High Top Issue

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoRockiesFan

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well, I was out taking measurements for my new bed/floor install and noticed that there is a gap between the fiberglass lip and the roof of the van. I had seen this before but wasn't too concerned. However, I am concerned now as the gap seems to be growing/getting wider. I also counted 17 screws/bolts along the sides and back that were not connected to the roof of the van at all! I do not see any gaps to the outside so some sort of bond is holding but [size=x-large]I am worried about the top detaching or eventually getting leaks. How can this be fixed? Any/all suggestions are welcome![/size]
[size=x-large](I have sent an email to TCI - they installed the top)[/size]

[size=x-large]Here's a link to some photos:[/size]

[size=x-large]https://photos.app.goo.gl/1J4XiSgTl5asgh9c2[/SIZE]

why do those cut and paste links hardly ever work for me? I got a bunch of junk but no pics of you van. highdesertranger

It looks ok after looking at the pics, the roof skin looks to be attached to the top ( the normal way), the gap appears to be the gap between the frame and the sheet metal roof skin, the top is screwed to the skin not the frame, from what i see your ok.

Chuck1 said:
It looks ok after looking at the pics, the roof skin looks to be attached to the top ( the normal way), the gap appears to be the gap between the frame and the sheet metal roof skin, the top is screwed to the skin not the frame, from what i see your ok.

The pictures aren't real clear. But, the screw is sticking though the flange and is not attached to anything.

In the bottom right pic the screw goes thru the roof sheet metal, which is the normal way to do it, the tip wont go into the frame

yes in the bottom right pic you can see it going through the roof sheet metal. this is the normal way to attach the high top. however I much prefer to use bolts instead of screws. highdesertranger

I ran out and took a look. You guys are absolutely right. The bolts & screws do go through the thin red skin of the van. 
Crisis averted!
So sorry for the brushfire! 
I just love this forum!  :heart:

I might suggest two different leak tests...

Water... Run high pressure water flow around the outside rim where the top meets the van.
Have someone inside examine for leakage as the other person goes around the full perimeter of the van to roof intersections.

Light... During the darkest hours you can get, Have someone pass a strong light beam around the perimeter of the top to roof. Have another look for light between the top and the roof at the seam...

If you see water, or light, resell as needed...
I ran the light test on our van, and found MANY LEAKS IN ALL OF MY DOOR FRAMES!!!
Not to mention, my left arm and shoulder gets a dribble when I use my wipers.
Turns out the upper body door seal is flattened in several places and so it leaks...

Yikes, right! And to me I think your good to go!

Such Fun, right?

All excellent ideas! Thanks!

Ah, the joys of van conversion. I know just enough to be really dangerous ...  :D