Hobo RV- SUV to RV Conversions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter

Reaction score
This is my first post here. I usually post in backpacking, climbing, and survival forums. However, I recently made this video of an inexpensive way to convert SUVs into RVs and someone said I should post it here.

While not exactly a stealth RV, and not meant for long term use, I affectionately call them hobo RV's. It is a very minimalist design but complete with water, private toilet, and heavy duty countertop. Either one of the SUVs in the video can sleep my wife and I, plus our 2 heavy dogs. They also fit our 2 large backpacking packs, and extra food for camping. We use these 'hobo RV's' to access trails, National Parks, waterfalls, beaches, and remote areas.

Thank you for your time. I hope this can save viewers money or inspire ideas.

If the video below won't work just youtube search "hobo rv"

Here is the cut and paste.

Neat! Thanks for posting this! Now go shave ya hippie! lol

You seem like a really good person. Hope you to see you around the forum with a comment from time to time!

A backpacking mindset makes a great platform to vehicle dwelling/camping.

Suburbans have a huge following for good reason. Very versatile. How's the headroom in the back, compared to a vans (50")?

The headroom is 41" in the 'living area', so about 3.5 feet. Before the Tahoe and Yukon, I had a 2 wheel drive Suburban and it was great. It was the same height and width with about 3 extra feet in length.

However, there is also a lot to be said for the four wheel capability and shorter length of the Tahoe and Yukon.

Here's a crazy idea. Put a high top on a Suburban! lol.

Suburbans are better fitted for it than my Expeditions with the fold down seats. We slept in mine on a 4x4 trial and had to put everything outside to have room to sleep. Nothing like waking up to something going thru your stuff at 3 am and wondering if I should turn on the lights to see what was out there. Did I want to know what was out there. Did I want whatever was out there to know there was something inside. After a while the noises stopped and I went back to sleep.

Nice video.

I miss my old Toyota FZJ80 Landcruiser. Sold it when I had to move. Could sleep in the back hobo style. Had factory lockers and was lifted on oversize springs. No stopping that beast.

They're good in a pinch.

Though in my case I can only stretch out diagonally. Good enough!

The SUV setup in this video can easily sleep two six foot people side by side with a few extra inches at the top and bottom. The extra inches keep the sleeping bags lofty at the head and foot but it could sleep larger people.

The shelf in this SUV is not for sleeping on. It is for things like cooking on and storing things on while you sleep. Since I made this video about week ago, I have slept in it on two trips. On one trip I teamed up with someone I barely knew to climb Mt St Helens. The guy was quite a bit bigger than me, and we stayed inside because of the wind chill, but we had plenty room inside to cook and repack our backpacks.

For the other trip (waterfall across state and drive around Mt Rainier), my wife and I had our two big dogs sleep in the front seat. Both trips went very well and encouraged me to move ahead with the cheap RVing. Thank you for your interest.

The Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon in the video are larger than a Chevy Blazer but smaller than a Chevy Suburban.