How do I clean battery terminals using baking soda?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judyg

Reaction score
My van house battery has multiple things hard wired to it.  It's a heavy duty car battery.  There is a lot of green stuff growing on both terminals.  Do I need to remove all wires before cleaning?  I know that soda & water will dissolve that stuff but does anyone know the ratio of water to soda?  And once cleaned is peanut butter still a good idea to smear on the terminals to prevent this happening again?

Thanks for any advice.

DON"T let any get inside the battery cells.

Make a thick paste with the baking soda and water. If the green stuff is really caked on you'll need a wire brush to scrub. Otherwise a tooth brush might work.

I'd use Vaseline, not peanut butter. You don't want to attract rodents.

Wear gloves. And protect your eyes.That stuff is corrosive.

I usually put a few teaspoons of baking soda into 1 cup of water and stir it up well.
I try to park on an incline so my battery is at quite an angle, usually try and get the battery posts side at the lowest.
I pour the solution over it slowly, usually scrub with a small brass brush, but have used toothbrushes also.
I repeat until done.

Expect a lot of bubbling, don't do it over an area that the runoff might ruin.

So, mix, pour, scrub, pour , scrub, until bubbly factor is gone, which simply means there is no more chemical reaction taking place,
and the posts,connectors are clean!

the way Cyndi said is the way I do it. make a thick paste and remove the wires, dip the wires in paste. let it work awhile then rinse with lots of fresh water. if it needs more do it again, for really stubborn corrosion take a small wire brush to the terminals. use caution do not get it in your eyes or on your skin or clothes. it will also eat paint and cause corrosion on metal so you must flush thoroughly with water. as for preventing corrosion you want to block oxygen from reaching the terminals anything that does this works. Vaseline or grease are old time cures that work. those impregnated felt rings that you get at the parts stores work and the spray on stuff works. basically anything that stops O2 will work. highdesertranger

Thanks Everyone, You're so awesome! Feeling like I can do this thing now.

corrosion visible could mean corrosion interfering with the connection, also. you should remove wires and brush and scrape to renew clean surface for the connection. always remove the ground (negative) connection first. Then the other. Reconnect the ground last. Make all connection surfaces shiny metal. to repeat, pb is not for that. use vaseline or petroleum grease.

i think regular grease (wheel bearing/chassis) is better than Vaseline....i had my hood open a while doing some work and the sun was blazing....
the Vaseline i had on the terminals just melted and ran off, making a mess.

I use a paste-like compound called No Alox. You can find it at Lowes , HD , Do It , Electrical supply , Hdw-etc.
We used to use it on feed connections in AC boxes.
But I use it all over my rig's wiring to keep corrosion free. (kneed the bottle to mix well before using , just a film is all you need) 1 bottle has lasted mt a long time.....lots of other things will work but I had this so...................

I'm not going to say that the way I do it is necessarily right, but I do it regularly on new van purchases and it seems to work very well...

I sprinkle dry baking soda on each terminal, then add the water with a spray bottle. Wait until it stops foaming, then clean everything up using paper towels. Do wear rubber gloves and eye protection and be careful not to get any on your clothes.

After that is done and everything is clean, I disconnect the terminals and use a battery tool to clean them.

On mine, I keep these round felt washers from the battery store. Don't know what's in them for sure, but they totally prevent any corrosion for the life of the battery. I replace them with new ones when I replace a battery.

Often, when there is lots of green and/or white cauliflower type corrosion next to the battery posts, it indicates that the battery clamp hardware was overtightened, and the seal around the post itself, broken. Then when charging, instead of charging gasses escaping from the cell caps, they exit right though the bases of the posts and acceleration of corrosion is inevitable with that sulfuric acid mist that escapes with the hydrogen and oxygen gasses.

Do Not get Baking soda inside the cells. With the recessed caps on many batteries this is not easy to accomplish.

Peanut butter? I've never heard of that one. I would avoid such products with high prejudice on battery terminals just for the rodent factor as it seems some vehicles use peanut butter infused wires, when presented to the right rodent.

