the mouse that won't leave!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnieE350van

Reaction score
Sept. 30, 2018: a critter has gotten in my van...I've had critters get in before, especially if I left a window or door open for any length of time...but they always left willingly.
This is a different story however...
In the middle of the night I hear the scratch, scratch, of something unidentified. at first I thought it was something outside the van and didn't give it much attention but it kept up, so I sat up the rest of the night with the light on in my van.
the next day it's pouring rain, so I can't do much about it.  that night when I got into the van for the night I caught a glimpse of the noisemaker...
A mouse...5 years of full time living in my vehicle and NO problems with mice...until now...
another night without much sleep as it decided to crawl on my covers, which I felt, and knocked it off. it thumped against the door of the van and disappeared into the inner reaches of who knows where...
Still raining, so I can't empty out the van and evict the sucker...
It's now 6 October, I finally was able to empty the van and straighten things up...lot's of evidence of the mouse...a large trash bag of things that were gotten into, but no actual mouse...hopefully it left... three bait traps set out in different spots for 2 days now aren't even touched...
So I go to bed  with the light on and a small motion light positioned on the floor behind my sleeping space, which gets tripped 2-3 times each night...not much sleep actually happening right now...when the scratching starts I whack the totes, walls, etc. with a large machete and the noise stops for a while, so I doze off again...but it's taking a toll...
whatever happened to the pellet style bait that used to be available?? just open the triangular box, set it out, the mouse would eat it and DIE...
I can't find it anywhere here in Maine, just these stupid self contained cube style bait traps that the rodent goes in, nibbles  the bait and then supposedly goes in search of water then dies?...HA

A few words of advice: 1.) NEVER leave any kind of food open and lying around in your vehicle, it's an open invitation for a vermin invasion...
2.) Heavy duty totes with secure lids are your best friend as they make it harder for critters to chew through...
3.) If a rodent gets in, don't be complacent about taking the necessary steps to expedite it's removal...they can be very destructive and
hazardous to your life, especially if they start chewing wiring...I know of an incident where a rodent chewed a brake line and it wasn't
known that it was happening until the couple left, travelling  down the road to their next destination, and the RV caught fire. they were unable to unhitch the tow vehicle and lost everything but their lives...
not something I ever want to experience!!!

You need a Corn Snake. He'll solve your mouse problem--and they make great pets. :)

I agree. Snake will follow Mousie into all the tiny places, inside the walls. You won't have any more rodent troubles! Especially now that it's truly fall and critters are making their winter home arrangements, having a guardian critter is a good thing.

If you can't abide a friendly snake, a cat might be a good second best, or a terrier.

The Dire Wolfess

"Heavy duty totes with secure lids are your best friend as they make it harder for critters to chew through..."

Totes can slow down a mouse, but a hungry mouse can eventually chew through anything except metal or glass. I pack all loose foods, including ones in cardboard or sealed plastic containers, in those metal boxes used to hold Danish Xmas cookies. These metal boxes can often be found in thrift stores for $1-2 dollars.

The reason the traps aren't working is that the mouse is finding risk-free food. Once food is sealed in the metal cookie boxes, the traps will become irresistable for rodents. It is important to clear up all crumbs & leftovers after each meal.

Good luck with your critter. Adorable as they are, they pee on everything and it really adds up after a while. A short while! The stench and hte poop pellets -- ugh! Really not good.

I was storing flour in good quality Rubbermaid plastic containers in the cellar of the house I'm staying outside, but rats got into them. They don't need much incentive; I guess they have a good sense of smell. Now I don't put anything but canned goods there.

Do you guys put even bread in metal boxes and such? Some things, like onions and bread, and bananas, you really want to leave out in the air. I haven't had pest problems yet (besides bugs), but on the other hand don't want to start having them, either.

I'd provide a ramp from the door to the ground. Half-way down I'd offer a lunch of cheese, a cracker and peanut butter. Then I'd lie in wait, hoping for the thing to take the bait. When it leaves, kick the ramp to the ground and shut the door.

I'd also empty the van, clean it, clean everything in it, and start over.

My luck would be the mouse going out would be trampled to death by the ones coming in!!!

thanks everyone for the responses...much appreciated...
hadn't thought of the tin canisters for storing things, I used to collect them when I was in S&B...think I'll start looking for some again and this time use them...
did clean everything out of van finally and threw out a whole lot of stuff that had evidence of the rodents presence. then used pine scented cleaner on all reachable surfaces...van now smells like a" Carolina pine forest":) but now my eyes are watering cause it may be too strong...
had to laugh at your comment bullfrog, as that would probably be my luck as well...
I am hoping to leave here in another week and head back to TEXAS, but first need to have the van checked out thoroughly to be sure no damage has been done under the hood...I'll get a break from the mouse in my house while on the road, as I will likely go the motel route til I get back to TX, depends on the weather between here and there and also camping availability along the way...
maybe see some of you on the road as I start my travels again...had enough of Maine to last me until next summer and beyond...
blessings to all and be safe!!!

Best way to have a new pet leave is to name it and make plans for the future. lol
Sorry, just had to say it.

Get a sticky trap at the dollar store and bait it.

good morning all! I think the mouse may have abandoned ship...was quiet last night except for the pine needles/leaves falling from the trees and landing on the roof of my van...at least I hope that's what the noises were that I heard...I know the noises were coming from overhead and metallic ..Guess the lack of sleep made me anxious, however I'll keep the lights on for a few more nights just to be sure!!
I think making the situation public caused the mouse much discomfort and it didn't like the publicity...maybe I'll put a few more traps in different places to make sure it didn't move the family in as well.

26 months mouse free.  Wonder if my girls have anything to do with it?
C7B76065-1AB0-48A6-A851-875253FE52AF.jpeg

Attachments

• C7B76065-1AB0-48A6-A851-875253FE52AF.jpeg
    C7B76065-1AB0-48A6-A851-875253FE52AF.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 4
BobBski said:
26 months mouse free.  Wonder if my girls have anything to do with it?

Oh, my!  Don't feed those after midnight!

travelaround: I first did a google search for some natural repellants and one of the sights suggested pine, cinnamon, or peppermint essential oils...the peppermint oil I've used for other things but it's really strong for me...and I figured the traps would be quicker...
I use cinnamon scented spray for my bathroom bucket but I guess that wasn't strong enough, so the liquid pine cleaner was the next option, especially since I needed to clean surfaces anyway...hopefully that is the solution...now to catch up on sleep that I've been missing the last week or so...more rain in the forecast for the next few days so I will sleep in a little later as there is not much else to do when it's wet outside...
rainy days always end up being lazy days for me...

Have been busy doing some canning the last few days...my summer spot allows me to do some container gardening as I stay here for 5-6 months...this year there was a bumper crop of jalapeno and habanero peppers so I turned a lot of it into pickled peppers and hot pepper jelly...
the jelly is SO YUMMY on bagels with cream cheese or crackers...only thing is It has to be used sparingly as it is truly HOT! also made some habanero sauce which is way too hot for me but the ex travel partner likes it a lot...he can eat all he wants of that...also was able to freeze a bunch of wax and Italian green beans for him to eat this winter...winter is quickly closing in and I'm chomping at the bit to get back on the road to warmer climates for the winter...mostly Texas, maybe Mew Mexico and Arizona, although I'm not really set up for AZ as I don't boondock YET...need to work on getting a solar system put together...anyway everyone have a blessed week and be safe hope those of you near Florida are prepared for the hurricane headed that way...