50 yrs ago I saw cozy RV lights at night on the Padre Island beach...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mary B

Reaction score
...and ever since then I have wanted to be that person in that cozy RV on the Padre Island beach.

I retired in 2012, and 3 years ago I got my little (24 ft) 2005 BT Cruiser and have been using it as my car ever since! I have bashed it into a lot of things since then: trees, mostly. I've also learned a lot about RVs, dry rot, rust, leaks. Now I think I probably should have stuck with the conversion van I had before, but that's another story.

I live with 3 dogs and 2 cats. My dogs are: 2 big golden retrievers and 1 little cairn terrier. My cats are 2 huge Maine Coons. People say that's a lot of pets for even a big sticks and bricks house, so the idea of having them in an RV seems insane. But I still do it. The dogs love it. The cats adapt. These days we mostly go camping for a couple days at a time, boondocking in National Forests. Anyhow, all together they probably take up about as much room as a husband would - but unfortunately they don't take out the trash. :\

I am 72, in relatively good health. I do pretty much all my RV repairs myself because my sticks and bricks house costs me a lot every month and I'm on social security. Repairs seem to cost hundreds-thousands of dollars just to drive in the door. So far I have: replaced the rotten floor on my slide-out, replaced all the seals on the slideout, pulled up the rug and lino to check the floor underneath, put on a new slideout topper - all by myself. I find that if I park very close to my front porch railing, I get excellent access to the roof!

Mechanically I think my RV is in pretty good shape, though I worry about the tires (all 6 of them, gosh!). Mechanical work is something I will pay other people to do. It is mostly work on the house that I do myself.

Anyhow, I think I am getting ready to shed my sticks-and-bricks skin. I have all this stuff in my house that I don't use, all these rooms I never go into, except to see how dusty they are getting and full of junk. The yard is driving me insane with weeds and trees and stuff like that, that's always nagging me to mow them and trim them. I am kind of beginning to see that driving away from it, in my bashed up dubious old RV, might go along with an enormous SIGH of relief. But between now and then there's lots of fixing to do, and lots of stuff to find a new home for.

Anyhow, here I am. I am watching the inspiring Cheap RV Living videos. Hello, everyone!

Hi Mary and welcome. The work you have done yourself is impressive and I love to hear it. Best wishes with everything in your future!

Welcome Mary to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Please post photos of the Maine Coons or just send the cats to me...

Welcome. Where are you now?

you sound great and I hope you do it. The most important tires on your rig are your steer tires by far. I won't go into the date codes and all of that on the tire, but look them over carefully for weather cracks in the treads and on the sidewall. Retired truck driver here so here is some free advice. If your steers are iffy but better than the rears put new tires on the front and have them moved to the rear. Get something like a cut off broom handle or a hammer etc. and thump your tires on the rear daily at least when traveling. A dead thud is an indicator of either a low or flat tire on the back. It's tough to keep your pressures up on the inside dual, hard to get an air hose on those but those are the ones that can blow from low pressure if they are neglected. For best mileage though it's worth the time and trouble.

"The most important tires on your rig are your steer tires by far. I won't go into the date codes and all of that on the tire, but look them over carefully for weather cracks in the treads and on the sidewall. Retired truck driver here so here is some free advice. If your steers are iffy but better than the rears put new tires on the front and have them moved to the rear. Get something like a cut off broom handle or a hammer etc. and thump your tires on the rear daily at least when traveling. A dead thud is an indicator of either a low or flat tire on the back. It's tough to keep your pressures up on the inside dual, hard to get an air hose on those but those are the ones that can blow from low pressure if they are neglected. For best mileage though it's worth the time and trouble."

Thanks so much! I just went out with a hammer and they all sound the same - which is either good or really bad - but I will definitely learn about what the tire pressure should be, check and inspect all of them. I took my rig in last year for one of those readiness checks which included checking tires, but really I like to keep on top of all of this myself. It is the only way I can keep comfortable with an older vehicle and I can't afford a new one, still paying this one off.

Any more tips are welcome any time!

Hi Mary

your BT Cruiser sounds nice....24 ft...wonderful home on wheels, plenty of great space to live good.

I so hear you on the S&B. The maintenance is horrible, we got around 5 acres of mowing around the horse pastures and house and such and I tell ya....I am SO OVER IT! Walking away won't be hard to do for us, knowing also, if for any reason down the road we can always buy some permanent housing if required/wanted. So it truly isn't that hard of a step for us to take.

Glad you are boondocking and enjoying it with your pets. Go for it when you are ready and just roam free and explore the world on your dime :) best of luck!

Welcome, Mary . . . you will be so happy to be done with the sticks and bricks - it is worth the trauma of doing the downsizing! And the money from selling the house might help you pay off your vehicle debt or even get you a better one. Resist debt - it kills all the fun. It is better to have less than to be in debt paying interest.

Time to call an auctioneer, and shed the S&B skin...yard sales/garage sale just don't seem to work for all the effort put into it.