A good thick high temp grease is good for protection after cleaning of ALL corrosion, and this means removing the connections and cleaning thoroughly, not just cleaning what can be seen while everything is still connected.

One other thing to note is to take a picture of the connections before removal, or mark themn (+) and (-) as SOOOOO many reports exist online of somebody either cleaning corrosion and or replacing their battery hooking it up incorrectly and causing possible extensive damage to electrical components when reversing the polarity on reconnection.

The felt washers I have seen are dry and need to be impregnated with grease.

If the cauliflower corrosion has wicked under the wire insulation it can cause issues too, and remain invisible. I have personally seen such horrid corrosion creep up the battery cables and cause a no start and or No charge condition. Even when the insulation was stripped off and the wires wire brushed shiny, the resistance at the connection was so high, the heating so bad under starting or charging currents, that cable replacement was necessary and the solution. I am not quite sure how electrons could decide to not flow through copper surrounded by corrosion, later cleaned off, only that the copper simply had developed such high resistance where the corrosion was, that the cable was too compromised to pass any significant current, and the only solution was replacement.

I did once cut off a problem battery lug and a few inches of cable and crimped on a new lug onto the same cable with only a slight improvement, and replacement was again the solution, and the effort and new cable lug crimped on, a waste of time and money.

If there are remaining issues with starting or charging after a battery swap and or terminal cleaning, consider the cables themselves to be compromised and replacement necessary. Appearance alone of battery cables is not definitive as to whether they are adequate or compromised.

And a clean tight protected connection is a good investment in reliability and starting and recharging performance.

Do make sure to check the main battery to engine and battery to firewall grounds where they connect to to engine and firewall. These are notorious for causing current bottlenecks and bizarre electrical issues. Once again outward physical appearance is not indicative of their condition. Remove, file to a silvery finish, and retighten.

SW
I've noticed that wire gone bad effect as well.
Where the wire sometimes actually turns black !
Not sure what cause was , corrosion or more likely overheating?
Agree to just replace the wire , have tried cutting out the bad part or sanding/scraping the individual strands but with mixed results , usually bad , easier to just replace it once and for all !
Ditto on checking /redoing the grounds while in there.

Why does there exist an unknown magic button on laptops which make everything typed disappear? this button is somewhere in the vicinity of the backspace button, perhaps in combo with the shift or control key

Just had a response disappear. Desire to bring out sledgehammer, increasing.

Me thinks poor purity copper in combination with charging gasses and green/white corrosion is the cause of extreme resistance still present in wires cleaned of said corrosion.

Autoparts stores replacement cables are junk. SAE 4 gauge cable ~20% less copper than 4 AWG cable, and uses steel ring terminals.

Junk.

If not an emergency, order top quality custom length cables at AP store prices from here:

http://www.genuinedealz.com/custom-cables/custom-battery-cable-assembly

Fast and free shipping, top quality components assembled with top quality tools.

I work at a used car lot. We do it the way Cyndi does. I agree on don't use peanut butter. Use something made for cars. The felt pads are are a good idea too. As everyone has said, don't get it on your skin.

When I find myself in that situation, If it is available I dump some coke on the acid mess.  It also cleans off road tar.

Thanks to all the great advice! A great course in corrosion cleaning. You see where after the 4th response I said "feeling like I can do this thing"? I didn't wait on further response to get on w/ the project. That was Before reading ccbreeders post about removing all negative wires first, re-connect them last & to scrape the metal.

Ah-hmmm....here's how it went.

This battery is connected to my solar system and also hard wired to it is a Road Pro fan & an LED wall light. So 4 wires on each post under a mound of green stuff. First order of business was to roll my foam mattress to one side of the bed, unscrew the plywood half over the battery & remove it so I could get to the work area.

"what to unfasten first?" since no one (so far) had said...how difficult could it be, eh? Seemed like a good idea to un-do teh connections to my inverter first. I put those wires far off to the side and away from each other & weighted them down so they'd stay put.

