How did you end up on the road, and why are you still here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.S. no worries. Duct tape fixes everything. Want me to ping you before your next doctor's appointment to remind you about stuff?

I suck at language, but somebody else can show you the current technology.

...or someone else can do the reminding. It's all good.

((((((((((Ken)))))))))

Gas sounds good. There's a thread for that, but me too, my friend, me too.

Linda would want me to slow down so I am. You are still a hot dude, Ken, because that is what you have always been and what you will always be.

They can take your name but they can't touch what's inside. You are anything but a cheap plastic doll to shut Barbie(c) up.

We are a concept, not a place or a person, but we've got your back. You reap what you sow in this life.

Why would I want to boink Linda's husband? That's disgusting!

It's you we want, Ken. Not your money. Not your toys. You.

We just want you.
Thank you!
The knot came back in my throat. The tightness in my stomach and I have to swallow. My eyes have tears again but men don't cry. I have her hair brush and her smell is still there.
The way things are going, slowly, finding excuses to just sit here are an --- excuse---.
Linda would not be happy with that. I can't give it up just yet. Like getting ready to go out into the cold. I don't much like it but I have to put on my winter stuff and just do it or it won't get done.
I know what I want and need. I have a mind. I know that I'll never find the completeness that I've had again--never.
I have decided that even if that complete, relaxed, sureness will never be again, I can find a moment or an hour, maybe even days
Then youre probably hopelessly destined to be adventurous.

Carry on.
Adventurous? Now it's more of a gamble. Once I do the deed and pull up stakes, there will be no going back. I am willing to "loose some, win some".
Everything around me is in a constant state of change, so being able to "roll with the punches" is a skill set that I will have to get better at.
Facts are really hard things to deal with. I'm old! That's a fact. My abilities are limited. My energy is not endless as it once seemed. Those are facts. I don't have hair to comb. I don't "run" out to the mail box, run to the store. more like shuffle is a better way to put it.
So, ya, adventure - yup -- what will L do when I get there? wherever there is. and I am carrying on, just now instead of using a speedometer, I use a piece of chalk and a calendar.

P.S. no worries. Duct tape fixes everything. Want me to ping you before your next doctor's appointment to remind you about stuff?

((((((((((Ken)))))))))
I just looked at my pill bottles, Looks like they want to suck some blood out of me In late September/ early October. I'll have to call. Will probably be somewhere in Texas or New Mexico, maybe Arizona by then. I'm not liking the cold weather like I used to.
I just saw a post on "Cheap RV Living about a place to hole up in southern Arizona for 6 months or so, Thinkin' about it.
Went to WalMart this afternoon. Spent $150 on "groceries". Also spent $100 on gas for the pickup and I drew out another $100 cash which I gave to my neighbor in case he runs across something I might need, He's a price shopper. Divorced guy, married for 45 years when his wife found greener pastures which wilted within a few months. She wanted a re-do but that ship has sailed. He comes here every day, just cause he doesn't like to be alone all the time. Kinda helps me out too for the same reason. It's not the same though.
No one here to ask me where I'm going or Whatcha doin' or just sit next to each other without the needs for words.
I'm still scooching over in bed at night, No leg over mine, no arm across my face trying to smother me. Linda could never get out of bed on her side, she would always crawl over me to use the bathroom at night, then back again over top of me to get to her side of the bed. Oh well I sure miss her

Another day shot;
Well almost.
Got a small shipment from Amazon today, something for my son's boat.
If you want to call it that, I "cooked" something, some eggs in a frying pan and some more burnt toast. Some Orange juice.
Moved some more of my stuff into the smaller trailer. Still puttering around with the fridge and wiring.
Did I say I filled the pickup with gas- 31 gallon tank. Only took $100 so it wasn't totally empty.
I took another look at my pickup, Of course it's a Michigan vehicle, Lots of rust, I'll look strange in the southern states. Neither it nor I will win any beauty contests. certainly no chic magnet. It's got good tires though.
Tomorrow morning I'm going to change oil and filter while I'm resting.
No mail today - I looked. Of course it's Sunday, that may be why. Only two cars went by on my road today. This must be boon docking.
Linda's car is still in the garage along with a couple of motor cycles. I put a trickle charger/maintainer on her car, One never knows.
How cold should a freezer be kept. Zero F?
My mind is dead right now. Maybe later I'll wake up.

