How necessary is moderation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanch

Reaction score
I notice on this forum (and most others) that there is pretty extensive moderation. I also see it on most YouTube channels in the comment section. This forum seems pretty tame and YouTube is pretty insane.

So my question is: what happens when things aren't moderated? Does the whole place just become 4chan? Is the entire internet a "troll free for all" without moderation?

I have been encouraged to start a YouTube channel by several people close to me. It sounds like a fun and creative outlet, but is it really just a place to get slaughtered by hate if there is any amount of success?

I see this forum has a plethora of folks keeping the tone civil, closing threads, deleting posts..... is this what it takes to keep things relatively civil?

I truly do appreciate all the work that is put into this forum and I know a ton of work goes on behind the scenes to keep it alive and relevant.

I just wonder, is doing something public on the internet even worth it? Or is it just an invitation to bring insanity into my life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you are a sensitive person that takes things personally,dont start a utube

On a non rv forum Im most active on, we have 3 mods/admins. They do very little (basically non existent) in deleting posts or closing threads. We are free to say what we want, to a certain degree. Of course, thats how they want it, not a tyrannical forum. The owner is free to do as they see fit.

It's easy to see where things go with out any moderation, look at most facebook groups or even just comments on news articles on facebook groups. It turns into a real free for all, and if you follow some of the comments they aren't anywhere near connected to the original content.

And the same goes for society with out laws.

A forum is nothing more than a small segment of a population and no rules equals chaos.

People that don't like the particular rules of a forum usually don't stick around, and what you end up with is basically what we have right here, a great group of like minded considerate individuals. We go off on our tangents, but I think at the end of the day everyone seems to at least respect everyone's opinion, whether or not they agree with it.

As far as your youtube channel goes, I would say as you get more subscribers and more popular the more you need to up your moderation of the comments if you want to keep it civil. In the beginning, you probably won't need hardly any.

I enjoy this forum. Everyone is very articulate and posts are well thought out and expressive. Actual language is used, I have been very impressed so far. This is a well run machine.

I suppose putting yourself "out there" is always a risk.
That is why I ask. I have no idea how many comments a semi-popular YouTube person has to delete. But it does seem that moderation is required to keep it civil.

I'm on the fence as to moving forward or not. I am doing well on instagram, but that is a very tame place.

I love, love, love following the full time crowd on youtube and I hate that there are trolls or haters or downer debbies and delberts!! I say go for the youtube channel and be okay with deleting comments you don't like. I'm planning on doing the youtube thing once I'm out there! Gotta find a niche, but so far even the folks traveling together show how different their personalities and video making are! I love all the perspectives! Go for it and then let me know your channel!!

AbuelaLoca said:
I love, love, love following the full time crowd on youtube and I hate that there are trolls or haters or downer debbies and delberts!! .....

This is funny!
My name is actually Debbie, Blanch is a nickname. LOL

just remember haters are haters and they are found everywhere. don't let them get under your skin that's what they want. don't give haters what they want. highdesertranger

All things in moderation, including moderation.

Hi Debbie, do what you want to do in life. As to the question of necessary moderation on the internet, um, no its not necessary, but highly recommended in the day of anonymous internet. When the day comes that their is no anonymity left on the internet, moderation will still be recommended. Some peeps are crayz, and others just don't give a hoot. Hope you start your channel and that it goes great for you.

Blanch said:
I enjoy this forum. Everyone is very articulate and posts are well thought out and expressive. Actual language  is used, I have been very impressed so far. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the reason for actual language and well thought out is because the vast majority of people here are not kids.

A forum is a society, every society needs rules in order to operate effectively and to protect its members and the very foundation of the society from those who love to create dissention and strife.

Interestingly in a society that uses no real identities and no face to face interaction, persons who are normally cooperative rule following folk can turn into ugly keybord bastards quickly!

Moderators are simply the police force enforcing the rules of the online society.

It is often volunteers doing unpaid work that can at tines be an overwhelming task.

Dave

I had the idea years ago of doing a Youtube channel about leatherworking for motorcycles and organic gardening. I don't think videos were monetized back then. Got a few videos up (even got over 100,000 views on one). Filming and editing a how-to is pretty labor intensive when you're doing it by yourself. It was fun to read and answer most comments, but those really bad ones, although rare, stuck with me half the day even though I deleted those and blocked the poster. It just wasn't the fun I thought it would be.

Can you imagine how quickly forums would turn into political bashing without moderation? About a minute.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the reason for actual language and well thought out is because the vast majority of people here are not kids.

I think it is more than that. I am on a forum for the chronic disease I have. It is all adults, and everyone is very respectful, but the average poster seems to have a 4th grade understanding of our language. Punctuation and capitalization is absent. Run on sentences are rampant. Trying to understand some posters is like a reading word salad.

My thought is that a vandweller (or RV in my case) requires critical thinking. It requires the ability to read and follow directions to implement or repair systems.

At the RTR I had Randy ask how many people were, or once were, engineers or computer people or technicians. The number of hands raised was about 25% if I remember correctly ( I am, or was, a computer programmer by trade and was surprised at the number of folks I talked to with a technical background). This is an educated group. Joe Or Jane Average doesn't build out a van or install solar or self rescue or repair their own stuff. This life requires a bit more......

Blanch said:
...Joe Or Jane Average doesn't build out a van or install solar or self rescue or repair their own stuff...

I am def an average Joe(and that's giving me too much credit). However, what I lack in skills, I make up for in sheer stubbornness. My build is NOT eloquent, but serves its purpose. Insulation? Extra layers of clothing. Power? A 100w panel\ cheap CC and a deep cycle battery from Same Club. Wiring inside van? 2 ciggie plugs straight off the battery and an old inverter strapped to the top of the battery box(both fused, but that's fancy for me). Shower? As if! Joking, I have an external popup for that. Definitely not fancy. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this, it surely would help, but to any others thinking it does, it doesn't. Keep expectations low, make sure you enjoy being "earthy", and don't feel inferior to some of the absolutely gorgeous build outs you see. I got a lot of help from the folks here. They didn't make me feel stupid or inferior and that is much appreciated.

Wabbit said:
I am def an average Joe(and that's giving me too much credit). However, what I lack in skills, I make up for in sheer stubbornness......

You out did me. I drove to an RV sales lot and purchased a travel trailer.

You had to work for that so kudos to you! I hope you get as much enjoyment\pride from your setup that I get from mine. Happy Easter if that's your thing!

I used to moderate political forums.   :dodgy:

I like it here where someone else does the babysitting.  :angel:

IMHO, a mod is always necessary.  If nothing else, just to keep us children playing nice.   :cool:

Where there are no Police, there is no speed limit.
If you can't enforce a policy, there is no policy.
Even with moderation, there are those that try to use these forums for personal gain or as a platform to promote their personal agendas.
If there was No moderation, I would not want to come here. The price that I pay is some of my posts are deleted. That is OK, tomorrow is another day to add my layer of bullshit.