Hitch Hotel-expandable wheelless trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would want a lot of engineering review done on the ability of the attachment method to last any more than a few miles. That box would wobble around at any kind of speed. Last few seconds of the advertising video is quite scary showing lots of wobble while in a good surface road at low speed.

first thing to mind is "WOW!".. what a concept. 

The idea is great, but I'm not sure I want something like that plugged into my hitch receiver.

With the wind buffeting it and only a "One Point" hook-up, I would end up with a permanent wrinkle in my seat cover after just ten minutes on the highway.

Now if it had a 3 point connection, like maybe a stabilizer bar on each side attached to the vehicle.. maybe and that's only a maybe, I would test it out with a trip to the local campground ten miles away.

But I do like the concept.

John

I chuckled when I saw the scenes by the ocean. It looks like a day-use-only spot along US 101 through Ventura County. You won't be spending the night THERE, kids.

Cool product, though I'm dubious of large heavy things hanging on hitches. I know lots of people have carriers back there, but it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

In theory, my hitch can safely handle over 750 pounds of tongue-weight. So far as I can tell, that means it should also safely handle over 750 pounds of anything else. Unless I'm missing something somewhere, that is.

Interesting product! But I bet a small trailer is actually cheaper.

Kool idea & pix! I'd wait for trial & error reviews. Fiberglass in general is lighter material but it's still heavy. And how easily does it lift up into place or lower to take off (it could be a an ugly dismount),maybe have to build an elevated rack so you can just back up to it.  Pretty sure sure i couldn't get it on by myself (lifting 240 LBS dry weight)or even 2 people, without some type of rigging (chain fall /hoist or ground rack). Depending on the tow vehicles capacity also could be sketchy at best. Everything I've put in my receiver sways some and sometimes depending on the terrain, drags here and there (bike carriers, cargo racks) Those are metal, fiberglass wouldn't fair very well if it got dragged. But I still like the concept, someone had to do it! Thanks for sharing  :)

Rabbit said:
In theory, my hitch can safely handle over 750 pounds of tongue-weight. So far as I can tell, that means it should also safely handle over 750 pounds of anything else. Unless I'm missing something somewhere, that is.

Interesting product! But I bet a small trailer is actually cheaper.

I agree, homemade or store bought ..It's probably easier, cheaper and safer for you and your tow vehicle.

Rabbit said:

What I see is a teeter-totter rocking up and down, pitching left and right, on that single attachment point -- the hitch. The taller the load the more it wants to rock. What's the twist resistance capacity of a hitch? It could be fine, though.

Interesting concept but in use reality might be a tad different story.

I have a swing away hitch and a tote box on a Class 3 hitch with a hitch tightener - https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-tightener

that stabilizes the platform and box. I sure wouldn't want to be trying that Hitch Hotel without one of them.

Getting it on and off the hitch would definitely be a big problem - it takes 2 of us to put the platform into the hitch receiver and then add the box, sure wouldn't want to be trying to place 240 lbs in to the hitch receiver.

Not all vehicles can even be equipped with a class 3 hitch and some have not got anywhere near the suspension system to support that kind of weight hanging off the back end.

Almost There said:
Interesting concept but in use reality might be a tad different story.

I have a swing away hitch and a tote box on a Class 3 hitch with a hitch tightener - https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-tightener

that stabilizes the platform and box. I sure wouldn't want to be trying that Hitch Hotel without one of them.

Getting it on and off the hitch would definitely be a big problem - it takes 2 of us to put the platform into the hitch receiver and then add the box, sure wouldn't want to be trying to place 240 lbs in to the hitch receiver.

Not all vehicles can even be equipped with a class 3 hitch and some have not got anywhere near the suspension system to support that kind of weight hanging off the back end.

Good lesson... from your experience. Thanks, I was wondering about the stowaway.

Rabbit said:
In theory, my hitch can safely handle over 750 pounds of tongue-weight.
Then you'd be OK, long as the rear wasn't at its limit already.

But their marketing shows lots of vehicles that would wear out quickly hauling it all the time, or even be unsafe in some overloaded circumstances.

Occasional weekends, not loaded heavy, prolly OK.

Full-time, need a heavier vehicle than most trendies want.

Rabbit said:
...my hitch can safely handle over 750 pounds of tongue-weight. ....... it should also safely handle over 750 pounds of anything else. Unless I'm missing something somewhere,.....
Weight is measured in a vertical plane.   Mass is a different animal.   Mass distributed over a lever moment acts in an entirely different manner to downforce applied to the tow point of a hitch.   As said earlier, the last couple of seconds of the advertising video shows the arrangement wobbling back and forth and from side to side as the vehicle travels down a good quality road surface.   The stresses created by such wobble will end up concentrated at stress points in the mounting arrangement.   I fear lots of these things will end up on the road.    The manufacturer needs to load a couple of their products and test them to destruction then use those results to get some serious public liability insurance.

I kind of like the idea. The company is planning a HH Classic which will accommodate A/C, somehow and have a sink. This and a tent would be a comfortable amount of equipment to travel with. We'll see. Nice, anyway, not to have to tow.

Trailer hitches. That is what they are designed to do, pull a trailer.
Not designed to suspend a mass from a single point outside of a vehicle's design parameters.

Tongue weight of a trailer is not the same as a floating weight/mass.
The expectation and the design of a trailer hitch is that the load is a trailer with axle(s) where the total load is stable with at least three points (stable triangle).

The hitch and the trailer's wheels forming a stable triangle with a distributed load.

There are things you could do, but that does not mean you should do.

As for the vehicle's design, there is now a sizable mass that is outside of the vehicle's design. In a situation of instability, such as limited traction, rain, snow, gravel, that mass will increase any instability. Lowered traction in the front, loss of steering control, loss of front braking efficiency. Rear suspension overloaded.

Zero sum.

Think of hauling a motorcycle, say a Honda Rebel, forward of the front bumper.

Then a few years later having to have the front end rebuilt in Cottonwood, AZ.

I noticed in the rebuild post, there was no mention of the motorcycle carrier and its possible contribution to FE wear.

I thought the idea was novel but for the price and very possible instability and weight on the very rear...ah. It is basically hauling a heavy bed around and for that my money probably plus a little would go to an earlier model ext. cab pickup and a topper.
A slideout on the bed floor could always add more length if wanted. But yeah, some trendies may not want anything to do with something redneck like a pickup. :)

wayne49 said:
In a situation of instability, such as limited traction, rain, snow, gravel, that mass will increase any instability. Lowered traction in the front, loss of steering control, loss of front braking efficiency...

...Increased chance of swapping ends...

Dennis said:
I thought the idea was novel but for the price and very possible instability and weight on the very rear...ah.  It is basically hauling a heavy bed around and for that my money probably plus a little would go to an earlier model ext. cab pickup and a topper.  
A slideout on the bed floor could always add more length if wanted.    But yeah, some trendies may not want anything to do with something redneck like a pickup.  :)

:D Yup!
It's obvious..I've got heavy redneck tendencies, with a chance of Mud'n. It's noth'n to be ashamed of & don't try to save me...I enjoy it!  LOL :D