Holding Ice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivingandLearning

Reaction score
I'm redesigning my ice chest.  I have one I build a couple of years ago that works well (keeps ice 5-7 days), but it is too big for my upcoming van reconfiguration.

The current way I hold Ice is in large pitchers or large plastic containers with lids so the water doesn't spill out into the ice chest.  I was going to build the new ice chest around a couple of rectangular plastic containers to hold the ice on the bottom of the box.  This idea is okay, but by the time I put 2" R-Max all around, and 3/4" plywood, the structure is a little too bulky for the space available.

I'm looking for an ice hack to hold ice on the bottom or side of the chest, but not necessarily in a rigid plastic container.  I was thinking something like a vinyl liner to hold a large bag of cube ice or block ice.  Over this I could put a rack to keep the ice and water off my food.  I just don't know how to manage the waterproof liner.  It would have to be seal-able so I could easily remove and replace it.

Ideas?  Anyone?  Anyone?

Tracy

High quality freezer proof, heavy duty zip lock bags. They come in gallon sizes and also larger than one gallon sizes. Don't put all the ice into one single bag. That way you can spread it out across the bottom of the chest. Also if one bag does develop a leak you won't have a major flood event.

I second the thought of using gallon freezer bags full of ice cubes, they can be formed to fit around things, and will hold the melting water from fouling the food.

My parents used to use the waxed cardboard 1/2 gallon milk (washed out, and refilled with water) containers full of ice, which would last 3-4 days in an old Coleman cooler from the 70s. A Yeti, or other brand would certainly hold ice longer than that.

I think 3/4" plywood is overkill. I built an insulated box to go around my fridge. The base is 1/2" plywood with 1x2's holding it off the floor. The corners and top edge are 2x2's with the 2" foam board between and on the base. I skinned it with 1/4" plywood. It's enough to protect the foam and keep the structure from racking. The lid is built the same way. The box is still structurally sound after five years.

You can do the same thing with Poor Mans Fiberglass (tnttt.com foamies fourm) directly glued to the foam, heck you can put it on cardboard completely cover it and use it as a sink. I would think with square corners it would be even better than plastic as far as saving space. Gallon freezer bags work well and fit in lodge ice machines dispensers if visiting National Parks. If you don't have a drain and a bag leaks a micro fiber towel works well to dry it out.

bullfrog said:
You can do the same thing with Poor Mans Fiberglass (tnttt.com foamies fourm) directly glued to the foam, heck you can put it on cardboard completely cover it and use it as a sink. 

Yes, I was considering this, but was a little foggy.  Do you know the formula for the fake fiberglass?

maki2 said:
High quality freezer proof, heavy duty zip lock bags.

My experience with Ziploc freezer bags is that they leak.  I ordered some 2 gallon bags last night to try.  Is there a brand that you know of that doesn't leak?

ckelly78z said:
I second the thought of using gallon freezer bags full of ice cubes, they can be formed to fit around things, and will hold the melting water from fouling the food.

Do you know a brand that doesn't leak?  My experiences with Ziploc freezer bags have been bad.

I've never had a problem with the Ziploc brand bags. I don't use the slider top bags, only the quart and gallon freezer bags.
Some of the imitation ones on the other hand...

if you are driving off pavement I can tell you from extensive experience any type of plastic bag doesn't work for keeping the ice melt water in or out. in fact aluminum beverage cans have about a 1% failure rate, glass beverage containers are much worse failure rate is way over 10%. using ice and off road don't play well together. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
....using ice and off road don't play well together.   

I'm guessing a few million off-roaders who use Yeti and Orca and Engel ice chests would disagree. Dividers (bulkheads) in the icechest make a huge difference for keeping the contents organized and intact. 

And these roto-molded coolers can easily survive traveling on rough roads and tumbling around in the back of a pickup or jeep without damage. Ask any oil-field roughneck. 

Off-roading, especially in very hot weather, does tend to melt the ice quicker with melt water sloshing around in the cooler, but overall, it works for a lot of people, me included.

