How the other half does it....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvNaut

Reaction score
Don't shoot me

These guys even have a budget... but it isn't like any budget you or I have.. they spent almost $10k on camping alone.... in a $200k rig... the differences in what is perceived as needed to enjoy life are vast indeed....

Thanks for the link. I didn't know about this couple. They start off the video by acknowledging their high budget and explaining that their lifestyle is a preference, so that at least was good. They weren't lacking in self-awareness in that regard. When I was full time on the road, I definitely indulged a bit. I never felt that it was "needed" to have a luxury like a $50k rig or to eat out whenever I felt like it, but I didn't feel bad about it, either. I had earned those little luxuries, and I enjoyed them fully. But I never imagined that my happiness was tied to them. Still, even though "they" say that money doesn't buy happiness, it certainly seems to buy some of the key ingredients to happiness, like a sense of security (a rig that isn't going to break down on you, a solar and battery system that will keep you powered all the time without worry, enough money in the bank to cover a medical or mechanical emergency, etc.).

If people have a $200k rig and a giant budget to live on, and they are happy and fulfilled, then I say more power to them. I haven't watched any of this couple's other videos, so I don't know if their money is "real" (retirement income, investments, etc.), or if they are "influencers" who make money from viewers and subscribers. I also don't know if they are financially stable or just living on the edge, i.e. "fake" money, on the brink of a disaster. (If that's the case, then I don't support what they are doing.)

On the flip side, If someone has a $3k van and $800 a month of fixed income to live on, and they are happy and fulfilled, I say more power to them, too! I just don't judge others whom I see on the road. Bob has espoused this attitude, as well, as he showed in the early RTR videos, showing cheap van builds next to luxury Class A rigs and saying all were welcome who wanted to live cheaper on the road, whether rich or poor. And I remember that we don't know anyone's story. The rich couple in an expensive Class A might have come from poverty and worked their way up. I just feel happy for them.

If they're living their dream, then good for them.

My dream is a comfortable bed in my van and the sounds of running water and wind in the trees. And pretty rocks.

Money makes the world go round. My world goes round but I have to push it.

I spend $4500 per year to maintain a S&B home base in an RV park with ALL the bells and whistles. 

I can't imagine how anyone could spend more than I do on camping spots. I suppose if you do not use any discounts it could be possible. 

When I splurge on camping I spend $30 per night for camping at the beach during tourist season. But the per night price goal is between $10 and zero per night and not that difficult to keep to that budget & simpatico neighbors.
-crofter

I just knew this was going to happen. I deleted a whole series of posts. Please stay on topic which has nothing to do with bashing people with money or conspiracy theories. Highdesertranger

I watched quite a few of their videos before. They been around. They do alot of them. They spend money as they see fit and they save money as they see fit. Like one video is all about finding free rv dumps on the road. They camp at HarvestHosts free spots to save money also but want to enjoy the hosts business as an experience at the same time....and all that jazz.

I like them.

Everyone has their own money. Spend it as you want, when ya want, where ya want, how you want, and never worry about anything other than that. I will spend money as I see fit all the time, everyone else can spend theirs LOL

Yea these people do good videos actually.

I spent 3k for my little Nissan Odyssey. Then another 1k for tires, etc.

I have a very favorite spot outside of Seneca Rocks WV. There is a place where there is an opening in the trees. As the mist starts to dissipate in the morning the rocks slowly start to appear. It's pretty magical.

We used to tent camp there. (you can't RV in this particular spot) but you can RV right next to it. As the wife and I get older a little tiny bit more comfort is nice and the 5 minute walk is nice also.

That's why I pack up and leave. I suppose for some being able to open the side of your RV and watch TV is relaxing to them. To each their own.

The trout fishing is usually pretty good during the Today Show also so.........................

If I am reading the charts right between 400,000 to 500,000 motorhomes have been built each year over the last ten years at a cost of over 20 billion dollars each year in the United States. To me that says there are possibly somewhere between 5 to 10 million people that chose to spend close to 200 billion dollars to spend time (very few live in them fulltime) in a motorhome on the road in the United States over the last ten years. I believe there are around 300 million people living in the United States so 10 million would be less than 4% of the people were wanting to and able to experience this lifestyle. 4% is far from " the other half"! Bad part about it for me is it seems they all want to be my neighbors anymore! Lol!!! Funny as I am typing this a private jet just flew over taking it's owner to his 1.2 million dollar house boat that is in a lake that is drying up! Money doesn't always indicate the person is smart or happy but they do get many more chances to make bad mistakes before becoming poor, a motorhome is just one of those! Lol!

