How do I figure out a toilet for a teenie space in my..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
truck bed :huh: I'm worrying about everything, but this one is really tough for me to figure.  I know I have to have a container with "strong" plastic liners for #2.  I don't think we will be near any toilets while Doug is working on my truck-bed build.  Boon-docking, I'm going to be boon-docking and if I were scared "shit-less" that might help with the situation :s but I know I won't be so I need to figure this out.  I already know from Doug that we have to haul our "stuff" out to a dump, but until then, store it in bags, omg, help!!

#1 I can figure, maybe a plastic (with lid) coffee container.  Lord I hope I can get something over the windows quickly.  I know you all have this figured out by now if you are in a small rig, and I plan to do most of my camping where there are toilets.  But for this trip, I have to learn how to do this.  I don't know how to control the smell either unless I can get a tight lid, air-tight.

I'm realizing how absolutely spoiled I am :s But being spoiled is not what I want to be anymore.  Well, maybe with some things but not money, and a bunch of meaningless belongings.

Any help welcome, Denise

A lot of people use buckets separate urine from poo to eliminate most odeurs. A lot of dwellers poopoo porta potties but personally I like them. I separate pee from poo, you could too with the help of a shewee or a similar contraption. I pee in a plastic laundry soap container empty regularly. I have left waste in the porta potty for up to three weeks with no issues with odours. I use the blue chemicals but only half of recommended amounts and that seems to work.

Port a potties are too big of buck for me this month but how I'd love to have one. I think I saw those Shewee things they let you pee like a guy right? I think the soap container and a shewee sound real smart but doubt I can stand up straight enough, under a truck canopy, LOL!! I could try it home first, bent over, LOLLLLLLL!!

flying kurbmaster said:
I use the blue chemicals but only half of recommended amounts and that seems to work.
Ohmygosh!! They have them on Ebay for way less, and brand new still in the box one of them??  Can I show you some pics and see which you might buy if it were you??

Here's the link to the page fk!!  Be sure and look at the less expensive brands down below in small pictures!!  I want one of these if you are happy with yours, sooooooo much easier for me than pooping in a bucket!! lol!!

port o potties

do a keyword research on Bob's YouTube channel where he goes through all of the options of how to make it work

G0ldengirl68 said:
Ohmygosh!! They have them on Ebay for way less, and brand new still in the box one of them??  Can I show you some pics and see which you might buy if it were you??

Here's the link to the page fk!!  Be sure and look at the less expensive brands down below in small pictures!!  I want one of these if you are happy with yours, sooooooo much easier for me than pooping in a bucket!! lol!!

port o potties
I got one similar to the cheap 39.00 dollar one. Had for several years seems to work fine, my brother has the larger more expensive one and ot also works fine been used for crews on job sites for several years. That cheap one comes in different sizes, more storage, I have smallest amount of storage, which makes it easier to store. you will find that you don’t use it that much but when you need to you are happy to have it. I initially bought it for looks if anyone ever questioned my self containedness but started using after having it sitting new and unused for several years, in a moment of desperation, realized it worked fine. Not everyone likes them so best check out the complaints about them before buying, a lot of people struggle with dumping them but I have not had an issue with splash back if you are careful once you get used to them they work.

You can bury it. No need to go to a dump. Now don't bury it in a plastic bag.

You can buy biodegradable TP but even then many will still argue to pack it out. Still, easily done in a resealable freezer bag.

We are down 140' in water depth at Lake Powell, when people ask how come I simply explain due to the lack of rain and snow run off our only other source of water is urine from free ranging livestock and people peeing in the lake, and that ear infections are the number one reason for visits to the clinic which is open this time of year so wear your life jacket and try to keep your head out of the water. Our water testing actually showed measurable caffeine in the Colorado River last year. Be sure you know how and where you can dig a cat hole and consider how many others have visited the area before doing so.

From what I see the cheaper ones all seem to be 5 gallons. That's 40lbs. of stuff when full. You can empty them before they're full though. For me though, I'd rather deal with the extra weight than dumping them more frequently.

A Thetford 135 is $84 and not a lot more than some unknown brand. 2.5 gallons would be easier to handle.

If you will need one for more than temporary use, you might want to spend the extra $ for better quality.

I have a Port-a-potti. I would give it away if anybody wants it. I found the bucket and bag method much easier to deal with. Highdesertranger

how long is your boondock time? if shorter go pee in the woods. done it alot and will continue to do just that and if you use some wipes then bring a big zip lock baggie to put your tp into if needed.......your length of time boondocking will be what will kinda control your needs.

you got #2 handled then cool but pee....pee is simple out in the woods to me and not a thought after that. Just don't drop wipe/tp etc....bag that out. Big double plastic zip lock baggie and leave outside somewhere and ditch later.

See I am also one who will go out in the dead of night, in the dark with a flashlight and pee in the woods....but if worried then a pee container inside is cool too if required.

don't overthink it either truly....everyone goes, just enjoy the go as simple as you can! :)

My two cents -- I saw so many dug-up cat holes last year. And tons of toilet paper dug up or never buried. Unless you are pooping so far off the beaten path, burying it deep enough, and packing out every scrap of TP, I kinda hate you. I'll bet the rangers do, too.

Back to the heart of the subject: GG, lots of minivan and car people use a bucket in a little shower/bathroom tent when needed. I can tell you from my own recent experience that there are plenty of free and cheap campgrounds with vault toilets. So if you aim for them, you'll only need an emergency solution.

BTW, I have a P-Style. It is kinda fun to pee like a man out in the wilds! Protip: never pee against the wind 0_o

Practice peeing in a funnel or she-wee in the shower at home first...easier cleanup.

I bought my wife some of the female funnels. 4 of them (reusable) for less than $5. I got a funny look and I haven't asked her if she has practiced yet.

And, ya know, don’t let yourself get too bogged down in trying to figure out the perfect solution to all things.

You will learn what is best for you as you go.

Start simple and feel your way thru, is my motto.

Hey wondering Rose, considering the title that the OP put on this thread, you’re line that says you will learn as you “go”is right on.

Funny. :)

Personally, squatting on the ground or over a coffee can would just not be doable for my aging knees.

I would be likely to upend myself and whatever I was squatting over.

Height sufficient to accommodate individual needs/flexibility would be an important consideration.