventure. Weekday camping in state parks are usually pretty empty, and quiet, and have lower rates than the weekend.

No matter how prepared you think you are, new situations will come up that will need for you to adjust your plan.....good luck.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I like to be prepared and have a back-up plan. My adult kids are not supportive of my plan and I don't want to leave with them upset but I have to do what makes me happy, right. I know that I will learn by trial and error as I go on mini trips in preparation for the long haul of full time van living. I will continue to absorb all the good information online. Happy travels.

Keep on Trucking, carestock!!!!!
I like your vision.

I'm starting in a few months too. Life's an adventure and I want to experience more of that. Sorry your children aren't enthusiastic for you. My adult children are okay with my plan.

In my experience, taking a series of short trips can help get one's needs sorted out. Some people even start in their driveway, and just for a few hours! You can pack up the vehicle "as if" you were going camping, just to see what you actually have and how it fits, and how you feel. If it feels right, lay out your living space. Rearrange stuff. Go for a drive, maybe to a park, and spend a few hours. Eventually, plan an overnight--again, many people do this in their driveway--and see how it feels. When you've got things arranged so that you're happy going camping for three or four nights in a row, you're all set.

The Dire Wolfess