Hi Ken, I too travel alone, am 65 and with a dog. I’m presently in AL. I feel your pain. Would be nice to meet up with likeminded people. I’m headed to Quartzsite tomorrow and still have my pass until April.
It's me again.
Ya, I'm still kicking, well shuffling.
Recently discovered (dawned on me) that writing about anything on this forum of any meaning does not go over well, or is not allowed at all.
So inane is the order of the day.
So ------ there are leaves on the trees where I am now. Are there trees where you are?
Oh--- a button fell off my shirt. Off to the store to get a new one. (would have said Wal Mart) That statement may not be allowed, I'll take a chance.
My plan is to stay in the northern states until fall, then heading south.
Fuel is too expensive to go long distance for the time being so it will take me a while. Another 4 months till my next birthday, 84 seems like a big number.
Oh--- I sliced up half an Onion and mixed it will some hamburger before burning it. I'm quite the chef these days.
Coffee is done. See ya

Long journey to get to this place, but after 23 years of marriage (she had enough in 2020), I’m finally able to retire this year (young I suppose I’m only 50) And bought and build out a E150 and plan on see all the places I seen on ytube but never had to time to stop and see from my years behind the wheel of my semi. So with a little luck and proper planning I’m be free to explore until I’m too old or tired for the road, but yeah what’s another million miles. I’ve be on and off making plans for 10 yrs, dreaming of the day I too could be camped by a mountain stream in Colorado watching the clouds go by and writing this post!

Long journey to get to this place, but after 23 years of marriage (she had enough in 2020), I’m finally able to retire this year (young I suppose I’m only 50) And bought and build out a E150 and plan on see all the places I seen on ytube but never had to time to stop and see from my years behind the wheel of my semi. So with a little luck and proper planning I’m be free to explore until I’m too old or tired for the road, but yeah what’s another million miles. I’ve be on and off making plans for 10 yrs, dreaming of the day I too could be camped by a mountain stream in Colorado watching the clouds go by and writing this post!
Ah-ha.
more or less - Me too.
As so many times before I keep thinkin' That's a bad thing.
I've got the pickup backed up to my camper, ready to hookup and go. Got so many questions with no answers from anyone who has done it, because to ask is not allowed.
Certainly no opinion allowed.
I am retired, well forced and then life happened.
Most of the you tube videos that I see are from those who seem to have unlimited bank accounts, camera crews and house keepers and chuffers..
Like you, I've driven semi for over 60 years but never thought about actually having no place to leave from or go to. (the home place).
Also burning my own food never crossed my mind.
Here I thought I could handle anything. Little did I know
I'm finding out.

There are a couple of RV parks, older, in Flagstaff. Don't know if they have spaces open, don't know the price. Temps are cooler than the desert right now, and full hookups can ease the transition into this life. Full hookup sites are available in Quartzite as well.

I've spent several years waiting until I could set up a rig to boondock in the LTVAs in Quartzite, AZ. Finally decided that I'm better off just getting a spot in a RV park there while I continue to ponder the perfect rig to go off grid in.

I've spent the time since I retired living within an hour of my aging Mom. She died in February. I've already committed to the resort park in Phoenix for this next winter, but I'm actively making plans to head to Q for the winters after this year. I can do a RV park there in the rig I have now.

((((((((((Ken)))))))))
Had to STOP !!!!! AM I awake or is this one of those darn dreams again, Is this real? Are those my feet? There's no sox on them, that can't be right, I should be banned for indecent exposer. I hear a noise! OH CRAP, some one is perking coffee, How many batteries does it take to perk coffee?
OK, got my pills out, and the perking has stopped, Instructions on the bottles say "on an empty stomach. I can't tell, I'm going to risk it. I wonder if them pills have calories? I spent a quarter yesterday, Now weigh 133, gained a pound or maybe I'm just full of it. Ha.--- Full of hot air. You have to get religion, and look behind a comet for a space ship. Hitch a ride to the promised land. (That's a name of a town) So Is "Truth or Consequences". I know you don't believe that either but if you look in any encyclopedia, (those are books that contain all knowledge) (World Book).
Now I had better pay attention, that's a fact. Oh-- shoot, forgot again, Facts are not allowed. Coffee is hot, Have to get on my PPE, (Personal Protection Equipment).
Yada Yada. That was my two brain cells bumping together. All my tires have some air in them, that has to be good, maybe not. See how it's going?