Not all motorhomes are expensive. It is possible to buy a used motorhome for the price of a van, if you need that much extra room and all. I believe operating costs may be  higher on a motorhome though. Also the shell is fiberglass on a motorhome, not steel loke the vans.
-crofter

There are those with the big rigs that still try to cut costs by boondocking and saving elsewhere. (That’s me). I have been discriminated many times by nomads who don’t have much and see my rig and never put down by the ones who have money and are comfortable with themselves. - even when I had a much smaller and older rig.

Thank goodness there are still lots of people who can take a person as they are. Thanks friends - I have more friends now than I ever have had in my life and MANY I’ve made right through this forum.

If this old body would ever cooperate these would be the best times of my life.

from Camm: I have been discriminated many times by nomads who don’t have much and see my rig and never put down by the ones who have money and are comfortable with themselves.

^^This.  Motorhomes are cool and needed out there by many.   All this dumping on motorhomes that is out in the world is sad...truly sad to me.  They have their place for those who want them and no different than the options to buy tents for those who want just that.

I posted this for reflection... If I has that kind of funding, I still woudln't do what they do, but that isn't what the post was supposed to be about....... it is a good look at the industry and the life styles that some choose to live. I was not meaning to bash anyone or their lifestyle. What I see is kind of the antithesis of the nomad existence I am headed for... and is such a different look at life.

I am sorry to have caused a kerfuffle, it was not my intent...

I definitely would never begrudge anyone for living they way they desire. I'm all about self determination. Spend 100k on a motorhome or meth... just hope folks enjoy it.

I especially enjoy those engaging in conspicuous consumption because I will raise the prices on them whenever possible. ( big fan of sliding scales)Amazon also adjusts prices shown based on zip codes.

I grew up in Cody, WY. A massive tourist location. Around February the locals would receive a discount card in the mail. It was used to ensure that only tourists paid the jacked up prices during the tourist months. I've seen resident discounts in Alaska also. Just show your ID.

Thanks for the objective data post Bullfrog and dispelling the myth of other halves. In everything there is a huge span of grey between the 2.

You don't have to live in a hut like mine to be a friend or to be treated with respect... I hope I don't have to live in a mansion like yours to be treated with the same courtesy.

Having owned a 1983 Barth motorhome that I purchased about 20 years after it was built they do fill a need for someone that can maintain and repair them providing mobile housing inexpensively as opposed to renting a sticks and bricks. We were lucky to use ours for travel for about 5 years before finally turning in into a home base that we no longer travel with as it became too much money for us to keep roadworthy. I have found that RV's in general have challenges as they age and that was the main reason I only looked back 10 years. Some RV parks in very desirable locations limit their rentals to RVs less than 10 years old as well. There are not a lot of RVs over ten years old that had appliances and fixtures designed for daily use last over ten years in my experience. When looking at how the 4% of the population those being buyers of new class A motorhomes in the last ten years live in general it is often quite different as to how my wife and I have lived and definitely much more costly but in our opinions not as rewarding. Sometimes the experience is the best part of living.

When I was a camp host we used to call those things the mothership. I’ll never forget a man who came to our campground and never got out of the thing. It auto leveled it self I had all he needed for a quiet weekend alone so he brought it to the campground. I don’t begrudge anybody that live in I just don’t wanna be there myself I’d rather smell the forest hear the birds and slide in the mud a little.

In the mid-70s a friend and I were car camping on the Olympic Peninsula in the out-of-season time (but not too out). That evening here comes this big ol RV and parks in a spot not too far from us. I had never seen one close up before. They came over and invited us over for beers. I couldn't believe it. There was a TELEVISION in that thing!! It was like someone's apartment!!

wanderingsoul said:
In the mid-70s a friend and I were car camping on the Olympic Peninsula in the out-of-season time (but not too out).  That evening here comes this big ol RV and parks in a spot not too far from us.  I had never seen one close up before.  They came over and invited us over for beers.  I couldn't believe it.  There was a TELEVISION in that thing!!  It was like someone's apartment!!

I really like this post. It gives some perspective.

My fifth wheel feels like an apartment to me. I actually feel funny calling it "camping" because of that, so I always put the word RV in front and call it "RV camping".

As far as the original topic of the thread, when I saw the title I was expecting something like a million dollar Prevost and a $200 a day spot in Florida. It was more like a normal middle class lifestyle IMO. They even noted in the section about spending $7500 on RV spots that they normally spend about half that, but had special circumstances this year because of a surgery. From that perspective, I could easily imagine spending $3750 in a year on RV parks.

Also, everybody's life path is different. Some full timers sold a house to go full time, which can help a lot towards buying an expensive rig. I personally wouldn't spend 200k on a diesel pusher even if I sold a house, but that's because I don't want one, not because of the price.

So in short, they just seemed like normal folks to me, and not anything worthy of derision.