Homeless Does not mean Hopeless

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onewaytix

Reaction score
Hello All,

Thank you so much for the opportunity that this forum affords.  I've been watching Bob Wells' videos on YouTube for the past few months now.  I began watching them to help alleviate my fears about the very strong possibility of becoming homeless.  It helped so much to know that, not only is it possible to live in your car, but you can find something positive in the situation by meeting great people.  I'm here now because, at the age of 65, I'm at the end of another temp contract.  Living paycheck to paycheck is tough enough, but the thought of having to go through the demoralizing process of the job hunt at my age is just soul-draining.  The contract will be running out in 6-8 weeks. If they don't pick me up as a perm employee (they never do) I won't make rent.  This thought has kept me up at night, and the stress is taking it's toll.  But, I've found the best counter to fear is to face it.  Bob's videos have helped me do just that.  So now I am making plans for homelessness.  Since I have a very small, two-door, Ford Focus, I've been looking at vans with relatively low mileage as a better living arrangement.  The problem is, I have no savings.  As I said, I live paycheck to paycheck.

Welcome oneway to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

What kind of vehicle do you have now? I take it you already have Social Security? Will you have some unemployment after this contract?

DLTooley said:
What kind of vehicle do you have now?  I take it you already have Social Security?   Will you have some unemployment after this contract?

Hi DL,
I currently have a 2009 Ford Focus 2-Door.  I watched a YouTube Video by someone who lives in theirs, and I don't think I'd manage.  Of course, if I have to I will.  I have Social Security, but it's only $700 a month.  I had to start collecting at the age of 62 unfortunately because I wasn't earning a livable wage.  As for unemployment: I just went through a six month stint of unemployment.  Almost exhausted benefits when I'd found this job - which I love - but it's a contract.  I had hoped I'd get a permanent offer, but it's not looking good.  I don't know that I'll get unemployment this time with eligibility, etc.  Bottom line, I'm am completely drained by this.  Ageism is alive and well, and I don't have the strength to fight it anymore. I did feel that watching Bob's videos alleviated my fear, so this is what I'm going with: countering fear with preparation for homelessness.

I understand your concerns. I am barely making it on less than $800 a month. It is not how I saw my life going at this age but it is what I am faced with. Your car is definitely on the smallish side. Mine is a bit bigger. Good because my dog is big. But ESSENTIAL! ;) The ground does get harder every year but it does the trick with a good tent and comfy sleeping pad. I feared the aloneness, camping by myself, and the fear of the fear but I can honestly say it's much ado about nothin'. At least it has been for me. I would encourage you to get yourself a good tent. One you can set up yourself. One which will be good in all-seasons. I found a wonderful sleeping pad called Nemo Cosmo and I can't recommend it enough- it is inflated by foot pump within. Even if you sleep in your car the majority of the time, you will be good to go with a tent. Here's hoping you find a way. Peace

LathrenJames said:
I understand your concerns. I am barely making it on less than $800 a month. It is not how I saw my life going at this age but it is what I am faced with. Your car is definitely on the smallish side. Mine is a bit bigger. Good because my dog is big. But ESSENTIAL! ;) The ground does get harder every year but it does the trick with a good tent and comfy sleeping pad. I feared the aloneness, camping by myself, and the fear of the fear but I can honestly say it's much ado about nothin'. At least it has been for me. I would encourage you to get yourself a good tent. One you can set up yourself. One which will be good in all-seasons. I found a wonderful sleeping pad called Nemo Cosmo and I can't recommend it enough- it is inflated by foot pump within. Even if you sleep in your car the majority of the time, you will be good to go with a tent. Here's hoping you find a way. Peace
Thanks for the suggestion about the tent, Lathren.  While I have some mobility and health issues that would prevent me from sleeping on the ground, It might be a consideration just to have another "space."  I won't give up hope in finding another job or means of income, but the reality is that I'm 65 years old.  If this body lasts another five years, the likelihood that I'll be employable beyond a greeter at Walmart is minimal.  All the best to you!

Hello, and welcome!!

onewaytix said:
"... the best counter to fear is to face it.  Bob's videos have helped me do just that.  So now I am making plans for [possible] homelessness. ..."

Same here...

I understand. I'm about the same age. It is daunting to even apply for a job, healthy or not. Ageism is real. I suppose it must exist, to some extent, to provide a route for the next generation but, still, it is an awful burden for so many. I would suggest you go to an Outfitter (REI or such) and let them help you decide. Off-grid is their expertise. I have found staff to be both knowledgeable and willing to advise and help.Although 'the ground gets harder every year' is a metaphor- it is so true. Yes, tent as a back-up. You may never use it but will be glad to have it if ever you might have to. At this age, we are on the back-stretch. I hope your's is a positive journey. Peace

Welcome, onewaytix! I was in a similar situation...facing losing my house to foreclosure. But I managed to embrace my situation and turn it slightly in my favor so that I could migrate to the nomad life.

Have you considered, at least for the short term, converting your car to live in while you save money for something a bit roomier?

