How difficult is MIG welding?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing about welding is that you have to maintain proficiency.  If you don't weld allot, you won't do a very good job.  True welders have a habit of inspecting each others work.  That is why I hire it done.  There are too many factors to consider.  Clean material, access, Metal thickness,rod choice, settings on the machine,and we haven't even laid a bead yet!

I'm sure you can do it, but is it worth it?

Every Road Leads Home said:
^ I always think learning a new skill is worth it.

Absolutely. One should never stop learning. Now if I can only figure out this wood-working thing... :)

Tulsa Time said:
One thing about welding is that you have to maintain proficiency.  If you don't weld allot, you won't do a very good job.  True welders have a habit of inspecting each others work.  That is why I hire it done.  There are too many factors to consider.  Clean material, access, Metal thickness,rod choice, settings on the machine,and we haven't even laid a bead yet!

I'm sure you can do it, but is it worth it?

Its kinda like riding a bicycle. Once you get the hang of it. It kinda stays with you. Yeah there is a learning curve and you'll have to know the difference between say a 7018 and a 6011 rod and what amperage/volts they work best in, and how effective they are at penetrating what material thickness. (Arc welding, which is GREAT for thick stuff, like 3/16 and 1/4)

I think they key to learning welding is practice, and having a welder that's capable of DC.