hightop made from lumber?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frost506

Reaction score
I was curious if this has ever been done? Or if its a very good idea to do it at all. I would really like to try. The biggest problem I see is the wood rotting after long enough time. I'm sure sealing it up well wouldn't be to big of a problem. I was also thinking about just making the frame out of wood and then cover the frame with thin textured fiberglass sheets you see in bathrooms or in commercial kitchens. Doing it that way I could glue it to the wood frame and make the sheet connect with the roof of the van and would make for a better seal. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in this? Let me know what you think. thanks

It would be like making an upside down boat. Maybe research boat designs for inspiration. My biggest concern would be the weight. Home depot has 4x8 sheets of thin plastic (I think for shower walls) that might work, but Its pretty expensive.

There are a few websites that have info on this and some wordpress blogs as well, showing wood high tops.