High Roof, Collapsible Hardcover Utility Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roleigh

Reaction score
Hi, I am widely known in the backpacking social media, being lead moderator of the John Muir Trail (JMT) Yahoo Group and FAQ publisher of the JMT Facebook group and a host of other groups (Nevada 13ers, Tahoe to Yosemite PCT Section Hikers, Theodore Solomons Trail Hikers).  I am the Treasurer and a Hiking Group Leader Trainer for the Reno NV Sierra Club.  I am widely published and reach over 20,000 readers.  The most common hiking vehicle is a Subaru in the states I've lived.  I'd like an affordable, ultralight trailer that is basically nothing more than a http://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2015-jay-series-sport-hardwall/12b/ or http://www.aliner.com/campers/scout/ -- but with only the following features: insulation, heater, electric hookup, storage, and a bed that converts to a sofa, and a portable/collapsible table.  As an option, I'd like a totally removeable porta-potty and shower stall (using shower curtain), that can be either not taken on a trip, not bought, or taken but collapsed when not being used.  I do not want a sink, nor stove, nor refrigerator.  Those can be addressed with insulated cooler with water/food inside, and a backpacking stove like a Jetboil.  The audience are backpackers who use minimal equipment.  It's to keep warm when snowshoe hiking, etc.  It should be of minimal weight, preferably all aluminum if possible.  It should be very affordable.  And definitely toweable by a Subaru Forester (which mine (a 2003 model) has a 2400 pound load limit but the new Subaru Forester has a 1500 pound load limit).  I do not like pop-ups using canvas as the heater does not keep them warm, unless the pop-up used insulated "blankets" which I've read about.  I like the concept of the Scout or J-Series Hardwall better as it is hard walls but when traveling, compacted down.  I do want the off-road tire/wheel options and safety features offered by either above vendor.  I only want less of what is available in the interior.  Do you have any recommendation or do you know of a trailer maker who could make such a model for the backpacker market who want a toweable camper?  Thank you.  

PS -- if you know of any ultralight, high roof, collapsible (when driving) hard covered utility Van, I believe I could convert it to function as either of the two models I pointed to above.  There are so many utility trailer manufacturers, I don't know where to start.  Hoping someone in this forum can help with my research.  I bet the final item would become quite popular with budget-conscious backpackers who want something for their short ventures/road trips, especially when the weather is cold.

Gee, I did not know that Bob is taking orders for rigs. I guess now is the time to get your order in.

Hi Roleigh, that's my trailer and I still live in it. I can only estimate its weight. The trailer empty is 1300 pounds, and if memory serves I added 3 sheets of 3/4 plywood and 1 sheet of 1/2 inch. I think there's maybe 5 2x4s in it. Lots of styrofoam insulation but it weighs nothing.

I added two windows and 2 vents and I don't know how much they weighed.

I'd guess all my additions weighed 300 pounds? But you could cut that in half and go with a much simpler lay out. You could just build a bed out of 1 sheet of 3/4 plywood and a couple 2x4s and everything else could be plastic storage units or shelving. It would be cheap and very light.
Bob

I had a conversation with Masterplumber who has shown a desire as well as the skills to build units out of commercial stock.  I will PM him this thread.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Roleigh! It looks like you are starting to get some answers to your queries. Please keep us updated as you progress with your vision.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

PS -- we love pics

Trailer towing with a unibody car will kill off the car pretty quick.

You already own camping equipment and your trips are short so just go rent a cutaway single wheel van with a 10-foot body and stand up height and load about 6 people into it to share cost of the rental and fuel.

Good morning Roleigh, and welcome. It sounds like you lead an adventurous life. I'd love to do the John Muir Trail one day. As for your trailer quest, I'll try and point out some things to think through that will hopefully be helpful. First, collapsible and affordable are not really compatible due to the complexity of the build, unless you buy a used commercial build which in my opinion aren't built very well and probably won't hold up long term to being drug down the kinds of roads that usually lead to the best trail heads. There also not very light unless you go with tent sides. A friend borrowed an Aliner for a trip and when he hooked it to his Honda Pilot he could not tow it safely. I believe a Pilot is slightly bigger and more powerful than even an Outback or Legacy. The one exception in the realm of collapsible trailers I can think of would be the Cricket.http://crickettrailer.com/ They are tent sided at the very top, but as you say you can use moving blankets to cover that part. I looked at one on display once and while they seem crowded to me, if the price is in your budget they may be a good option.

Second, 1500 lbs is going to be tough to stay under, but not impossible. You probably need to stay in the 5x8 size, which will be better behind a Subaru anyway. If you can afford it a Featherlite brand is even better as they're all aluminum. But in my experience they're at least twice as much money and hard to find used. You can leave the insulation exposed, as Bob did in his trailer, or cover it with a light weight paneling. In most trailers the paneling adds rigidity, and some manufactures require it as part of they're build. Keeping it simple will definitely be key, and not loading all your gear in it all the time, just in case you might need it.

For insulation fill the wall cavities and ceiling with Polyiso type foam. If you buy new don't opt to have the manufacture insulate it - I've never seen them use anything but a layer of Reflectex over the studs. It helps with heat somewhat, but doesn't do much in the cold. Don't worry too much about the floor - foam tiles like used for cushioning in a workshop, or a large throw rug is all you need there as most heat loss is upward.

While I am a contractor, and would love to build rigs for people, your project is well within the capabilities of anyone moderately handy. Once you get a trailer, start a build thread in the Conversion section, and the members here are great at helping if you run into an issue you can't seem to solve. No flaming allowed here - just good people trying to help each other achieve they're dreams. You might also check here for inspiration http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=a32b5a66cb4d9ebe9c526b71db108bc6 Most are more elaborate than what your needs are, but there are some simpler ones interspersed.

My own trailer here https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Masterplumber-s-cargo-trailer-conversion is also more elaborate, but I built it to be more than just a warming hut. I can live in it for months at a time working on the road if need be. I can travel comfortable with 2 people, and I can haul my motorcycle at the same time. Loaded up with gear, food, water, motorcycle, etc... it weighs right about 3200 lbs - not even noticeable behind my 2500 series Dodge diesel work truck, but definitely too heavy for a Subaru. I hope this info helps get you started - keep asking questions and we'll all do our best to help. Good luck!