Musings on the Van Dwelling Spectrum

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny flank

Reaction score
[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]Although the public (and the law) tends to view all “van-dwellers” in the same way (as “panhandling homeless bums”), there is in fact a wide range of people who live this lifestyle, and a myriad of ways in which we live it. We are not a monolithic group. Instead, we are more like a spectrum, which is distinguished not only by different economic circumstances but also by different motivations and aims. The only thing we all have in common is that we all sleep in our vehicle.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]At one end of the spectrum, there are those whom most people would consider to be “homeless”. They live in a van (actually, most live in their car) simply because it’s the only shelter they have. So, what is it that distinguishes the “homeless” from the “van-dweller”? To my mind, the crucial factor is “choice”. On the various van-dwelling forums, we see stories every day which begin with “I’m losing my apartment in X weeks…”, or “I need a way out of this or that bad situation….” Those are not “choices”: those are people who are forced by circumstances into a state of affairs that they do not want to be in. I see little “choice” in that. They are homeless in their vehicle, involuntarily, and they are doing their best to get out of that situation.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]For some odd reason, though, a small portion of the van-dwelling community has embraced the homeless “lifestyle”, and has even, in an attempt to make a virtue of their necessity, preached a caricature of class-struggle ideology (I refer to it as “Poverty Purity”), which castigates those “rich” people who live in their big fancy vans with solar panels and stoves, and asserts that it is somehow more “noble” to live on as little as possible—such as sleeping in a car and eating raw food. Some , who call themselves ‘freegans”, even go so far as to advocate that people practice “dumpster-diving” and root through the garbage for their food (it’s more “sustainable” and less “wasteful”, ya know). The whole idea falls on its own silliness. There is an enormous difference between “van-dwelling” and “living like a homeless person”, and nobody wants to voluntarily live like a homeless person. The idea behind “van-dwelling” isn’t to live on nothing: it is to live with a maximum of comfort and convenience inside a minimum of space.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]Next to the “homeless” on the van-dwelling spectrum are those who “choose” to “save money” by “not needing to pay rent”. They live in a van simply because it is cheaper than living in a house or apartment.   Although they are usually in a better financial position than the destitute homeless (most of them hold an ordinary 9-5 job somewhere and just “van-dwell” nearby), they are, nevertheless, the victims of economic circumstances over which they have no control. This is the segment of the van-dwelling community that the press likes to focus on (because it illustrates the callous level of human ruin that our once-mighty economy has fallen to, and the death of the “American Dream”).[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]It is, however, debatable how “voluntary” this situation is. While many such van-dwellers try to prettify and justify their “choice” (since nobody wants to be stigmatized as a “homeless person”) by talking about their “freedom” and about “not being tied down by a house or apartment”, the brutal reality is that they simply have no alternative. Can’t afford to not live in a van? Then it’s not a “choice”.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]In my view, that situation, in addition to being a sad human tragedy and an indictment of our entire society’s inability to meet its members’ most basic needs, is also unfortunate because it does not allow people to live up to the full potential of a mobile lifestyle—what’s the use of being mobile if you can’t even be … well… mobile? Although this group of van-dwellers may be inspired by all the “travel and visit exotic and exciting places on the road!” thingie that they see on the Internet, the harsh reality is that this has become mostly an impossible dream for them. If one is tied down to a specific location by one’s job, then one is not “free” or on an “adventure”—one is simply sleeping on the streets in a van, and is chained to one’s job just as surely as if one were chained to an apartment. And for me, being tied to a 9-5 job is the very opposite of “freedom”.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]As I see it, then, the real essence of van-dwelling is “mobility”, the freedom and ability to go wherever one wants, stay there as long as one likes, and then move on to anywhere else that one wishes to go. Living in a van and not traveling in it is, to people like me, functionally no different than having a bicycle without wheels. It becomes merely a shelter, not much different than a tent or a backyard shed: smaller and less comfortable than a house or apartment but, for some people, all they can afford.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]To really unlock the full potential of a mobile lifestyle, then, one must be able to make a living on the road, either from savings, from retirement, or from a job that one can do from anywhere. Gaining that priceless advantage makes everything else in van-dwelling a thousand percent easier and better. The only ones who really choose the van-dwelling life are those who have enough income and resources to give it up on a moment’s notice, but who opt to continue in it anyway—because they like it.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]So, by far the most serious practical hurdle in successful van-traveling is having enough money to live on the road. Yes, it is very very difficult to find such a source of income. But it should be something that every serious van-dweller directs a lot of effort towards. The payoff is tremendous.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]For folks who are retired, of course, the “income” problem is already solved. It used to be standard practice for retired folks to live out their last years traveling. Now, with our Third World economy, however, even most retired people no longer have the means to do that.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]Therefore, “how can I make enough money to live on the road?” is an enormous obstacle for many people to overcome. Most do not ever overcome it: they simply must stay at their fixed job, and then either give up the idea of van-traveling altogether or just travel part-time for vacations or weekends (which is of course certainly fun and worthwhile, but in essence is no different than an apartment dweller). And many newbie van-dwellers just set out with some “savings” of a few thousand bucks and no source of income (they figure they will just “find some odd jobs along the way”)—then when the money runs out they get disillusioned and give it all up.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]This deserves to be repeated and emphasized. It is not easy to find a job that allows one to live on the road. It is very likely that most people who are trying to, will never succeed in doing so. It also means that those who just try to wing it without a definite plan are likewise doomed almost inevitably to catastrophe. Failure to realize this from the start is, I think, a primary reason why so many people who enthusiastically charge headlong into the “#vanlife” drop out of it shortly later, once they find out that it’s not as easy as YouTube and Instagram make it appear to be. It requires serious planning, and there is a high risk of failure. You are not going to make a living on the road by selling hemp bracelets on Etsy or by busking in the park.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]I am extremely fortunate because, as an editor for a small publishing company, I can do all my work online and it doesn’t matter what location I am in, as long as I can get a wifi connection. So I can be completely mobile and still make enough income to live comfortably and travel fulltime. There are some other van-travelers who can also do this—they work as computer consultants or freelance graphics designers or online sales or technical writers or something similar. Others are retired and live on their fixed income. But we are a minority (probably a very small minority) in the van-dwelling community. Most van-dwellers need to be tied to a job at a fixed location in order to make a living. And, sadly, they therefore miss out on some of the best parts of the lifestyle.[/font]

