How to keep your head, face, ears and neck warm while sleeping in freezing temps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about this, since I'm very sensitive to cold. My friend and I are working on converting a fleece Snuggi into something that has a face-covering hood (sort of like a ski-mask, but lighter). Since Snuggis are so long, we figure we'll have enough fabric for me (I'm 5'4"). If we figure it out, I'll post a pattern somewhere.

We've tent camped down into the teens (Fahrenheit). We used heavy wool long johns on top and bottom, wool socks, wool cap, mittens, arm warmers and a wool scarf. Then a mummy bag gathered around my head with only the nostrils and mouth exposed. On a thermarest mattress with a memory foam topper. Slept like a baby until my sweet hubby brought me hot coffee after having gotten out of his cocoon for me. Hubby wears two hats because he's bald.

When I was in school, long ago and far away, I took an anthropology class and in one of my assignments, I watched an old documentary film from the early 20th century about Inuit (we used the term Eskimo then). They would be naked under their furs at night. But the film showed the family all sleeping in one bed. One skinny naked hubby wouldn't be warm enough for me.
Ted

I've tried the hoodie and its actually not that bad (thanks to all who recommend that), the only small thing is wearing a big hoodie inside the sleeping bag kinda give you the bulky feel but its ok tho. I got the merino wool ski mask but haven't used it yet.

amie - yes please post and share your ideas.