How to clean FILTHY travel trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderin.pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern NM... currently living in an RV park
I have recently been gifted with a 1983 Aluma Lite travel trailer.  Let me emphasize that I am very grateful.  BUT.... 

The gentleman who had lived in it had been sick for the last 3 years and did not keep it clean.  He was very sick, and passed away this December. 

His executor has given it to me "as is".  Well, "as is" is disgusting.  Anyone who knows me, knows I am a slob.  

It was moved to RV storage at this park I'm staying at, and has been sitting there since December.
Also, some mice apparently spent the winter in there, and left a lot of calling cards.

The smell from the refrigerator almost made me hurl.  And I was wearing a mask (no, not a Halloween mask). 
It looks like some goop from the fridge oozed out on the floor.  

If I could afford a new fridge, I would get one.  Just pull this out and toss it.  In addition, I'm not sure it works.  It sits in RV storage now, so I don't have any shore power (though I could use my generator).  Also, I would prefer to finish cleaning before I try to turn things on.  

So, if anyone has any experience cleaning something like that, I would appreciate some advice.  Thanks in advance. 

Regards, 

WP

At least a gallon of 'Mean Green' or some other really strong clean product, a bucket, lots of cloths that will be tossed when you're done,at least a couple of packs of those green scrubby things, a big bottle of window cleaner, several pairs of rubber gloves, that face mask you already had on.

AND ...wait for it....

Elbow grease... :D :D :rolleyes:

The trailer will need to be hooked up to water or at least near a tap and electric or you can heat water on a stove (not necessarily THE stove). Will also need to be hooked up to drain system because you're going to go through a lot of water.

Start with something small like the bathroom and start at the top and work your way down. When that area is clean rest up and tackle another area.

Oh yea, stand back and admire the work as you've got an area clean!

There really isn't a magical way to do this, it's all just plain old elbow grease.

Since you're not sure if the appliances work, I'd actually be tempted to test them before you bother to clean them so you don't waste any energy and time only to find that it has to go in the trash. Keep in mind that the fridge might take up to 24 hours to get cold so it needs either propane or electric to even test it, preferably both since it might work on one but not the other.

Are you cleaning it up to live in it, or to sell it?

Getting it ready for you to use might be a bit more thorough than cleaning it up to sell.

Ditto Almost There in post #2 above.

If your budget allows, there are companies that do disaster cleanup.  Maybe call around and get a price quote?

For sure, I would test the systems before doing anything!  It would be awful to do all that work (or pay some other poor sucker to do it) and then find out appliances and plumbing and electrical are shot.

It gives me the shivers to even think about tackling something like that.

Best wishes and good luck!

Homeless:

> gut it

I have considered that.  I may end up doing that. 

tx2sturgis:

I plan to park it at this here RV Park and live in it here for a period of time.  So, yeah.  Important to do the best job I can. 

Almost Home:

> There really isn't a magical way to do this, it's all just plain old elbow grease.

Yeah, I don't think I was looking for a magic bullet.  More of a "make a mixture of this , that and the other thing and do this" kind of experiences.   The fridge is not just a little dirty, it is the filthiest thing I've seen in my life.  And I've changed plenty of diapers and taken care of dead animals.  Some in advanced stages of decomposition.  This is worse.   If I could afford to just buy a new fridge , I would.  

Stargazer:

> .. disaster cleanup

Good idea.  I spent some time today trying to research it.   

First, I have to get all of the junk out of there that's just lying around on the floor in piles.  Once I can move around some, the real cleaning can start.  

Thanks for the good ideas.  Especially the reminders about protective gear.  I got some of that this morning.  Mask, gloves, even safety glasses.  One of the guys here at the park has a respirator he plans to loan me.  Several people have offered to help.  

Regards,

Grateful Pat

wanderin.pat said:
  More of a "make a mixture of this , that and the other thing and do this" kind of experiences.   

First, I have to get all of the junk out of there that's just lying around on the floor in piles.  Once I can move around some, the real cleaning can start.  

Then you already know how to get started on it. Empty the crap that's in there.

No making mixtures of cleaning supplies, Please!! Not unless you're using a reputable recipe you've found somewhere...science class taught me that combining various chemicals could result in some neat shit in the classroom but that's  not what you want to do for the clean up!

Call "Merry Maids". Let someone else do the gagging :) Either way you are going to pay for the cleanup through the nose :)

If you are going to park it at the RV park, and live in it with hookups, why not take out the trashed RV fridge and temporarily install a 3 to 4 cu ft dorm fridge? 

If you have electrical hookups, it will work fine. And you can buy one brand new for less than $150, if you find one on sale, maybe around $100 or so. 

I'm not sure I'd want to risk putting MY food in a fridge that has that much odor and probably all kinds of mold and fungus and other organic matter decomposing in the nooks and crannies of the old fridge.

Yuk.

Hire someone to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even after an industrial cleaning or a gut out or both, there may still be bad juju involved.

It's nice that it was gifted but you have to think about that also. They gifter obviously didn't want it, but who knows the real reason why.

I'd roll down my sleeves and go into shred mode getting it down to bare bones. Rebuilding would then instill new life and bring good juju back to it and you.

Just some thoughts.

We had some leftover black beans go bad. For some reason, they went bad very fast and the smell got into the plastic of the refrigerator. It was awful! We tried cleaning with bleach, soft scrub, and vinegar. We left charcoal briquettes in the refrigerator. Nothing worked and we thought that we have to get a new unit. What finally worked was coating the entire interior with a paste of baking soda and leaving it on for a day or two.

This method may not work because the smell and goop have been in your fridge for so long but it's worth a try. Good luck!

regis101 said:
  They gifter obviously didn't want it, but who knows the real reason why.

Pretty much everybody.  He had the nerve to up and die.  :D  He had been sick for about 3 years, then it's been sitting out in RV Storage since February.  That's what happens in an RV Park like this.  All of us geezers, somebody is on the ropes. 

I've been here since December.  Two people have passed away.  Their rigs went to others who needed something better.  Like me.  Going from a 6x12 cargo trailer to more space, and windows.

Just toss the crap out the door and move in Pat. Dont be a wuss!

I concur with the suggestion to toss the refer. And maybe the stove, too. You can get by w/out them for now, since you already have a living space. For the same reason, maybe gutting it would be a good idea.

Another suggestion - can you afford a couple 6-packs? If so, see whether you can get a helper or two.

Especially if you have volunteers, DON'T try to do it all in one day! Set aside some time - like a couple hours - every day, and at the end of that time, what you got done is what you got done. Also, a general rule of cleaning is to start high, and work your way downwards.

hey Pat, you very funny a regular Bob Hope.

seriously congrats, I think.

highdesertranger