[font='Libre Baskerville', serif]So, if you are one of that very small number of people who actually realize that potential, and who have the ability to comfortably live and travel fulltime on the road—then seize that opportunity and take full advantage of it. There’s nothing else like it in the world.[/font]

Lots of very judgemental statements. Also a whole lot of your opinions stated as facts. You might want to proofread this again and take out the personal bias.

I am one who is here because of choice. I still cringed at the judgemental bias.

And then there are those who choose this lifestyle and have some savings but must still pause to work seasonally to continue you it.

You make some valid points but I also agree with the #2 post

Yes full of bougie editorializing.

Few if any readers will agree with the judgements being cast here.

If I had paid for a book with this content, no matter how good the rest of it, I' be asking for a refund based on this piece alone.

I think there are probably as many different situations as there are people living in their vans/rv's/cars.. Everyone has a different story and different circumstances. For me.. I'm a van guy. I grew up with them in my family and always taking trips in them. I chose to live in my van for my reasons. I was able to build the van that I wanted. But I'm always fascinated by other van dwellers and always enjoy meeting them. I always love a van tour weather someone lives in the most basic van with just a cot and some curtains or weather it almost looks like a professional rv. I just find the people and the lifestyle interesting.

I agree that some people are economically forced to live in their car or van. But I also find that people are just people wherever I go. Weather they live in their van by choice or circumstances.

DuneElliot said:
And then there are those who choose this lifestyle and have some savings but must still pause to work seasonally to continue you it.

That would be me... I have enough saved to not “paycheck to paycheck” live in my rented condo till my health (ability to produce income sufficient to pay for the condo rent) ends, however I don’t want to do that, thus the choice to by this June be in a van. I will likely continue my seasonal work but that’s by choice as opposed to sheer necessity.

