How necessary is it to have a gun?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking an American entering and travelling through Russia wouldn't have much of a choice about packing a handgun or not...

As there seems to be some interest I will start a thread; What do you want to know about Russia and overloading or living in a vehicle RUSKI style. I can answer questions and perhaps we can learn from our frugal friendly Russians. Bob's signature line "I'm out to change the world!" We can learn from it as well.

Although I carry I do not recommend guns for protection for folks with no prior experience (or inclination). Bear spray or a taser might be a good substitute.

frater secessus said:
Although I carry I do not recommend guns for protection for folks with no prior experience (or inclination).  Bear spray or a taser might be a good substitute.

I agree completely with both parts of your first sentence.  As for your second sentence, be aware that tasers are not necessarily legal everywhere you go, and in states where pepper spray is legal, there are often laws specifying how strong it can be and what size containers are legal.

If - and I do say IF - Congress finally passes legislation mandating universal reciprocity for CCW permits, we may find ourselves in the odd situation where loaded guns are legal but less-lethal alternatives are not in some jurisdictions.

Well, nobody ever said that laws needed to make sense . . .

I like the idea of a baseball bat although currently I dont have one. I just have a big knife between my mattress and box spring. and a dog

Optimistic Paranoid said:
in states where pepper spray is legal, there are often laws specifying how strong it can be and what size containers are legal.

Just FYI, bear spray is considered by the feds to be a pesticide and is usually only about 2-4% OC...

Regular OC for self defense is MUCH stronger (but less of it) and then as you pointed out, also subject to local and state regulations.

tx2sturgis said:
Just FYI, bear spray is considered by the feds to be a pesticide and is usually only about 2-4% OC...

I honestly don't know what would happen if the local authorities someplace where there are no bears, like, oh, say Chicago, caught you with bear spray.  But I have my suspicions . . .

You know, a hundred years ago, we wouldn't even be having a conversation about whether a gun was necessary . . .

Colt.jpg

Attachments

• Colt.jpg
    Colt.jpg
    811.3 KB
I honestly don't know what would happen if the local authorities someplace where there are no bears, like, oh, say Chicago, caught you with bear spray.  But I have my suspicions . . .

Yes, but you could say the same thing about walking down the streets of Chicago with a can of spray paint, or a bottle of muriatic acid...

It's gonna be seen as a red flag, where a small pocket-sized OC for self defense is easily hidden.

I carried bear spray with me in Tampa Bay FL. State law there limits you to 2 ounces, so I had a little bottle strapped to the handlebars of my bicycle. It was for unfriendly doggies.

someplace where there are no bears, like, oh, say Chicago, caught you with bear spray.

18bd8e19.png

You guys caught that!

Wholy heck I didnt....I must be getting distracted easily....WTH...

Back to the Batcave...

You know, a hundred years ago, we wouldn't even be having a conversation about whether a gun was necessary . . .
I remember not having to have this conversation quite a bit less than 100 years ago. Boggles the mind. :dodgy:

Here's my small addition: As a frequent border crosser, I once (2015) got the pepper spray canister confiscated (had it in/for the states, forgot about it till I was going to re-enter Canada but declared it) and since then (lovely computers) I'm on their radar for having a "controlled item/weapon". I get sent in for secondary inspections every time. It doesn't take long in a Prius, I shudder to think of a van...  :s

It's just not worth it to me to carry or have anything "offensive" in nature. I get the "when you really need it you better have it" but I just don't want to deal with the hassles of a firearm/spray/knife when so many states have varying laws, as well as my frequent border crossings.  Were I to stay in Az (open carry state) most all the time it would be different, perhaps. The current climate of fear and mistrust in the US with LEO's and traffic stops or any interactions makes it doubly difficult for me to justify having a weapon. 

To those of you who can and do, that's fine, your choice, glad that it's still a choice!

Ballenxj said:
I remember not having to have this conversation quite a bit less than 100 years ago. Boggles the mind. :dodgy:

I remember in high school some of the kids drove pickups to school with rifles or shotguns in a gunrack in the back window of a pickup...

Now if you get caught in school with an aspirin or nail clippers they call the cops and you get dismissed from school, a new rap sheet, and its on CNN that night.

I'm old.

tx2sturgis said:
I remember in high school some of the kids drove pickups to school with rifles or shotguns in a gunrack in the back window of a pickup...

Now if you get caught in school with an aspirin or nail clippers they call the cops and you get dismissed from school, a new rap sheet, and its on CNN that night.

I'm old.
I'm old too. I remember those days. Grew up on a farm where having a gun was just part of the tool kit.
Today, a kid takes a bite out of a Pop Tart and the teacher freaks out because in her mind the Pop Tart now resembles a gun, and the kid gets suspended? Please, give me a break! :rolleyes:

tx2sturgis said:

I'm old.

Same up in Canada, what we call "long guns" were commonly visible in rural areas 40 years ago, now even the hunters in my family are careful who sees what and when... There's almost never a pistol in evidence, even if a couple relatives still have them, you just don't see them. Handgun registration became law in 1934...

"Who may carry handguns in Canada:
[font=Arial, sans-serif]UPDATED[/font]
  • Under the Criminal Code, handguns require an "authorization to carry."
  • The number of "authorizations to carry" issued averages 8,169 per year.
  • Most authorizations go to armoured car guards and people working in remote wilderness areas."
  • [font=Arial, sans-serif]The Firearms Act and Regulations spells out who else in Canada can legally carry handguns. Under the Criminal Code, handguns are classified as either restricted firearms or prohibited firearms, which require an "authorization to carry."[/font]
    Two categories for handgun authorization.
    There are just two categories of individuals who are allowed an authorization to carry: those who require one because of their occupations and those who need one for the "protection of life." They need to get an authorization from the chief firearms officer for their province or territory.
  • [font=Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]If one's life could be threatened by wild animals while working in a remote wilderness area and firearms are required for protection, then the act states that authorization is possible.[/font]
    [/font][/size]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]In 2002, 259 people who worked in remote wilderness were authorized to carry handguns, along with an additional 82 trappers.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Those numbers come from 2006. As well, 5,831 armoured car guards had authorization.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Protection of life authorizations rare[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Very few authorizations are made under the protection of life category. These would mostly include cases where there is an active police file and a verifiable threat as well as police confirmation that they cannot provide adequate protection for that person.[/font][/font][/size]
All "long guns" are registered as well.

For American visitors, this is what you have to deal with:

[font=Lato, HelveticaNeueBold, HelveticaNeue-Bold, 'Helvetica Neue Bold', HelveticaBold, Helvetica-Bold, 'Helvetica Bold', HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]FIREARMS ALLOWED, RESTRICTED AND PROHIBITED[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]Approval of the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration allows only standard rifles and shotguns commonly used for hunting and target shooting to be transported into or through Canada.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms. This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian.

Handguns with barrels shorter than 4-inches, fully automatic, converted automatics, and assault-type weapons are "prohibited" and not allowed in Canada. In addition, certain knives, even those used for hunting and fishing, may be considered prohibited weapons by Canadian officials.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]Reference "Canadian Gun Laws for American Travelers", June 03, 2017[/font]

Hmmm. I wonder if "standard shotgun commonly used for hunting and target shooting" includes the 18.5" barrel versions usually referred to as "security" weapons.