How do I ground the neg wire to the frame?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Usually, with something like a van or a truck, the body of the vehicle is grounded to the frame. The ground straps often look like flat braided copper. ..Willy.

<span id="post_message_1277413074">"Did you know that battery electricity, dc,&nbsp;flows from positive to negitive? That is why you disconect the postive cable when charging an automotive battery."<br><br>This is exactly opposite. Electrons flow from negative DC to positive DC. Always disconnect the negative battery connection first. Be safe. Negative to metal no spark. Positive to metal bad news.<br></span>

Some charge controllers are positive ground, and not just the ones mentioned here.

Here are two quotes from the Renogy PWM30LCD ViewStar VS1024N, VS2014N, VS30124N manual:

NOTE:
There are two type of grounds for this controller: Positive and negative grounds. The type of grounding will be respective to the model of the charge controller. VSXXXXN the letter “N” indicates negative ground.

and

CAUTION:
On some occasions the controller must be connected to ground. If your system consists of a positive ground, then the positive pole of the battery must be connected to ground. If your system consists of a negative ground, then the negative pole of the battery must be connected to ground. The most common connection is a negative ground, but the controller supports positive as well if your system requires this type of grounding.

I take no responsibility for anything that arises from reading the manual, I'm just the messenger.

I believe the battery configuration determines the polarity of the system ground. Motor vehicles have been negative ground for longer than most on this forum have had experience. You may find an early VW or even a Ford from the 50's. But in general terms, our system is negative ground. When working on a battery always disconnect the ground before the other. Mostly that will be the negative terminal. Always connect the negative to the negative, on modern American motor vehicles that is ground. Always disconnect the ground first and connect the ground last.
Electrons move from negative to positive in DC systems. Henry thought the ignition spark would be better if moving from the electrode toward the engine block. Most every thing else on a vehicle doesn't care about electron direction.

If I recall correctly, manufacturers standardized on negative ground when they realized that positive ground cars had more corrosion problems caused by galvanic action.

Also, again if I recall correctly, the Brits were the last holdouts and were still running "positive earths" after everyone else had gone to negative ground.

Just a little automotive trivia . . .

Regards
John

Not so much a reply but a further question do pv panels also need grounding 
my kyocera panels have holes in the frame with ground symbols
 can i wire them together on the frame and run a cable down to the rv frame 
Thanks
Roy

1977dodge said:
Not so much a reply but a further question do pv panels also need grounding 
my kyocera panels have holes in the frame with ground symbols
 can i wire them together on the frame and run a cable down to the rv frame 
Thanks
Roy

AFAIK, panels on a house or building need to be grounded to their mounting frame, and the mounting frame is grounded to the same ground rod that the house's electrical service is grounded to.  This is required by the National Electrical Code.

On vehicles, I don't believe they need to be grounded, and I don't see where grounding them to the vehicle's frame accomplishes anything anyway, what with the vehicle being insulated from the ground via four or more rubber tires.

Regards
John 

I've never grounded solar panels nor have I heard of anyone else grounding them.

I ground my batteries to the frame and the solar panel is grounded (through the controller) to the batteries--so you could say I indirectly ground them. However, I know people who don't even bother grounding their batteries and have no problems.
Bob