How to cut your own long hair

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxGypsy

Reaction score
Here where I live a ladies haircut is $30 and up!&nbsp; That is just way too much!&nbsp; I wear my hair in a ponytail and just want the length shortened...nothing fancy.&nbsp; Still $30.&nbsp; So I ended up finding this cool tool for cutting my own hair and I've been using it for a year now and love it!&nbsp; It is easier if you have someone else to help you, but with 2 mirrors you can cut it yourself.<br><br>http://creaproducts.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&amp;product_id=42<br><br>Every time I use this to cut my own hair I remind myself that I just saved $30!

Thank you.&nbsp; This looks interesting.&nbsp; I wonder how it would work on fine hair.&nbsp; For years, I skipped professional hair cuts and trimmed on my own or not at all.&nbsp; About a year ago, I got "hooked" on regular (8 week apart) cuts at an Aveda salon in a Texas city.&nbsp; You don't even want to know what <em>that</em> costs, and basically I get just a trim.&nbsp; I have been thinking about how to bring haircare back into the realm of the frugal reality I know and love--especially while vanning.<br><br>Vickie

That looks like a cool device.&nbsp; I retired a year ago and am experimenting.&nbsp; Two months ago I gave myself a 1/2" cut all over witch clippers.&nbsp; talk about easy.&nbsp; It's now about an inch and a quarter and i really like it.&nbsp;

I wish I could wear short hair, but it just doesn't work for me.&nbsp; Occasionally I'll cut my hair short and I'm reminded of why I wear my hair long.&nbsp; I cannot stand hair in my face.&nbsp; Drives me absolutely nuts! <br><br>I do keep it as short as I can and it still go up into a ponytail.<br><br>Vanfan it should work the same on fine hair as it does on thick.&nbsp; I know the video specifies for thick hair, but that's not why I posted it.&nbsp; I posted this video because it was the simplest and most straight forward of what I saw on youtube.&nbsp; If your hair is extremely thin you might have to have someone help you use it as the weight might pull it off of your hair.

I've always been kind of lazy when it comes to cutting my hair when it is longer. I will put it in a ponytail behind my head and trim it even and then put it in a ponytail in FRONT of my head and trim it even. (It is very hard to describe this without pictures but I'll give it a shot...the hair goes over your ears and in front of you neck and then you put an elastic around it. It ends up being directly in front of where it was on back of your head.

After that I check the sides up and trim them even.

I can't really find pictures that show how I do it, but a lot of similar ideas can be found in the link here.

http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/

When my hair is long, and I need to trim it, I just part it down the center- all the way to the nape of my neck. Then bring both sides over my shoulders and trim straight across. The physics of it seems to make a nice shallow curve line, shortest in the front. I abhor 'layers'. And is easy for me to see what I am doing in one mirror. :)

I cut hair for 9 years in my younger days. Actually, have been cutting my own hair since junior high. I know what to do, but dang, when it gets past the shoulders it's really hard to get back there. Having a messed up left wrist doesn't help, either. Thanks, Abrin, for the new link. :)