High top leaking/HELP!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamu

Reaction score
Oh everyone, my van is a 93and I'm sure the seal on the high top is corroded. I tried sealing with marine sealant but it continues to leak in the rear. Does the gutter have a purpose? Any tips?

The gutter is secondary to the purpose of bonding roof sheet metal to sidewall roof metal, and is practically designed trap water and to rust.

There are differences between dodge chevy and ford so a '93' does not tell enough.

Removing fiberglass roof and inspecting drip rails and other structure in the area is a can of worms as any rust you can see is but the tip of the iceberg.

If you buy 70 tubes of silicone and spread it on real thick with your hands...........just kidding ! Don't do that !

Is the inside finished or can you see where the water might be getting in ?

Hi all, I was starting to buy tunes of sealant and thought I had it beat till yesterday. It's a chevy g20. It's leaking in the rear only. I don't see rust on outside but I gutted the inside and followed the rust from midway only on one side. I thought I sealed it all up but now it's leaking on both sides in the rear.

What type of sealant are you using/have used? Despite common beliefs, silicone is often not a good sealant and in fact can screw up subsequent attempts with better products if not removed.

Just yesterday I spent the afternoon on a (hot!) roof working on fixing an ice maker install that used silicone around all the roof penetrations and filled their drip-pan snorkel with spray foam. I couldn't get the silicone removed without an uninstall, so I used 3M 5200 and a 1" plastic spackle knife to encase everything and hopefully provide a durable seal.

Pictures are often invaluable, especially when discussing a specific problem. Posting pics on forum takes a little figuring out, so if you're not sure how to do so, just ask :)

Nothing will stick to silicone , not even more silicone..............

Wait until it gets really dark outside , then set up some really bright lights shining onto your roof in the suspected area , go inside the van and keep the interior lights off , where there is light shining through is the location that the leak is coming from.

Thanks for all the tips, I'm embarrassed to post pics because of the sloppy work I did! I don't care about the outside right now though. The inside of the van is my priority. The weather is good the next few days, so I'm going out there again! I'm in pa

i have the same problem with my 1993 Chevy G30. the metal flap inside that the high top is screwed to is leaking underneath. i looked outside to see holes, nope. cant see anything. i sealed the whole well with sealant, all around the van. it seemed good when i sprayed water on it. now its raining plenty, it leaks. and yes rust is becoming an issue in those areas.

the only thing I can think of doing is grind down certain spots on the water well. So at least the water will not pool in spots. Or/and use those seal tape/ roofing seal... IDK. I am just with you on stopping the leak. Please let me know what you did, since this thread has been here for sometime.
i really would like to attend the 2020RTR, but the van is still gutted and mechanical maintenance is still being done. uuug. ??????♥️?

I don't know if these would work in your application, but RV owners swear by Eternabond tape and/or Dicor sealant.  My RV roof had both of these on it (from the factory).  You may want to research these and see if they may work for your van.

Just the thought of leaks gives me the shivers.

Good luck!

sadly often times if the leak is at the seam from the high top to the van roof/body it can be very hard to find where it is getting in. it could be dripping from one spot but wicking along the seam from another spot quite a ways away. not good surefire way to patch it. and if you get lucky and get a latch to work, the rest of the seal is just as old and likely to spring another leak.

if doing a full build starting with a stripped out van. it can be a lot of work but removing the top. removing the old sealant and cleaning up any rust and then using a good sealant reinstall the top. doing a good job of that is about the only surefire way of keeping it leak free over the long haul

Stargazer said:
I don't know if these would work in your application, but RV owners swear by Eternabond tape and/or Dicor sealant.  My RV roof had both of these on it (from the factory).  You may want to research these and see if they may work for your van.

Just the thought of leaks gives me the shivers.

Good luck!

I sealed the whole lower part of thethigh top meeting to van with Dicor.  I missed up somewhere.  It leaks near the window, it's not the window. I am guessing it's that tape sealing that will be best option, or just redo the whole high top. ZThis sucks.