How do I figure out a toilet for a teenie space in my..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started off with a Thetford Porta Potti 165 which was perfect - except for the horror of emptying it and cleaning the holding tank!

For small van use I got the compact Thetford Porta Potti 335 which again was perfect, but with the emptying and cleaning issues I had on the 165.

Then I got a BranQ Portable Toilet 22 Litre size which I fitted with 22 litre bin liners and used it for solid waste only.

The Bucket & Bag system was far better than using the Thetford Porta Potties and the square shape of the bucket means it stores well and is used to store a bag of smokeless charcoal briquettes when not in use as a toilet.

BranQ also make the toilet in a small size which is just 11 inches high and around a foot square, ideal for low roof vehicles.

They also make a BBQ Bucket which is exactly the same shape and size of their large portable toilet, but with a lid which makes it a camp seat too, instead of the toilet seat and lid fitted to their portable toilets.

These are really strong, well made products which are inexpensive too, at around $18 each.

[quote pid='540263' dateline='1623436072']
...and is used to store a bag of smokeless charcoal briquettes when not in use as a toilet.
[/quote]
I realize this is a potty thread, but I'd like to know more about the briquettes!

Ohmygosh!! They have them on Ebay for way less, and brand new still in the box one of them?? Can I show you some pics and see which you might buy if it were you??

Here's the link to the page fk!! Be sure and look at the less expensive brands down below in small pictures!! I want one of these if you are happy with yours, sooooooo much easier for me than pooping in a bucket!! lol!!

port o potties
We have used the Thetford brand for years and really cost around $100.00 last got one? Can go for weeks before emptying and if can separate the urine longer. However it is 'literally dealing with your own body waste' LOL However we have been flushing billions of clean water down the toilet for way too long, I did a report in college and was shocked at how much water we waste flushing and then where all that goes. Also I switched to some more eco friendly less chemy than the blue stuff got at Wally in the RV section and is green however I only use in the summer as the odor is more prolific in the heat. And found emptying sooner to alleviate odors too.

truck bed :huh: I'm worrying about everything, but this one is really tough for me to figure. I know I have to have a container with "strong" plastic liners for #2. I don't think we will be near any toilets while Doug is working on my truck-bed build. Boon-docking, I'm going to be boon-docking and if I were scared "shit-less" that might help with the situation :s but I know I won't be so I need to figure this out. I already know from Doug that we have to haul our "stuff" out to a dump, but until then, store it in bags, omg, help!!

#1 I can figure, maybe a plastic (with lid) coffee container. Lord I hope I can get something over the windows quickly. I know you all have this figured out by now if you are in a small rig, and I plan to do most of my camping where there are toilets. But for this trip, I have to learn how to do this. I don't know how to control the smell either unless I can get a tight lid, air-tight.

I'm realizing how absolutely spoiled I am :s But being spoiled is not what I want to be anymore. Well, maybe with some things but not money, and a bunch of meaningless belongings.

Any help welcome, Denise
Cassette Toilet works great.

I got some cheap thing on Amazon which worked fine, but is just so gross to deal with disposing of the waste, and even with the enzyme/chemicals that you add to the water it still generates a pretty nasty gas output. Though I suppose it could be worse without the chemicals!
I hardly use it. Been having good luck staying at campgrounds with facilities or just using public restrooms at Starbucks, Lowes etc.
Though with Omicron: Covid PT 2 a lot of Starbucks are going to drive through only.

Having lived full time in an RV for years I knew that I wanted to use a full RV style bathroom, and shower if I wanted to shower inside in cold weather. It took giving up 28.5 inches of van space, front to back, to have a full bathroom. It all fits between the wheel wells too. I just gave up on the idea of a garage under the bed for junk that I might need in a few years. I have 31 gallons of blackwater and 30 gallons of freshwater. Now I'm adding a tent room to the back that can serve as an outdoor shower if I want it for that. It attaches to the rain gutter on the van and has a couple of stainless "D" rings at each end of where it attaches. You could place a 5 gallon bucket back there if you wanted privacy and plenty of room. I use the back end as a mechanical room for the electric, solar, and plumbing while also having enough space for an outdoor kitchen. That tent room has roll up & down panels and two doors, one on each side so that I can keep one open in the wind. You make it yourself with fabric and glue. There is no sewing required.

