How do you plan your trip?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say how much I enjoy this thread....it is wonderful how much alike we are in the way we travel...and yet we are wonderfully diverse in who we are and how we celebrate our 'freedom'.

Older thread but deserves a Bump...

I've been looking for travel apps that I can plug-in my end of day city as a destination where I'll spend the night for free along with at least one other free parking overnight spot locally as a backup.

As an example, I like to drive between 10 AM and 2 PM.
So from Point A to "Cabela's point B for free overnighting and a backup of Flying J truck stop (shower time).
Next day maybe only 2 hrs drive to see some sites and a Cracker Barrel is the local destination with a Bass Pro as backup.
2nd Day 3 hr drive and a known WalMart is first choice.... etc etc... eventually arrive at free campground and will spend a few days, break out the cooker/chairs and tarps and save some money by cooking my-ownself.

I drive a converted 21' box van so it fits into yr standard parking space.

Anyone have a free or cheap app that's fairly easy to use?

I tend to pick a destination with a well-proven boondocking spot, then once I'm there I familiarize myself with the general area, its attractions/sights, and its other boondocking options, gleaning info from locals and other nomads. Then I pick the next spot using what I learned.

The alternative is when I need to cover a lot of miles to be at a particular place at a particular time. Then I string together as many well-known boondocking spots as necessary and just hit and run.

I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. I'm just starting out and I'm not comfortable boondocking alone yet. Right now I have three trips planned, one of which I leave for tomorrow morning. I thought I could stay with some friends of mine at a half-way point, but they have not answered E-mail and I have to leave at 0630 a.m. So now I am on to plan B.

I have Campendium and freecampsites.net currently, thinking of checking out boondockers.com but also thinking since it is I-40, surely there weill be a Walmart, Cracker Barrel of a truck stop I can park my van in overnight.

This type of app would be very helpful, particularly for those of us just getting our nomad legs. I'll be following this thread, so thank you.

SheketEchad said:
I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. I'm just starting out and I'm not comfortable boondocking alone yet. Right now I have three trips planned, one of which I leave for tomorrow morning. I thought I could stay with some friends of mine at a half-way point, but they have not answered E-mail and I have to leave at 0630 a.m. So now I am on to plan

I saw on another thread you will be heading thru TN/KY. You are welcome at my place near Beaver Dam, KY. I have plenty of space and guests stop thru from time to time.

PM me if you’d like to stay with us.

One of my favorite apps is Overnightrvparking. It is designed for people driving on main highways who are looking for a place to park for the night, not for boondocking. The app charges a small annual fee. IIRC, it is about $25, but it quickly pays for itself.

Latest posts