How are Dodge Vans?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattkcc

Reaction score
I've been looking for a mid 90's low mileage Ford or a early 2000's Chevy without much luck. It seems like everyone who owns a pre-alum. head Ford is hanging on to them. Lots of late 90's Fords but worry about blowing plugs or split plugs. However, their are lots of tempting Dodge factory conversions for sale at good prices. From what I've been able to research main issues are front-end rust and bad computer's. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5185470764.html The van will be for camping not living full time unless the wife gets tired of me. I'm trying to keep the price at or under $4000.

well I am not going to get into the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. but I will say you hit the nail on the head with two problems with Dodge. highdesertranger

I've had very good luck with pre 90's Dodges. None of mine had computers or front end problems. The 318's are GREAT engines, and the 727 transmissions are good too.

Really enjoying my '99 Dodge 3500... no problems with either rust or computer.

I was pretty set on a Chevy Express van at one time. Then this Dodge turned up and surprised me.

My 1989 Dodge looks brand new on the undercarriage. No rust at all because it's a California vehicle.

That same van you linked to would sell for about $1,500-2,000 in CA.

As to the computer issues, mine kept dying when I first got it and would just die at a red light and not start again for 2 minutes or so. Changed the computer and good to go... until it started again. After the 3rd computer I realized that it was a wiring harness issue and changed the engine wiring harness ($25.00 from the junk yard) and no more problems ever. People think it's a computer issue when in fact most are wiring harness issues.

Lot's of $1,000 Dodge vans in Northern CA.

TMG51 said:
Really enjoying my '99 Dodge 3500... no problems with either rust or computer.

I was pretty set on a Chevy Express van at one time. Then this Dodge turned up and surprised me.

Good to hear, our new Roadtrek is same year/model.

I love my Dodge (see link below) and it has served me well.

I'd even consider a $4000 offer

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I've  had very good luck with pre 90's Dodges.  None of mine had computers or front end problems.  The 318's are GREAT engines, and the 727 transmissions are good too.

There is a nice low mileage 1983 Dodge van but my concern is parts. If I break down in the Ozarks can I get  replacement parts. Researching on line many parts aren't available new and would have to track down used parts.  I'll likely end up with one of the Dodges as time is an issue. I want to get the van converted by November when bird season opens. An all wheel drive Astro van would be nice if I could figure out how to squeeze in sleeping arrangements for me and my two Britts.. They are house dogs and not acclimated to sleep outside and they aren't climbing in bed with me after a day in the field.

I doubt you will have any issue finding parts for a mid 80's American vehicle. Mine is '89, and parts are so easy to come by and every shop has them. It shares the same parts as many modern Dodge trucks too. a 1983 Dodge is all using that same equip (give or take).

They are super cheap parts too. I got brake calipers for $20 each (new) which would cost hundreds each on newer vehicles (so many parts on the market and not many buyers, means prices are super low). Unlike VW or other niche van types where parts are expensive AND hard to find.

I paid $27 for a starter for  my '85 Dodge Ramcharger 4X4 truck and earlier had paid $80 for a new starter for my 1987 Mazda pickup truck.  Yep, domestic parts are cheaper.
Parts for my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan are kindof between the other two in average price.
In my area Dodge has been very popular for decades.  No problem finding parts.

Matt I can't believe you can't find parts for 1983 Dodge. did you look on rock auto. they should have everything and if they do so does your local parts store. highdesertranger

Van-Tramp said:

Van-Tramp, If you are selling your van, write up all the details and send me a bunch of pictures and I'll run it as a blog post. The three times I've done it they sold right away.

I'd ask what are you moving into, but I have  pretty good idea already!! Something round and curvy!
Bob

I would cosign with Off Grid 24/7.   Really, an older Dodge Van (after 1978) that is in good condition and fitted with the 318 V8 and the 727 Torqueflite (called a Loadflite when installed in a Truck or Van)  would be difficult to beat.  After 78 you get the "lock up torque converter" feature making high way speed travel much more fuel efficient) These were very successful engine transmission combinations.  But check to make sure the Torqueflite transmission IS a 727 and not a 904 (the lighter duty issue).   I'm not sure if 904's were even installed in Van's but just check to make sure it's a 727.  Big difference in strength & durability.

You may find some Automobile brokers (those who find used vehicles a client wants) who could find you
a 78 and up Dodge high roof like this one.

Dodge-camper-10.jpg

Van-Tramp said:

Nice rig. I like the layout.

Van-Tramp said:

Hate to say it bro, but a good van will outlast almost any relationship with a female...

Don't sell the van.

Yea, I do not want to sell the van nor do I need too, but for the right person and the right amount I would consider it. I've only been away from Big Blue for a few months and the storage cost is minimal. My son turns 18 in May and he is talking about doing some road trips, so he may take over. We will see.

highdesertranger said:
Matt I can't believe you can't find parts for 1983 Dodge.  did you look on rock auto.  they should have everything and if they do so does your local parts store.  highdesertranger

No I looked on a couple sites and it was hit and miss on parts, one thing nice about the older Dodges is the seats are farther forward, the newer Dodges they pushed the dash and seat deeper into the van for front end crash protection.

I've gone through my entire van preparing it for full timing and there have been only 2 parts I could not get at RockAuto.com.

Both of those parts were available NOS on ebay, so I'm batting 1000 on parts.

I love my Dodge High Top and would not trade it for another van.

i would avoid dodge vans from the 90's. they have a problem with frame rust/rot. i think from '92 and earlier, they are fine but the newer body style at around 1994 allowed water to get into the frame causing rot. when i was shopping for a van i saw many 1990's dodge vans with this problem. the ad would say "some frame rust", or "needs some welding and it will be fine". (this is specifically at the a-frame at the right front wheel)
these sellers were just trying to unload them onto someone unsuspecting.
frame rot is a major issue with dodges of this time. it could cause the wheel to break off

My 89 Dodge does not have frame rust issues, but does have roof gutter rust issues, and around windshield too. Mine was a southern vehicle not exposed to road salts, but now is exposed to ocean air salts.

I have had ECM issues. They were caused by poor connectors at the computer, and techs piercing the wire insulation at the connectors and not filling the holes. The wires rotted, attempts to fix the connector stressed solder joints on circuit board causing them to fail.

I learned to solder well, and resoldered pins on circuit board. No issues since. Still I plan on acquiring a back up ECM.

Parts acquisition has not been an issue at all, Anything I have needed, RockAuto has. The ECM specific to my model year and transmission is likely the hardest to obtain part, which is why I desire a backup.