I have an opaque pee bottle and a little Triptips plastic camping toilet from Amazon. The plastic toilet one, not their soft cushiony one, holds up to 400 lbs, is 13.2 inches wide and 10 inches tall. It can easily fit in the foot well of my back passenger seat. Fill a plastic garbage bag with kitty litter, do the doo, then twist tie the bag shut.

Port a potties are too big of buck for me this month but how I'd love to have one. I think I saw those Shewee things they let you pee like a guy right? I think the soap container and a shewee sound real smart but doubt I can stand up straight enough, under a truck canopy, LOL!! I could try it home first, bent over, LOLLLLLLL!!
Standing bent over to wee is hard, have you thought of kneeling?

truck bed :huh: I'm worrying about everything, but this one is really tough for me to figure. I know I have to have a container with "strong" plastic liners for #2. I don't think we will be near any toilets while Doug is working on my truck-bed build. Boon-docking, I'm going to be boon-docking and if I were scared "shit-less" that might help with the situation :s but I know I won't be so I need to figure this out. I already know from Doug that we have to haul our "stuff" out to a dump, but until then, store it in bags, omg, help!!

#1 I can figure, maybe a plastic (with lid) coffee container. Lord I hope I can get something over the windows quickly. I know you all have this figured out by now if you are in a small rig, and I plan to do most of my camping where there are toilets. But for this trip, I have to learn how to do this. I don't know how to control the smell either unless I can get a tight lid, air-tight.

I'm realizing how absolutely spoiled I am :s But being spoiled is not what I want to be anymore. Well, maybe with some things but not money, and a bunch of meaningless belongings.

Any help welcome, Denise
Have you heard about the gamma lid and bucket? Gamma lid is a screw top lid that lets you seal all the vapors inside an easy to open and close screw top. This is used exclusively for solid waste. I also throw a handful of fine wood chips in to help with smell and moisture. I use a portable urinal for liquid waste. My grandparents and some of my aunts used to keep a coffee can beside the bed to pee in, even with indoor plumbing. My grandparents had an outhouse for many years, yet continued to use the coffee can even after they got indoor plumbing.

Port a potties are too big of buck for me this month but how I'd love to have one. I think I saw those Shewee things they let you pee like a guy right? I think the soap container and a shewee sound real smart but doubt I can stand up straight enough, under a truck canopy, LOL!! I could try it home first, bent over, LOLLLLLLL!!
Solo cup, large size, pee in it, pour that into a laundry product bottle. I use a fabric softener bottle bc it's small enough to fit in my medium size purse and i can take it to any restroom and empty it. No one knows. ..the poo part.. I'm sure you'll find a way that works for you;) I had to figure that part out for my own situation. I have what I call my Car-V. I've had motor home, 5th wheel, cabover..as long as I'm out there:)

Solo cup, large size, pee in it, pour that into a laundry product bottle. I use a fabric softener bottle bc it's small enough to fit in my medium size purse and i can take it to any restroom and empty it. No one knows. ..the poo part.. I'm sure you'll find a way that works for you;) I had to figure that part out for my own situation. I have what I call my Car-V. I've had motor home, 5th wheel, cabover..as long as I'm out there:)
PS, get on your knees in the seat pee in the cup. Wet wipes and trash bag handy. :)

This would be less convenient for those who hold up (more than) half the world, but it works fine for me. Like many, I usually find a public facility, or take a trowel and make a cathole, but occasionally outside, and very rarely inside, my Prius, I use a landfill-biodegradable bag* in a child's folding travel potty1642168527343.png(the little orange “spray shield” snaps out so that I can free my manly part to use a BigMouth water jug- which makes this a “separating toilet”).1642168570332.png
The contents of the BigMouth can be diluted and safely poured onto plants. The contents of the bag can be discarded into whatever trash receptacle is available (with no more harm than a used nappy/diaper- maybe less) or, when traveling in sensitive areas, can be put in a kayaker's poop tube for later disposal.

Outside the car I just squat on the potty. Inside, with the potty on the rear seat, I adopt a certain attitude.

1642168625992.png

Sometimes I sit and think, but not for long.

Because I am removing the bag right away, there is no need for chemicals, and any odor is momentary.

I am separating, so there's no need for absorbent material, and the load on the local landfill is reduced to an absolute minimum.

Obviously, while the tiny potty works for me, others might need to sit on something larger and find a way to separate while doing so.