Your Ford Focus should be a similar size and layout to my Kia Soul. There may be some inspiration for you in my build thread.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=9848

It might also be worth the time and effort to browse the Car forum to scrounge for ideas.

Another possibility that might be worth looking into would be a small, lightweight teardrop trailer that you could pull behind your Focus.

Welcome to the forum.

Stop thinking of yourself as being homeless. From this point forward consider yourself as being houseless.

Everyone is getting into the full time RV or van living lifestyle. Many are doing it because they want too, some because they have too.

Welcome OneWayTix,
I'm new here too and have a similar situation. I'm in my 50's and will be living in my Corolla soon. I have no savings either. Bob's videos are encouraging and helpful, for sure. It seems as time goes on there will be more and more homeless people in this country. I just came across an article the other day about middle class people in California sleeping in their cars. It was published last year. I wish I had thought of living in my car or a van a long time ago. I could have saved myself a lot of headaches. At this age it is near impossible to find a job and don't even want one. It's best to find our own income rather than working for a corporation or other businesses which we have been making rich for a very long time.

LoupGarou said:
Welcome to the forum.

Stop thinking of yourself as being homeless. From this point forward consider yourself as being houseless.

Everyone is getting into the full time RV or van living lifestyle. Many are doing it because they want too, some because they have too.

I like this.

LathrenJames said:
I understand your concerns. I am barely making it on less than $800 a month. It is not how I saw my life going at this age
Thanks so much Lathren.  I completely understand that feeling of being in a place you'd never thought you'd be at this stage in life.  I watched many more videos over the weekend.  Since it's against forum rules to post a GoFundMe page, I've decided I'll just try to live in my car while working and saving up for an old van.  I tried over the weekend to see how I might be able to sleep in my small two door focus, and the only way I could figure out was just to put my seat back.  I am an overweight person, but the homelessness and 700 per month will likely help with that.  In the meantime though, I'll have to sleep in the front seat with the seat tilted back.  I'm unable to sleep on the ground due to physical problems.  But, with as little sleep as I've been getting lately with all the stress and worry, I might actually do much better sleeping in my car.  Peace, love and hope to you as well.

LoupGarou said:
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the kind welcome Loup!  Yes, I'm definitely going to try and keep positive about this impending new journey in my life. 

Peace, love and hope :heart:

LathrenJames said:
At this age, we are on the back-stretch. I hope your's is a positive journey. Peace

Thank you Lathren!  I will work hard to keep the positivity.  At this age, I don't plan to go out without a fight!  Peace to you as well!

sephson said:
Have you considered, at least for the short term, converting your car to live in while you save money for something a bit roomier?

Your Ford Focus should be a similar size and layout to my Kia Soul. There may be some inspiration for you in my build thread.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=9848

It might also be worth the time and effort to browse the Car forum to scrounge for ideas.

Another possibility that might be worth looking into would be a small, lightweight teardrop trailer that you could pull behind your Focus.
Hello Sephson, and  thank you for all of these wonderful suggestions!  I will definitely be checking them out tonight.

longing4nature said:
Welcome OneWayTix,
I'm new here too and have a similar situation.  I'm in my 50's and will be living in my Corolla soon.  I have no savings either. Bob's videos are encouraging and helpful, for sure.  It seems as time goes on there will be more and more homeless people in this country.  I just came across an article the other day about middle class people in California sleeping in their cars.  It was published last year.  I wish I had thought of living in my car or a van a long time ago.  I could have saved myself a lot of headaches.  At this age it is near impossible to find a job and don't even want one.  It's best to find our own income rather than working for a corporation or other businesses which we have been making rich for a very long time.

Nice to "meet you" longing4!
While the fact that so many are being increasingly driven to this lifestyle, it helps a bit to know that you're not alone.  I haven't told my son or daughter for two reasons: 1) I worry that they'll feel ashamed of me  -  and - 2) I do not want them burdened by me.  They have no room and plenty of their own struggles to deal with without having to take me on.  I am concerned that as the population of people living in vans/cars grows, that more and more restrictive laws will be created to dissuade and control us.  I suppose I'll start out staying in Walmart Lots, but come the winter, I'll have to travel to warmer climate.  That causes me some sadness because I am a devout family person and would have a very hard time being so far from my grandson, son, and daughter.  There I go again, worrying far into the future when I need to be concentrating on each day.  Wishing you Peace, hope and love :heart:

onewaytix said:
"... for two reasons: 1) I worry that they'll feel ashamed of me  -  and - 2) I do not want them burdened by me.  ... plenty of their own struggles to deal with without having to take me on.  ... worrying far into the future when I need to be concentrating on each day.  Wishing you Peace, hope and love :heart:

My sentiments exactly!

I think one of my children is already ashamed of me; so, I dare not mention my nomadic intentions; though another gave me an open invitation to stay on (possible, future) property.

I'm doing my best to hone a habit of peaceful acceptance rather than useless worry.

Wishing you the same peace, hope, and love!!!