Honda Generators

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausmutti

Reaction score
Besides $100 what is the difference between the Honda EU2000 and EU2000i generators?

thanks GS, I tried finding the 2000 and got nothing.

If you're looking for only 1 generator, then you need the 2000i version, the 2000 is only meant to be run as a 'companion'' generator hooked up with parallel cables that then allow you to plug in to a 30 amp RV style inlet.

Keep in mind that the EU2000i weighs when empty, something like 47 lbs +/-.

I chose to go with 2 - Honda EU1000i units so that I could manage their weight easily. It helped that I already had one that was a decade old so I just added a new unit and the appropriate parallel cable to team them up so that they could run the big battery charger I  needed for my battery bank.

There care two honda 2000i generators. one is a companion and has a 30 amp style outlet. It can be run alone but only produces the same watts as the other 2000i, unless connected with another honda 2000i.

If your not planning to run two generators, go with the non-companion model. It has a duplex type outlet so you can plug in two loads.

highdesertranger said:
do you have a link to the EU2000.  highdesertranger

Well, now I can't find it.  Maybe there is only the 2000i and the one that connects.

well the one for $899 is the regular EU2000i and the one for $999 is the companion(when you want to hook two together). highdesertranger

The more expensive Companion model has an RV receptacle and a 30A breaker. This does not mean that it will put out 30Amps. The RV receptacle is only useful when two generators are connected in parallel.  It's worth buying a Companion ONLY if you plan to run two generators at the same time (for more power). A non-Companion model is basically the same generator except what I mentioned below. It has the same capacity. 
If one generator is all you need then get the cheaper model. A $10 plug adapter will allow you to plug your RV into it.
Honda is considered as the best generator out there. A similar Yamaha is a bit cheaper but it can't handle starting current as well as a Honda generator. For example, I can easily run a 13,000 BTU, roof AC on my trailer with my Honda EU2000i  (non-Companion, cheaper model) generator, with enough capacity left to charge batteries and run small appliances. 
A new Honda generator can be purchased online for $949 (usually $999), with free shipping and no sales tax (except in NJ). I don't want to post a link here but give it to you if you PM me). There may be some better deals around Black Friday but who knows...
Hope this helps.

Has anyone switched one over to LP fuel use? I'd love to run it off the bbq quick connect gas line run off the back of my rig. Would be great not to carry canned gasoline ....

Do not use 15amp to 30amp adapter , this can damage all kinds of stuff , the source 15amp outlet will burn out the socket trying to pull a 30amp load .
As for connecting 2 Honda / or other brands made to do this , you can buy 2 of the cheaper gen-sets , and then use a special combiner [ this is what Honda 1st came out with ] then later came out with one where all the wiring was on the inside of one unit for 30amps , with a 15amp connection going to a 2nd genset .
TWO things are happening with the combining of 2 gen-sets , having an outlet that can handle 30 amps [ supplied by 2 15amp souces ] ---- not over loading 15amp wiring - trying to pull 30 amps , the next thing some of the extra wiring is doing , is bring the 2 generator into the same phase [ match the AC wave forum ] .

I went with a Honda EU1000i on line 599 free shipping, lighter smaller trying to live with less. The Honda's I used to camp with were so easy to take apart, this one not so much and the whole thing is plastic.