There are a couple of RV parks, older, in Flagstaff. Don't know if they have spaces open, don't know the price. Temps are cooler than the desert right now, and full hookups can ease the transition into this life. Full hookup sites are available in Quartzite as well.

I've spent several years waiting until I could set up a rig to boondock in the LTVAs in Quartzite, AZ. Finally decided that I'm better off just getting a spot in a RV park there while I continue to ponder the perfect rig to go off grid in.

I've spent the time since I retired living within an hour of my aging Mom. She died in February. I've already committed to the resort park in Phoenix for this next winter, but I'm actively making plans to head to Q for the winters after this year. I can do a RV park there in the rig I have now.
I'll probably get banned for this post or have it deleted but I'll do my best to say, not say anything. Pills down and first cup of coffee half gone. see there, I did it, didn't indicate anything. I did not make a statement, I "indicated" also was thinking of doing some research and taking this under advisement.
Ok here goes, I have a 32 foot pull behind trailer with bath room, shower, refrigerator and kitchen stove, double bed with fold out couch, In a pinch, room for 4 adults.
30 gallon fresh water tank.
The only limiting factor is the fresh water, Takes a lot of water to make coffee.
Paper plates and bowls can be disposed of. A little spritz of Windex makes short work of spoons, forks and knives. Laundry is not so easy nor cheap, that pesky stuff called soap, doncha know and more water.
Preference is everything, I like air, Not much air in Flagstaff, I like cool but not cold, I like warm but not hot. I like shade, not much shade around Phoenix, that takes trees, I don't like going fast, everyone In Colorado and Arizona is in a hurry. I like down hill, not up hill, seems like there is a 50/50 mix of those out there. Once you get up, you have to go down, might as well just stay down. Walking is ok in small doses, but lets not get carried away with it. My cure for that is know where you going and then take the shortest path, take a nap and then go back the same way you came.
MY wife took it upon herself to die a couple of years ago, We always talked important things over , She just up and did it without a word to me. Just left me standing there.
I think I'm mad at her. no dinner keeping warm in the oven -- nothing.
So, I just keep going from one place to another till I wake up one day dead too.

Find a job no one else wants to do, then volunteer to do it. Work at it till you get it done. You will be surprised how good it makes you feel.
Yeah, I had a workamping job that paid $$$. I got tired of (IMO) taking crap from my boss and quit. Now I'm bored... was going to substitute teach , but decided I really don't have the disposition for it. Have too much of a tendency to say what I think. Always gets me in trouble. But finding a volunteer gig might be just the thing. I've been thinking about that. Thanks for the confirmation.

Pat

To the OP, one thing some people do to take their mind off of their situation is to engage in Social Media.. you can waste hours there.
Oh, wait.... Uh... never mind! :)
b4 I did that, I had to do something else. where the heck is my list? There it is, now I can't read it. Eye doctor said I had catapults. That means I can't find by rear with both hands. That's strange, I wasn't even looking for it.

((((((((((Ken)))))))))
Don't disturb me--I'm doing dishes. Hot? you must be like me--- blind,! Honest, I have wrinkly wrinkles, I've got more hair growing from my ears than on my head. I stopped shaving so I'd have something to comb. Doesn't help, cept I won't get a sun burn on my chin now. If I can figure out how to take a picture of me I'll send a one, I think my phone will do that.
What am I doing up in the middle of the night doing dishes you ask? Making a sandwich that's what, now if I can figure out how to undo this this darn twist tie off the bread and if It's not too green. Does Orange Juice go with cheese?. I fell off the bed again, banged my head. So-- since I was awake, I decided to do the dishes and make a sandwich. besides, my head hurts now. I just felt my head, more duct tape needed. Don't get up on my account, I'm fine.

b4 I did that, I had to do something else. where the heck is my list? There it is, now I can't read it. Eye doctor said I had catapults. That means I can't find by rear with both hands. That's strange, I wasn't even looking for it.
I don't know if I would trust a doctor that says I have catapults. I DO have a bow and arrow, but no siege weapons.

I trusted a doctor once and it didn't go well for me.

I can't leave Cali now, until I figure out who my friends are and stop trusting people who aren't.

Ken, I am seriously young enough to be your kid and crazy enough to flirt with you, I just ain't got no munny.