"I'm guessing a few million off-roaders who use Yeti and Orca and Engel ice chests would disagree"

weekenders

"And these roto-molded coolers can easily survive traveling on rough roads and tumbling around in the back of a pickup or jeep without damage. Ask any oil-field roughneck"

the coolers handle it fine it's the contents that don't. even el cheapo Coleman coolers hang in there.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
weekenders

lol...sounds dismissive. 

The OP did mention 5-7 days....but no rough off-roading was mentioned, and this was not a thread about switching to other forms of powered refrigeration, it is a thread about ice retention, which could apply to anyone, even full-timers, who need to improve things a bit.

Whatcha got against ice? And whatcha got against week-enders or month-long travelers at the RTR (or any gathering) who want to use an ice chest?

All of the other replies posted here sound like they are trying to help, so there is that.

it wasn't dismissive. just stating facts as I see them. most off roaders are weekenders or short termers.

I never mentioned any type of powered refrigerator. I merely said,

"if you are driving off pavement", then I posted my experiences.

I used ice for 50 years. I have nothing against ice per say, except it is very expensive, very messy, doesn't work well for food. works very well for beverages but only for a few days. if you are in an area were you can harvest snow then it's very cheap, unless you have to drive very far for the snow. I still use ice on occasion, I will probably have one at RTR at least for a few days for beverages. highdesertranger

LivingandLearning said:
Yes, I was considering this, but was a little foggy.  Do you know the formula for the fake fiberglass?
Just sand the foam a little, coat with Titebond II glue, lay cloth or canvass over it while wet, work glue completely through the cloth by brushing, rolling or smearing with a rubber gloved hand, let it completely dry for a few days then put 2 or 3 coats of house paint on it allowing each to completely dry.

Yes Ziplock bags do leak sometimes but it sorta keeps the ice contained. A exterior drain is a good idea as well. A removable rack that sets on dowels or pins just above the ice would keep the food out of the water then the remaining ice can be removed and a micro fiber towel can absorb the remaining water. The less air space in the cooler the better so make the rack adjustable so you can add ice to take up the space or just stuff bags of ice between the items and drain or soak up some water with the micro fiber towel every few days. We actually have used cooler water to wash with so making the drain easy to put a container under is also a good idea. We have a 5 gallon bucket with a spout for ours.

LivingandLearning said:
My experience with Ziploc freezer bags is that they leak.  I ordered some 2 gallon bags last night to try.  Is there a brand that you know of that doesn't leak?
They sweat, more than leak.

The Dire Wolfess

I had to learn how to keep ice after I killed my fridge last summer (don't ask). Here is what I learned:

1. Don't stint on the quality of your cooler. I set up an experiment with 2 coolers, a Yeti and a cheapo one from Costco, same setup as below, and the Yeti kept ice well for 5 days. 2 days tops for the "Brand X" cooler, even when stored in deep shade under a space blanket (this will greatly increase your success keeping ice).

2. Dry ice on the bottom will extend your coolth a long time. Wrap it in newspaper, cover it with loose ice cubes.

3. Next best is block ice. You can make your own in milk cartons, but the ice companies get most of the air out and freeze it to much lower temperatures so that the ice is very dense and stays frozen much longer.

4. Ziploc bags are useless. They sweat.

5. Make a divider between your ice and your food. Use a plastic tray or something similar that is not thick but is waterproof. Your food will stay more dry if you store it in plastic boxes on top of the divider. Place the divider on top of the ice. Meat and cooked food goes into plastic storage boxes. Fruits/veggies go into cloth bags. Dairy etc is fine in original packaging.

6. Layer your cooler like this: dry ice on the bottom, layer of newspaper, ice cubes, plastic divider, food on top.

I used this system for 3 months until I got my new fridge. Then someone immediately stole my Yeti.

The Dire Wolfess

When I first hit the road I used a 3 gallon plastic bucket placed inside the ice chest to contain the water. I poured off the water as the ice melted to use for cooking and cleanup. The bucket held a single large bag of ice or two small ones.

Sourcing ice became too problematic, especially down in Mexico where I’m at now. I’ve since purchased a Dometic DZ-65 and power it off solar or shore power.