How important is a spare tire

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe I never saw this thread. if you travel the back country a spare is not an option, even with modern tires. I carry two, same tires I run on the truck. yes I have needed both on two different occasions. a couple of years ago on my buddies brand new toy hauler trailer, he had 2 flats and only 1 spare, one of the tires was ruined(I could put my fist through the hole). the other had a fairly large hole took 3 plugs and we still had 80 miles to go to get to a town with a tire store. we were sweating the whole way, but we drove slow and made it there. he now carries 2 spares for the trailer. so I would vote for carrying a spare. at least one, two if you are a long way from help. on another note I noticed at least 1 post where someone was talking about an awd Subaru. on all awd or full time 4wd you must use a tire of the same overall height or bad things happen. this goes for 2wd with posi traction or other traction axle too. highdesertranger

You need a spare. If the tire just comes apart it has to be replaced, if it happens in a 'bad spot' you may have to get the van towed. Then you have to get a tire for it.
The wrong time & wrong place for a flat & no spare could be really really bad.

Besides a spare with air in it.... I carry a can of fix-a-flat, a breaker bar with the proper 6 point socket (I can stand on the bar and bounce, it gets the lug nuts loose), a block of wood to chock the van, a jack that works and wood to put under the jack.
I get this for my kids cars too...

Rob

Are u guys in vans..wth do you fit all that? I have a spare and i hate the room it takes...2 would be improbable ..

I have the same issue I carry a spare but in the diesel vans no room exists under the back as the exhaust and battery are in the way. So it's inside rear passenger side. When not towing the trailer I thought about fabricating a spare holder to go into the receiver has anyone tried this?

wagoneer said:
I thought about fabricating a spare holder to go into the receiver has anyone tried this?

I haven't seen one, but that would work great, and be super easy to fab!

Just a 2" square tube welded at a 90* angle. The one end slides into the receiver, and the tire bolts to the other. (oh, I guess you'll hafta drill a few holes too!) :)

Killer idea!!

Do a search on Amazon for "spare tire carrier" and you'll see they sell exactly what you are describing. As well as a number of other options . . .

Regards
John

I found plenty of spare tire carriers in the wrecking yards. I could have one on each back door if I wanted them. I have seen them on top of vehicles and also on the front bumper.

I have seen those the problem is they are made primarily for 4 or 5 lug
lighter tires I am driving a one ton diesel with 8 lug heavy duty tires. But thanks for the heads-up I will fabricate like Patrick recommends .

GotSmart said:
I found plenty of spare tire carriers in the wrecking yards. I could have one on each back door if I wanted them. I have seen them on top of vehicles and also on the front bumper.

I too have occasionally seen a pickup truck or van with a spare tire mounted in the front. I don't see how they get away with that. That's GOT to obstruct the flow of air to the radiator!

Regards
John

I've carried my spare on the front of my F150 in the front receiver hitch, NEVER once had a problem with overheating.

All the carriers I've seen for a receiver hitch were fully adjustable, you could mount any size wheel or any number of lugs.
Bob

I think the concern is the weight of a large tire. I had rear door rack that carried a very heavy 8 lug split rim tire.

Look at an off-road site. There you will find any number of ways to carry a spare; front, back, roof, under ... Also vendors that sell those solutions.

As for cooling, with tire in front; look at NASCAR. Those cars have an extremely small air opening for 800+ HP engines that generate a lot more heat than yours.

-- Spiff

Thank you, Bob and Spaceman.

If I mount my spare up front, I can rethink my storage space needs . . .

Regards
John