It’s true (as Bobs documentary says) that the economic recession/depression that began around 2008 drove many otherwise “normal living” people into vehicles. My own neighbor is always a single bill or two away from homelessness, he worked for 25 years for a company in Michigan that went out of business in 2011. He went from an American Dream suburban house to divorce and a rental. I don’t think he would ever go live in a vehicle but I will...

There are probably as many reasons for van dwelling as there are people doing it.

I'm in agreement here, but I enjoyed the read. It flowed, with good structure, and true, I would make some changes... The 6th paragraph, remove "In my view" and begin there. You're writing it, we know it's your view. 7th paragraph, remove "As I see it" and if you keep the word "then" remove the comma. Perhaps these three sentences could be written as questions, removing the "judgement" and engaging the reader. Just a thought, and we all have 'em. I did enjoy the read though, and found it spot on.

John61CT said:

I find this uproariously funny, given my history (I have an FBI file for a reason). But this is not the place for that discussion.  :)

Very well written and thought out. It's certainly okay if I don't agree 100% with everything you wrote, how boring and tedious would the world (or this forum) be if everyone agreed about everything?

Much of your essay seemed to center on the theme of choice vs necessity and the consequences of each, good or bad.

My experience is somewhere in the middle. After my most recent divorce I had some choices to make. Find a stupid job, rent a stupid place to live, and live the generally mundane life common to most. Or, find a topper for my truck, build it, and get to wandering.

As you point out, the difference between being homeless in a vehicle and being free is in having an income. Being one breakdown away from being truly homeless is not freedom, it's pure angst and fear. Since I have retirement income, I can afford to be 'free'. (Still touch n go at times but that will improve when I turn 62).

So what started out for me as pretty much necessity has evolved into freedom because I love this way of life and wont go back. If I won the lotto, I'd have a nicer rig for sure but going backwards to how I lived my whole life, nope.

Great post Lenny.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I feel as though you've got some foregone conclusions going there that might better be expressed as possible results if one doesn't take this whole thing seriously. Have to admit it raised my hackles. You're right, though, you're damned lucky, as are we all who have some income, no matter how small. And we surely should take full advantage of it.

trailsailor said:
 It's certainly okay if I don't agree 100% with everything you wrote, how boring and tedious would the world (or this forum) be if everyone agreed about everything?
I don't mind people disagreeing with me. If I were afraid of criticism, I'd not have posted it at all.  ;)

I don't think the article covers enough ground. It is way too short regardless on whether it's personal opinion, personal observation, facts or a combination . Once a person jumps on the homeless treadmill it is very difficult to get off regardless of desire. No address, no way to get ready for an interview and possibly no phone given dire enough circumstances can hinder anyone from getting off the treadmill.

The reasons for going minimalist and RV/Van living are as varied as the people who choose to do so.

My only critique is perhaps a much longer article with an anonymous example of each of your categories and why and how that individual chose to continue on or give up.

Mr. Wells covers several categories. He didn't want to live in a truck, it was a necessity. It took him quite awhile to grow to love it and his empathy towards others opened up a new path in his life journey.

More more more and if it is an opinion or value judgement say how to came to your conclusions. who what when where and why was what I was taught.

For me it's a lot simpler- why NOT make your vehicle a living space?

If you're American you most likely need a car to get by. A vehicle entitles you to roughly 5 feet by 15 feet of 'free' space on a city street. Ever since I was a kid, I thought it was such a huge waste of space to just leave our cars outside and then pay for a second larger space in a house or apartment. In this Mad Max dystopia of America with little to no public transport and sprawling suburbia, the trend naturally should be getting a multi-functional vehicle first and a home second. We have too much of the European mindset that you can walk or train everywhere, which doesn't fit our huge landscape and probably never will (NYC being the only exception).

I once heard a perceptive comment while visiting England: "The difference between the US and the UK is that in the US you think 200 years is a long time, and in the UK we think that 200 miles is a long distance."

lenny flank said:
I once heard a perceptive comment while visiting England: "The difference between the US and the UK is that in the US you think 200 years is a long time, and in the UK we think that 200 miles is a long distance."

Having lived in both countries I can say that is absolutely spot on. I have heard it before.

I miss the ability to make use of European-style public transport.