How to Install Power Outlets and Microwave in Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Expresscamper

Reaction score
Hi, I been trying to locate instructional information on how to install power outlets (home style sockets) in my conversion van along with using a microwave. If someone could help point me in the right direction or provide a write up on "it" I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

You might do some searches in Youtube. Here is one on an RV vehicle:

How many ac outlets, and how far apart are you thinking? For as simple van set up, many people just use a single heavy power strip and run a heavy extension cord out of the van.

You don't need to be a Licensed Master Electrician to do simple wiring, but you DO need to have some idea of what you are doing, lest you give yourself a dangerous shock or set your van on fire.

Lowes and Home Depot sell books aimed at the do-it-yourself crowd that shows how to do this kind of simple wiring. Or check your local public library or Barnes & Noble.

Regards
John

I'm afraid I'm an extension cord and power strip guy myself so I can't help either.

If you want to run the microwave off the batteries you'll need a 2000 watt Pure Sine Wave inverter.
Bob

It is much safer to only plug into your inverter.

Use appliance extension cords only along with the best power strip you can find.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
How many ac outlets, and how far apart are you thinking? For as simple van set up, many people just use a single heavy power strip and run a heavy extension cord out of the van.

Regards
John

Hi John, I'm thinking the outlets would be within 5ft of each other and a total of 3. Here is picture of what I have in mind for my van.

You should be able to hook them all up in one string - a wire from you inverter to the rearmost outlet, a wire from that outlet to one of the front ones (whichever is easiest) and then a final wire from that outlet to the last one.

It's fairly straightforward wiring. Outlets have screws on both sides - power in on one and power out on the other. The screws are color coded. Brass screw is hot (black wire), silver screw is return (white wire), and green screw is ground (green or bare wire).

I would again urge you to get and study one of the books I recommended in my first post before starting.

Regards
John

buy yourself a "recessed male 110v receptacle" check online or at an rv store. an extention cord will plug right into it. then you can run your wiring (minimum 14awg romex) preferably inside the guts of the van like behind a panel. cut a hole for a box and install an outlet just like you would in a house. if your unfamiliar get a book like somebody else mentioned. if you really want to get technical you can install a DPDT switch so the source can be switched from your outside power to your inverter without any moving of cords. if you've got any questions Ide be more than happy to help. looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Nick

nwprimo said:
buy yourself a "recessed male 110v receptacle" check online or at an rv store. an extention cord will plug right into it. then you can run your wiring (minimum 14awg romex) preferably inside the guts of the van like behind a panel. cut a hole for a box and install an outlet just like you would in a house. if your unfamiliar get a book like somebody else mentioned. if you really want to get technical you can install a DPDT switch so the source can be switched from your outside power to your inverter without any moving of cords. if you've got any questions Ide be more than happy to help. looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Nick

Thanks Nick, that was very helpful information buddy. #cheers