how bad is it really?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
I was watching a YouTube video by this couple who were talking about how some places are being closed to camping due to people's bad behavior (shitting in the open, leaving trash around, etc.) and not having enough rangers to patrol due to the pandemic. They were detailing a few things that were rude or even illegal. Apparently it's illegal to cordon off an area to reserve it. They mentioned having kids on ATV's running into them and stuff like that.

I see these pictures on people's blogs where they are out in the wilderness with no one else in sight, but these YouTubers made it seem like when you boondock, you're going to have people within spitting distance of you. They were in a large RV, so I'm wondering if that's the reason. Maybe they can't go too far off the road like a van or car could do.

Do you think that could be it? I mean, if I'm going to have to put up with loud neighbors and people being rude, I might as well stealth park in the city where at least I'm near the amenities.

The truck stop's isn't any better. People just don't have any respect for another or property.

remember a lot of you tubers live on drama. I could name more than a few.

as far as crowds it can be as crowded or uncrowded as you want to make it.

having said all that there are some slobs. every group has it idiots we are no exception.

highdesertranger

Many campers enjoy crowds or group camping so they gather every year or weekends on public lands usually closer to maintained roads. Many are long term and just want cheap housing near city amenities. Lots of us use 4x4 truck campers or tow built out cargo trailers to get beyond where these kinds of people normally go. Out west is pretty wide open but several close in areas are over used and being closed. Flagstaff is one area in the summer that this has happened.

I think I know which YouTube channel that was.

"I think I know which YouTube channel that was."

I have my suspicions too. but that is kinda irrelevant.

highdesertranger

I wish i had understood this before building out a van.

I would have definitely gone with a 4x4 truck or cherokee and built it instead of the van.

The van is great... but .. i like the option of "bush" camping and an overlanding experience. More options always better.

bullfrog said:
Many campers enjoy crowds or group camping so they gather every year or weekends on public lands usually closer to maintained roads. 

Yes, I'm thinking that was the case with these YouTubers. They were probably close to maintained roads, especially with them being in an RV.

If its the Channel I'm thinking of, they have a Class A Pusher, and spend most of their camping at paid parks.

The thing to remember these Channels get paid for their Video uploads, so a little shock value can go a long way.

Some of these YouTube “nomads“ just are looking for views and subscribers to add to the revenue. They try to make the most shocking headline to draw you in. Then they go on with stuff that sounds controversial because that keeps the audience. You’ve even got some of those #Van life people that show their woman with as much skin as possible. Most of that skin is in the shot that that they use to lure you in. They don’t disappoint the ladies because they got the guy with the six pack and his shirt off too. It’s all what they call click bait. There are even single women out there who use it. My opinion is that there’s not much difference in selling your body as a prostitute or on the video. Those people haven’t lived in a van in the forest more than a night or two to film their stuff. When you notice the kind of regular driving and the equipment they have it’s definitely different than CRVL. I only watch those videos where they show the girls in a little bikinis because I’m studying that type of video so I can comment about it it’s not that I enjoy it.:):):)

There are at least 2 channels I no longer follow because of that, if you have problems with the camp you are in pack up and move.

At least one of those channels I still follow no longer offers any recommends on camp sites, because it was bring in to much traffic to them.

For a while I was following every youTube channel dealing with van/RV life.  But over the past year I’ve lost interest in most of them.  I think that I once followed the one that folks are describing, but stopped when he replaced his house batteries with lead acid starter batteries and then proceed to complain that they smelled like rotten eggs.  What a whiner.

When I was in the retirement home I spent hours looking over all the junk on the Internet about RV ing and van dwelling. It Was a boring place so I had to have something to do. Now that I’m sitting with my foot up with this wound on it I’m back at Watching those things. I would like to thank them for many laughs they have given me. They don’t intend to be comedians but they do and say so many stupid things but it can be hilarious.