*I don't use “compostable” bags (most municipalities don't do composting) or “biodegradable” bags, because most of those don't decompose in a landfill.
1642168762017.png1642168781785.png

I use an inexpensive 2 part setup. The main part is the Luggable Loo, a 5-gallon container with a snap-on toilet seat with a snap-closed lid, which costs about $20 -30. More expensive on Amazon not sure why. https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Luggable-Portable-Standard/dp/B07Z2B1YYY/ref=sr_1_5
In this bucket I put pine shavings or forest mulch at the base. Then I have a smaller plastic container, about 4 quart size, costs maybe $5 at a hardware or paint store, that fits just inside the toilet seat of the Luggable Loo, and is held up with some thin wire that is attached to 2 of its sides, and contoured to fit over the toilet seat and down so it can be held up while in use, removed when not needed.
So this becomes a 2-part container system which can be used to separate #1 and #2. When you're doing #1 you have the smaller container in place and sit on the luggable loo and do your business. Then when done, pour the liquid from the smaller container into a bottle preferable with a wide mouth lid, and screw on top. I use a funnel kept just for this purpose to avoid any spills. Screw the lid on and set aside, to be disposed of in a vault toilet (or standard public toilet) when you pass by one of those.
When you need to do #2 you remove the smaller inner container and do your business. Then add more pine shavings/forest mulch on top to cover up the waste as this helps reduce odor. The whole bucket can be emptied at a vault toilet intermittently.

This would be less convenient for those who hold up (more than) half the world, but it works fine for me. Like many, I usually find a public facility, or take a trowel and make a cathole, but occasionally outside, and very rarely inside, my Prius, I use a landfill-biodegradable bag* in a child's folding travel pottyView attachment 30077(the little orange “spray shield” snaps out so that I can free my manly part to use a BigMouth water jug- which makes this a “separating toilet”).View attachment 30078
The contents of the BigMouth can be diluted and safely poured onto plants. The contents of the bag can be discarded into whatever trash receptacle is available (with no more harm than a used nappy/diaper- maybe less) or, when traveling in sensitive areas, can be put in a kayaker's poop tube for later disposal.

Outside the car I just squat on the potty. Inside, with the potty on the rear seat, I adopt a certain attitude.

View attachment 30079

Sometimes I sit and think, but not for long.

Because I am removing the bag right away, there is no need for chemicals, and any odor is momentary.

I am separating, so there's no need for absorbent material, and the load on the local landfill is reduced to an absolute minimum.

Obviously, while the tiny potty works for me, others might need to sit on something larger and find a way to separate while doing so.

*I don't use “compostable” bags (most municipalities don't do composting) or “biodegradable” bags, because most of those don't decompose in a landfill.
View attachment 30080View attachment 30081
I agree that a lot of stuff we think is recycled (composted?) - isn't. But I also am pretty sure whatever we put in the trash will find its way to the landfill.

Once there, compostable bags should disintegrate. They and their contents can break down (compost) and rejoin the ecosystem. I fear that if I use a plain plastic bag it (and the contents) will just sit there pretty much forever and serve no constructive purpose at all.

I'm going to be in a small SUV and before that I was in a small car. I have a shaker bottle from Walmart that I pee in - just scoot to the edge of the seat, hold it against your body at an angle, and pee - and a little 13.2 in x 10.8 in x 10 in round collapsible toilet that I use for everything else. It fits perfectly in the foot well of my back passenger seat with the passenger seat pushed all the way forward. I line it with a plastic bag filled with cat litter. When finished, I twist it close, double tie it, and throw it away asap. I crack a window or the sunroof afterwards to get rid of any odors.

Edited to add: I place a drop of bleach in the shaker bottle to eliminate any odors and pour it out in a toilet when I can. The Mainstay shaker bottles from Walmart have awesome leak-proof lids to keep protein shakes from going everywhere when people shake them up.

TRIPTIPS Portable Toilet for Car Travel Toilet Camping Toilet Portable Potty for Adults, Bucket Toilet, Waterproof Portable Folding Toilet for Car/Boat/Hiking/Long Trips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088646MK...t_i_JFSBJDDGD5FVFP4YYNBC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Link to my toilet ---

PS If you put a drop of bleach in your pee bottle - I use a Mainstay shaker bottle - it won't stink at all (it will have a little bleach smell of course but I can deal with that).

TRIPTIPS Portable Toilet for Car Travel Toilet Camping Toilet Portable Potty for Adults, Bucket Toilet, Waterproof Portable Folding Toilet for Car/Boat/Hiking/Long Trips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088646MK...t_i_JFSBJDDGD5FVFP4YYNBC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1