In order to contain the mess I'd taped cardboard from a cereal box onto the bed frame 2"X4" .
I considered the battery as if it were a live bomb, staring at it as I pondered my next step. Nothing happened when I tapped my little adjustable wrench quickly onto the negative post. Woo-Hoo! Lets remove these first. A lot of the green stuff broke away when I unscrewed the nut. As I removed each wire, I taped it onto the waiting cardboard....Positive wires were taped a good distance from the negative ones. The LED light wires were only split up so far so those were taped to a separate cardboard. Before removing those positive wires, I gave the post a little tap with the wrench as well. No spark so I was confident enough to continue.

Once free of all wires, I placed the battery, outside onto a section of sweatshirt fabric I'd saved for rags. Using a toothbrush I slowly swept the corrosion away from me toward a piece of cardboard I held out away from the battery. This deflected all the green stuff down onto the fabric. Then I dipped the brush into soda solution & cleaned the posts, rinsed w/ water & wiped off w/ another rag.
I was wearing a rubbery type glove that eventually became a bit wet on the finger tips by the end of the project when I switched to Latex free gloves.

After that I dipped each wire end in the soda water, then gently brushed, poked at w/ the screw driver & rubbed w/ a rag then swished them in plain water & dried off again (this is were my gloves eventually became a bit damp). After cleaning, each wire was re-taped to it's place.

It was a very long process & some of the green stuff up on the base of the wiring itself did not come off & I proclaimed it "good enough".
When I re-attached the wires, I reversed the process that worked for removing them by putting the positive wires on first......In tightening the nut, my wrench slipped & made connection w/ the post & wires. Sparks & a little fire flew but only briefly as the wrench is slipping off & I'm helping that along with frantic little flips of my fingers. No wiring was melted by this little mishap so a deep breath & I continue getting that nut snug and go on to re-attach the negative wires and finally connect the wires ends back onto my inverter. Do a test to be sure all systems are truly working again...Yes!!
I put Vaseline on the posts as I don't have any grease. By the time I did the final cleanup, got the plywood back in place & bed made I'd used 3 hours of my afternoon.

And Then I came here to brag about my great accomplishment only to read more advice & realize that my job was not exactly 100% correct.
Ah well....such is life. It will do for now and I will keep in mind possible damage being done to the wiring itself.
I'm very happy that I intuitively removed & replaced the wires correctly and kept everything organized so each wire was put back onto it's correct post!!

You folks have given me a great tutorial in caring for my battery & wiring.....Thanks So Much

Judy, please, next time have the video camera rolling.

And congratulations!

And if you clean those regularly you shouldn't have to take all the wires off, or even use the paste. A dry toothbrush will work just fine.

Small correction to my post above ...I used inverter when it was the wires fastened to the converter that I removed first.
Yes, Cindy, I'll be in Bob's bad graces to have done this when he wasn't around to film it. He's still taking care of some business at Ehrenberg while I've escaped to the cooler temps of Pahrump NV.

Moving camp soon was mentioned when it began to get hot in Ehrenberg 2-3 wks (?) ago...i was immediately "OOOooooh Oooooh. move camp?! road trip?! Oooooh give me a couple days! I'm all for going somewhere I've never been. Bob had a loooong list of but-first-I-gotta....I had an opportunity to practice patience. But my patience is not infinite. Ha. One day he heard "I gotta go Now." from me and I heard "Okey dokey. See ya in a week" from him. He drew me a map & off I went. He's such a great guy!

You have accomplished much and the connections are better now. The next time will go much easier and you will get those connections shiny. I am wondering how you got a sparking if the negative wires were not connected. As we all have done. Learn from mistakes and experience counts.

Judy...Job well done for first attempt :)
Next time try the proper size wrench(s) rather than the adjustable. I think you'll find it much easier.
After making everything all shiny, give each connector, as well as battery lugs a very light coat of petroleum jelly before re-connecting.

BtW...auto parts stores have stainless and brass brushes about the size of toothbrushes.
Rinse and dry those tools afterwards.

Enjoy Parump.