High wind areas what helps?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary68 said:
when it gets that bad just pull over somewhere and wait it out

During some seasons in the desert, you could be waiting weeks.

Yogidog said:
Are u going to be able to go to rtr? 

I think us middle age and older women may grow in leaps and bounds. I ended up parking next to woman who I was meeting for first time that I met on forum by accident! We are for sure cut from the same clothe! Another woman is coming out tomorrow, talked.to diane, dragonfly, more than I ever could.have hoped for! Any chance u could meet up? I have been working on tjaybird also ? thanks for support!

I had hoped to figure a way to make it to the RTR in January but with another trip I've got scheduled the mileage from home to RTR to FL would do me in physically and financially. Now, if the chips start flying and falling before then in unplanned ways then anything is possible, well, except having a van by then. When I was trying to figure a way to do it I even checked into renting a van like another woman did at the last RTR if I remember right.

I think women of a certain age are finally in a position where they can finally pursue dreams that are their own if they find themselves on their own for one reason or another. I've got burnout similar to yours---caretaker burnout. Oops, maybe we need a thread about all this stuff in the girl's room. LOL

Glad you're going to be where you can get that steering checked out so the next winds, if they aren't too high for anyone, won't make your trip so challenging. ;)

Hehe I keep saying older woman start doing whatever they want after years of not and caring for others. I thought about it being off topic and thought well I started the thread:)

Gary68 said:
yea,loose suspension will make things hairy,when you get around others at a camp have someone look under while you move the steering wheel and find out where the play is,a lot of times it's just tie rod ends and most of the time they dont cost much and are easy to replace

https://www.automd.com/diagnose/inspection?problem_id=100

U were right on I put in symptoms. I will start with tire pressure first free! And I can do it

Ya know........
Even a vehicle with no mechanical problems will move in the wind with a good gust.

rvpopeye said:
Ya know........
Even a vehicle with no mechanical problems will move in the wind with a good gust.

And constant winds are much less a problem than sudden gusts.

*nods head agreeing with rvpopeye and MrNoodly about the winds*

There are certain stretches in the road between home and town that always have crosswinds blowing. The sudden gusts that happen in other areas are more startling. I think knowing ahead of time an area is windy and then just adjusting unless dangerously high, is what we need to do.

I carry a quality air pressure gauge in my car so I can keep an eye on the tire pressure. Started doing it a vehicle ago when one tire developed a slow leak. It's amazing what proper inflation can do for the handling and the mpgs.

anewbiewannabe said:
I carry a quality air pressure gauge

I've spent a lot on tire gauges. Dial types, slide types, digital types... There was a time I had three at once, and not only did they disagree with each other, they disagreed with themselves.  :huh:

You all are so smart, three tires were at 25 one at 35 yes free solution. And I forgot I had a van that did the same thing with one bad tire yes!

MrNoodly said:
I've spent a lot on tire gauges. Dial types, slide types, digital types... There was a time I had three at once, and not only did they disagree with each other, they disagreed with themselves.  :huh:

I remember the slide ones!

Because of the slow leak my uncle gave me a nice heavy brass dial one that's always been as accurate as is possible----agreeing with the gauges at the shop and with my air compressor, well allowing for adjustment for compressor being off a click. But if one checks the tires after they've been topped off then checks them at same temp and timing (before driving/cold tire) on a routine basis then the gauge will be reasonably accurate to those tires and that vehicle enough to show if there's a tire running low compared to the others. Better to catch a low before it shows.

I'm guessing they are similar to levels. I was taught once you start installing cabinets you make sure to use the same level on the same side every time. Was even taught to mark one side of the level so it was easy to tell which side was which. I forgot once---never again.

you can still get accurate pressure gauges, but you have to pay for them. pit crews and off roaders need good gauges. highdesertranger

anewbiewannabe said:
...Where were you able to find the information?...
The _wrong way loop_ adventure was purely an oversight on my part. Anybody that stops and ponders the area would have known the prevailing winds go up the gorge. My wife had focused on the John Day Fossil Beds and Painted Hills so I wanted to get there early in the adventure. Getting home was an afterthought ; )

Thom

Oh, as a PS reading other comments. Yes a van can be moved violently sideways even when it is in top mechanical shape. One day my wife was driving to work and when going over a narrow two lane bridge (it is one way traffic when semi trucks are on bridge...so really narrow) the winds were reported as gusting to 70mph at the NOAA weather station a mile from the bridge/two miles from our full time rig, the wind pushed the van over about ~1 foot sideways within less than a van-length. She texted me once she got to work and told me she nearly lost control of her bladder, scared her big time.

When that happens I just park asap........

accrete said:
The _wrong way loop_ adventure was purely an oversight on my part. Anybody that stops and ponders the area would have known the prevailing winds go up the gorge.

Shoot. I'm lucky to have my ponder in working order sometimes. But, I don't know that even if it was working I'd figure out the direction of the prevailing winds in an area I was unfamiliar with. So, is there some rule or logic or something to help figure it out maybe?

Your story about your wife and the wind reminded me. Motorcycle safety is that when riding as a group, ride staggered and not side by side---works well for any vehicle in a windy situation---adjust speed so there's nobody on the side whenever possible.

Weather Underground at https://www.wunderground.com/ gives you the wind speed and direction right on the top of the page. Just type in the name of the place your are or are going. Just to the right of the current temperature is a circle. The black arrow shows the direction the wind is coming from, and the number inside the circle shows its speed; below the circle it also gives the speed of the wind gusts, if any.

Also, if windy, reduce your speed to maintain control.

Thanks so much i will read later, checking stuff in car now. Tire pressure was fine, I was checking when dark, wishful thinking other than that good out here

Ok with this possible issue with truck, it could just be me not used to an old truck in mountains had suburu outback last time I did this.

Iam just going to stay put for few days and then fellow traveler and I will head to flatter ground.

I can't figure out if pms are going through. So feel free toput whatever on here  wheel is turning 5 and a half inches.
Thanks all can also put it in captains log so we don't off topic this more than have

to much play in the steering wheel. sounds like something is worn out. need to check it out. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
to much play in the steering wheel.  sounds like something is worn out.  need to check it out.  highdesertranger

Yep, we are on same page, that was my new copilot's diagnosis too, she said it wasn't expensive.
Thanks good to have two opioins. Ready to pay about anything to not have this driving stress! Hard to find routes with no mountains and no fun. Thanks