Hitting the road soon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy

Reaction score
Hey guys. Not much to say for myself, sick of living in suburban Houston and ready to hit the road and see the great Southwest United States. Will be assembling and testing my solar setup this week and gone by next week. I'll be making my living programming and driving my Honda Civic, so there'll be lots of creative four letter word filled posts about road and cell service quality I expect. Looking forward to joining yall.

I'll be making slowly making my way towards California for a wedding in early July, and then who knows.

Muddy,

Congrats and have fun. Look forward to the pics along the way.

Solar panels on a Civic? Do post pics...

If you use more letters, you earn more points  :p

Welcome and have fun~~~

ZoNiE said:
Solar panels on a Civic? Do post pics...

Ah did I mention I'll be camping in a tent...still deciding how to set them up, but they'll be on some kind of standing mount probably.

The tent life is tough. Too tough for many. Be ready to change to something else, sooner than you expected.

You may be right about that. My car is in good shape and hopefully still will be, so getting a more suitable vehicle is not off the table.

I think living in a tent full time is gonna make you feel homeless, and not in the good way...

You may want to consider a minivan at the very least.

Hard walls. You can drive away in an instant.

Heh! You guys may be right. I have a wedding to go to in California, early July with fancy (and free) lodging, so that will be a good point to re-evaluate what I am doing.

Work continues apace on getting the setup together. Fedex called and the Renogy equipment should be here tomorrow. Ordered the tent to be delivered at Wally World since they have a very good price on it. Carrying the batteries will be fun, lucky for me I have been lifting weights consistently for the past 6 years or so.

32kg-Kettlebell.jpg

Space permitting I will be taking one or two of these along with me for my workouts.

muddy said:
Work continues apace on getting the setup together. Fedex called and the Renogy equipment should be here tomorrow. Ordered the tent to be delivered at Wally World since they have a very good price on it. Carrying the batteries will be fun, lucky for me I have been lifting weights consistently for the past 6 years or so.

32kg-Kettlebell.jpg

Space permitting I will be taking one or two of these along with me for my workouts.
No chain for that ball?

Why? Just carry the batteries around. LOL

offroad said:
The tent life is tough. Too tough for many. Be ready to change to something else, sooner than you expected.

this is my buddy, Scooter Tramp Scotty

He's been living on the road, on his motorcycle, living solely in a TENT, FULL TIME...for over 20 YEARS!!

...and he's NOT the only one I personally know, who's living on a motorcycle full time and traveling the world. In fact, I know a bunch of folks doing this.

I can't believe how some of this crew (who should know BETTER than most folks out there), would step on a guys dream to do something that maybe you were uncomfortable doing, or living in a way nobody else would consider doing..
Living in a pop-up tent wouldn't be for me either, but I would NEVER tell someone else to expect to be uncomfortable at it and to plan for different, future living quarters.

You do whatever makes YOU happy, and I'll work on my happy dreams too.

As for Mr. Muddy...

Welcome to the forum! I hope you have a ball out on the road, and all the best to you!

Gimmie a shout-out if you're ever headed up this-a-ways. Lunch is on me!

Hello from the Oregon Coastline!! :D

Hey, Muddy,
Yes, your first trip will be a learning experience, but do not develop doubts and kill your excitement to give YOUR way a try.

My van seems to be mechanically great BUT, guess what, it leaks in a few places when it rains, dust flies in the somewhat battered back doors, it's drafty and clunky and ugly. Yet my bed and my work equipment stay dry and clean, so I don't CARE! I love my adventures in that van.

Bob Wells has written more than once that if you wait for your rig to be perfect you'll never leave the driveway. An old journalism saying regarding deadlines is: "Go with what you've got."

Pay attention mostly to the joy of travel and nature -- and take some notes on what you can improve as time and money allow.

Thanks Patrick and WriterMs, I appreciate it.

Muddy
What you're doing now is what is called "DOING IT!
While you're on the road the details will become easier as you go.
Have fun with your adventure.
Careful though , it can become habit forming! ;)

I love my tent and while I have a high-top 2001 extended diesel window van I would not hesitate to get into my 1 person USMC issue tent. It's the bomb.
Enjoy. Heck I know guys that only sleep under the stars.

wagoneer said:
I love my tent and while I have a high-top 2001 extended diesel window van I would not hesitate to get into my 1 person USMC issue tent. It's the bomb.
Enjoy. Heck I know guys that only sleep under the stars.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson decide to go on a camping trip. After dinner and a bottle of wine, they lay down for the night, and go to sleep.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Watson replied, "I see millions of stars."[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"What does that tell you?"[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Watson pondered for a minute.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets."
"Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo."
"Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three."
"Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant."
"Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow."
"What does it tell you, Holmes?"[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke: "Watson, you idiot. Someone has stolen our tent!"[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Read more at http://www.sunnyskyz.com/funny-joke...-Go-Camping#eC6RWAziYEYYAZzb.99[/font][/SIZE]