Hitting the road soon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey gang, things are going pretty well. Got just about everything I will need, my parents donated some old camping stuff. Going to do a trial night on the solar-charged batteries with my CPAP as soon as I get the converter in the mail.

I'm a little confused on dispersed camping. This is my first time doing dispersed camping of any kind. One thing I've noticed is that there are a lot more permanent structures and stuff like resorts, ranches and things than I thought there would be in National Forests. I guess my main question is how do I ensure I am legally dispersed camping and not on private property? Most of the guides I've read seem to either ignore dispersed camping entirely or just recommend following forest service roads until you get to a spot you like. Is that really all there is to it?

Any recommendations on good dispered camping spots in New Mexico, Colorado?

Thanks.

I did a couple posts in this topic so go and read these and they should get you a start.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/finding-boondocking-sites-part-1/
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/finding-campsite-part-2-understanding-and-using-the-mvum/

I highly recommend you buy Delorme Atlas and Gazetter for both of those states. Another great tool is a smartphone app called "US Public Lands" It uses the GPS in your smartphone to check it's onboard maps and tells you if it's public or private.

Both Colorado and NM have tons of dispersed camping, head off down nearly any Forest Service road and you can camp anywhere along the way.
Bob

Thanks Bob. What is the best place to buy the maps? I remember back in the day it seemed like most gas stations stocked them, but I can't say I've seen one in a while. Truck stops maybe? Or should I buy them online before I leave?

edit: I see they are at Walmart. Nevermind. Onward!

Thanks Bob, that MVUM map is exactly what I wanted. Gotta brush up on my topographical map skills, I haven't used one since I took geology in college.

I get my maps from Amazon because they carry all the states and they are usually less expensive. If you sign up for the newsletter at the Delorme website, every few months they offer the atlas for all the states 1/2 off. I stock up whenever that happens!

You can get the MVUM fro the local Ranger Station or you can download them as .pdf. Just google "MVUM Sierra National Forest", of course use whatever the name of the National Forest is you are looking for.
Bob

muddy said:
Thanks Bob. What is the best place to buy the maps? I remember back in the day it seemed like most gas stations stocked them, but I can't say I've seen one in a while. Truck stops maybe? Or should I buy them online before I leave?

edit: I see they are at Walmart. Nevermind. Onward!

As far as roadmaps go, you can often get free ones from the state tourist bureaus.  I just got one for Texas by requesting information on the Texas website.

Regards
John

generally out west here it has been my experience that if an area is not posted "no camping" it's ok to camp. this is not 100% but I have never had a problem. oh yeah if it says "no trespassing" stay out, respect private property. many times just by respecting the property owners wishes I have gotten permission to camp and prospect on private property. highdesertranger

Not sure what part of NM you are or will be in, but here are a few places I've made use of:

-- San Jon, a tiny town just as you come into NM from TX on I-40. Has a tiny city park that provides free camping.

-- The Ft. Stanton area in central NM was my home for weeks as I looked at locations and got a feel for central NM for a book I wrote. There is a "horse trailhead" campground where you can get a map showing roads in other BLM land around the area. When I was there last May, it was free to park in the large lot if you were not using electrical. The map of the area shows roads where free dispersed camping is available.

-- Nearby town of Capitan is home to Smokey the Bear. The Smokey Bear restaurant in town is pretty good and friendly. A forest service office is there, too. Library has free wifi you can pick up if you park on the street outside. Has grocery, gas, etc.

-- Not far from the Ft. Stanton camping is a Forest Service free campground named Baca. It is higher elevation if you need cooler weather.

Bob beat me to the 1/2 off sale at DeLorme's .
Good till midnight on the 26th.
Their HQ is just down the road from me in Yarmouth ME.
If anyone is coming through Maine , it's located at exit 17 on I-295 , they have a must see spinning 3 story high topo globe in the lobby named "Eartha", I like to stop in and take a quick "walk around the world"
Skuh kuh kuh kuh
ALL my atlas's were 1/2 off , I'm rebuilding my collection again .
I lost my first set in the fire that burned up my class A. :p

I've used those maps all over the country , helps me drive like a local in states I've never been in before.
They all have topo markings too !

Heck im in Raymond nh,my sister lives in Sanford me,i just might drive up there to check it out,That sounds good.

Set up my tent today. Wish I had a picture for you guys but soon as I had it all set up a thundercloud rolled in making a lot of noise so I packed it all back up. According to the weather forecast it's a 20% chance of rain here, so I guess I must be in the 20%. It's pouring out there. Anyway, just about got everything together, got a schedule set up (Need to be in California early July). Really excited to hit the road.

Well, all ready to rock and roll. Going to be in CA for a wedding, then off to CO for the real fun! If I make good time, should be out in the San Juan Nat'l Forest by the end of next week. Can't wait to get started.

I love your excitement and enthusiasm, so I know you will have a great time. I will feel that same way the night before I get to head out again! Keep us posted!

I plan to backpack into Brush Lake in the Wet Mountains above Westcliff the weekend of the 18th. If your in the area you're more than welcome to join us - great beauty and great fishing.