make a pillow case with attached quilted head cover/blanket

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
pillow blanket.jpg
I invented a gift for my bald headed friend who lives on a boat in the NW. He gets cold at night and for years has put an extra pillow on top of his head to keep it warm but of course that tends to fall off now and again. So for Christmas I made a special project out of fleece fabric. It is a zippered pillow case with an extended area that has some batting in it. He now has the option of flipping that section over to keep his head warm but still have some control over the air coming in from the sides for easy breathing. And it won't come off his head while he is sleeping. I left the quilted section long enough to reach down onto his shoulders.

Not difficult to sew. 1-3/4" yards of fleece, a 20" zipper, a length of poly quilt batting and of course thread.

Fold the fleece in half, right sides facing in. Sew the edges together inserting the 20" zipper on the long side towards one end.
Cut a piece of polyester fleece that covers the section that forms the quilted flap over cover. I used some spray glue to hold it in place on the fleece to make it easy to turn the project inside out. Then through the zippered opening I turned the fabric through it so the right sides were facing out.

Next sew across the width of the fleece to create the cased section the pillow fits into.

Last step put lines of quilting across the section with the batting inside of it.

Insert the pillow into the cased section and it's time for a long winter's nap.

Good hobby sewing project but also it has the potential to be an item you can make for sale to other van dwellers or in an online store such as Etsy or Ebay.

Of course if you can't sew you can safety pin a baby blanket or towel to your current pillow case :)

Attachments

• pillow blanket.jpg
    pillow blanket.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 8
I've taken to wearing a knit cap to bed, sort of like our ancestors did.

I like this, and hubby might too. He has a hat, but it falls off. Maybe this will work and he will whine a bit less.....
And if it works maybe I will want one too and will whine less...

I know one thing for sure even if my friend decides not to use it his dog will claim it for his bed. That dog lives to lie on a fleece blanket with his head on a pillow.

Looks super comfy and pretty. Great gift.

I have hair and cannot keep a hat on. This seems like an amazing idea! If it is really cold, I use something called a Buff in conjunction with a beanie. The seem to want to be friends and stay together. The buff covers my neck and face.  A hood, though...

Sofisintown said:
he could wear a beanie, no?
 But it's very kind of you to make him the pillow.
He has tried wearing a hat to sleep in. In fact tried it with a whole bunch of different hats over the years. But he did not like them.

Update....he has been using the gift I made him and he likes it. Not quite used to it yet, plus he is very particular as he is a professional product designer. So I made sure to tell him it was a prototype and I could make any modifications needed to to better suit him. He has been down with a cold this week so he is grateful for having a warm head cover. So far the comment was the pillow case area was not quite snug enough around the pillow. That is an easy fix, I will get the next size larger pillow ;)