Houston Solution: Survival Attics.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyntonstu

Reaction score
I am so excited!  We had a power outage last night and I could not sleep.  My mind was racing.  I believe that I thought of the best idea in my life.  I Tweeted this to President Trump.

"Houston Solution: Survival attics. Rebuild attics above flood level.  Tornado/cellars and flood/attics.  Survive in attics."

Van Dwelling inspired me.  Rebuild houses as before but make the attic floor level higher than the flood level.  Fit it out as a Van Dweller would do. Place potable water jugs, sleeping bags, 5 gallon buckets, food, etc. as you would have in a van. Have folding stairs to access and an exit  to a small balcony. The house itself will be ruined by the flood but there will be survival in the attic and no great necessity to evacuate. Consider the house as disposable in a once in a lifetime flood. 

If we can live in a car, we can survive in a much larger attic.  I am sure that there are things that I missed, but I believe that the survival attic concept is solid.

Consider the fact many people died, 100,000 houses were damaged or destroyed, and the enormous cost of evacuation.  If the people had been in their attics during Harvey, the situation would be much more relaxed.

A new building Code for flood zones would be in order.

Your input is most welcome.

If you agree with this idea, please spread it far and wide.

Interesting! The idea of building and outfitting attics for flood survival brings to mind similar building for tornadoes, nuclear war, survivalists, and other disaster situations. My first thought was for sewage treatment and clean water control. Other ideas?

If Van Dwellers can live in a tiny space we can replicate all the necessities in an attic.

50 gallons of water, 5 gallon buckets for toilets, pee bottles, food, a stove, sleeping bags, etc.

Whatever you have in your van you can store it or quickly bring your "kit" to the attic as the water rises.

I would have cases of water up there first.

Any other ideas?

How can we spread the word to the government and newspapers?

Let is be a VanDwellers idea for the credit.

Down by the coast they built homes on stilts. Seems like a good idea for any area below sea level.

Speaking of hurricanes, Boyntonstu is on track set a record on new threads :p

Attics are hot boxes! Unless you devised a suitable ventilation system that doesn't use power as well as super insulation there is no way you could comfortably stay up there. Now if what you're suggesting is basically a finished second or third story room then that's possible. Or put the house on pilings or an unfinished first story like coastal dwellers have been doing for years.

It's not a bad idea, but would need ventilation: Windows on the sides and an escape hatch on the roof that could be opened to let hot air (and people) escape.

One of those hanging fire escape ladders would be good to get to a rescue boat: https://sep.yimg.com/ay/fireadesource/15-ft-resqladder-fire-escape-ladder-9.jpg

For toilets, have SEVERAL buckets and lids. Fill it, put the top on.

Giving the idea to govt would be like flushing it down a toilet. Newspapers would only use the idea when it was new. Companies would make it so expensive that it wouldn't be affordable to the masses. Many people wouldn't do it unless someone else paid for it. Some people would do it -- save them first.

Speaking of using your head -- here's a man evacuating his dogs with two crates and an air mattress: https://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_960w/Bo...thru-d4529a5c-8b81-11e7-84c0-02cc069f2c37.jpg

The safe attic is to save lives in an emergency flood situation and not to save the structure.

Most likely in a hurricane flood situation, there will not be any sun and it will be raining.

If there is a built in escape hatch to the roof, it would allow for some cooling, and for people to be seen by rescuers.

The cost of building 100,000 houses up 12 feet or so would be enormous.

Houses on stilts are difficult for some folks to reach with steps.

I recommend saving lives and ignoring property.

Using concrete block construction, the frame would remain after the water drained out.

Everything interior would have to be replaced.

In 2004 in Ft.Pierce, FL, we were at ground zero for Hurricane Francis and for Hurricane Jean; 10 days apart.

We were lucky because we only got 4 inches of water in our house.

Some of my neighbors had so much water that they had to strip the interiors.

Having dozens of people drown is terrible and I believe avoidable.

My Letter to the Editor that I sent:

"Houston Solution: Survival attics. Rebuild attics above flood level. Tornado/cellars and flood/attics. Survive in attics."

Camping in a tent inspired me. Rebuild houses as before but make the attic floor level higher than the flood level. Fit it out as a camper would do. Place potable water jugs, sleeping bags, 5 gallon buckets, food, etc. Have folding stairs to access and an attic exit hatch. The house will be ruined by the water but there will be survival in the attic and no great necessity to evacuate. Consider the house as disposable in a once in a lifetime flood.

Consider: How many died, 100,000 houses destroyed, and the enormous costs of the evacuation and rescue. If the people had been in their attics during Harvey, they would have been much safer.

A new building Code for flood zones would be in order.

--------------------------

After sending the letters and seeing the houses in Houston on TV, it appears that the attics in the epic Harvey flood were not flooded.

All that is needed is a few sheets of plywood for the attic floor and an escape hatch.

Latest posts