Just hit 200,500 miles on a Dodge Grand Caravan that was given to me by some kid who had his name literally changed to (colour deleted) Reaper, as opposed to his evil twin, Grim.

They already tried that in Europe and it didn't go so well for them. Or else I am just misunderstanding politics again and about to be banned yet again.

Anyway, I have to figure out how to get to AZ to meet you in person. I kinda like flirting with you. Linda knows I don't steal people's husbands.

I just want to walk with you for awhile because we're on the same 🛣️.

Coffetime is over. This town isn't as scary as the last town, but I need to go before the stores open because there are people here.

I trusted a doctor once and it didn't go well for me.

I can't leave Cali now, until I figure out who my friends are and stop trusting people who aren't.

Ken, I am seriously young enough to be your kid and crazy enough to flirt with you, I just ain't got no munny.

Just hit 200,500 miles on a Dodge Grand Caravan that was given to me by some kid who had his name literally changed to (colour deleted) Reaper, as opposed to his evil twin, Grim.

They already tried that in Europe and it didn't go so well for them. Or else I am just misunderstanding politics again and about to be banned yet again.

Anyway, I have to figure out how to get to AZ to meet you in person. I kinda like flirting with you. Linda knows I don't steal people's husbands.

I just want to walk with you for awhile because we're on the same 🛣️.

Coffetime is over. This town isn't as scary as the last town, but I need to go before the stores open because there are people here.
There--- I just filled my water tank. Now have plenty to make coffee.
You should see all the stuff I've got. 4 packages of cookies, No make that 5, just found a bag of potatoes, now have two and some small pies, More frozen stuff that I was going to burn up, and more onions, cheese, I could feed an army. Found two more lists that I lost.
Bed needs to be made, what the heck, I'm just going to mess it up again, why bother.
In my head I had a list but lost that too.
I have a budget, Didn't use last months up but I'm gaining on it. Put on my shoes, but forgot my sox, Now have to start over. I really mean start over,.
I need a better chair with an attached table so there's a place for my coffee cup when outside.
Someone mentioned "work" Now there's an idea. A bad one!
Got a call from some trucking outfit that needs drivers. I told the guy that I was old and he replied that they did not "discriminate", I told him they should.
Speaking of chairs with a table, If I happen to run into you, I don't mean run into you literally, Just close, I'll need two chairs. And I'd have to burn food for two. That would be the end of us both.
My pickup has very near 300k on the meter so I may have to have a new motor installed unless I can find a tree with a branch, then I'd put one in myself. That will slow me down some. Also I don't speak a foreign language. All that metric stuff will slow me down even more. OH LAY. or is that OH LAH.
OH- also, Been thinkin' again, all these germs flying around. I'm supposed to get a shot I think but the news says that you get germs anyway, so far so good, If I got one, I'm too mean and just killed them all. I think that means I'm sterile. That's a doctor term.
Ya know what I think? It's all that dirt I played in when I was young, Got it on me and ate some and drank from a garden hose, fell off monkey bars, skinned my knees on pavement, got it kissed to make it all better and then did it all over again. That's why I'm Sterile, Bring it on. Iodine stings and it's red.
My brain cells are getting bruised up from bumping together, both of them. I need a nap or another cup of coffee. flirt away, Linda's sleeping, she's good at that, well so am I. Looking at her is fun and other stuff like waking her up. Do you sleep?20170220_092649_001.jpg

Thanks for sharing all of that. I agree that the chance of finding someone to share my van life seems pretty slim. The time when I feel most alone is when I find something unique and/or beautiful (and it happens often!) and I don't have someone to nudge and say "wow! Look at that! and share the wonder. But life does go on, and at least I can enjoy the adventure. And I also agree that many of the women who I have met in my travels seem to think I'm a nut, and I think they are too into their animals to have time for a human.
I found myself feeling less alone when I was alone then with a toxic person! I have kids... I’m never alone!
I’m about to retire... no need to be stuck in one place to long.

No, I'm not really into that. I'm supposed to be over losing my kid so people just think I'm boring and want me to hurry up and die.

I'm not in the mood so I made some instant falafel mix and picked some of the fennel that was growing by the side of the road.

Solar is on the roof, laptop is tethered, but the world is broken. Even the ocean isn't the same.

Please don't go. I do postcards. I live at General Delivery and we could burn coffee someday. I'm a really lousy cook....