Hey look, a chicken!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putts

Reaction score
I've begun to think one sign of an enlighten soul in the post modern world is chickens in the back yard.

I've even noodled around with the idea of a deployable chicken coop under the skirt of my step van. 

Anyone around here travel with chickens?

I would think "poop disposal" would be a problem, since they "go" anywhere and any time, and can't be "walked" like dogs.

We have been talking about a possible pet chicken recently. Haven't read up on it yet, but I imagine if they got used to having fed around the van that it would keep it close. Then a bigger bird cage for inside. Hopefully someone has some first hand experience with this.

Thnx gsfish, looks like a pet chicken is not in the cards.

lenny flank said:
I would think "poop disposal" would be a problem, since they "go" anywhere and any time, and can't be "walked" like dogs.

Will try to remember where; ... but i remember a few months ago reading/seeing somewhere selling chicken harnesses so they could potentially be "walked" ...

They really are stupid creatures, more so even than sheep.

Bit of a handicap in a companion I would think.

If I were to consider raising livestock on the road I'd definitely be looking at coturnix quail !
Ya might want to Google/YouTube 'em...............

they are rather noisy when they are and aren't happy.... and they need to eat... but dumb? eh not nearly as stupid at poultes

I transport chickens across state lines all the time. oops y'all are talking about live chickens. highdesertranger

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
Will try to remember where; ... but i remember a few months ago reading/seeing somewhere selling chicken harnesses so they could potentially be "walked" ...

Ohhh, now THAT is something I'd love to see....  :)

But then, back when I was doing reptile shows for a living, I used to take my five-foot Monitor Lizard for walks with a dog harness. The neighborhood kids LOVED him. (To be fair, he didn't do all that much "walking"--more like "let's sit here for a little while, then move over there".  ;)

My idea, in a nut shell (which is my skull in this case), is to build a coop for 2-3 chickens that sits up under the skirt of my step van. Think like how the gas tank is mounted. When stopped, the coop can be released and drop down---on drawer rails or something---out of the closed box above to rest about a foot off the ground. Then a little covered ramp to the ground.

Then, you have a 3' high and 12 foot long roll of chicken wire that you can unspool and tie together at the ends with velcro or something to make a little pen about 3' high and 4' in diameter with an closable opening in it for the end of the ramp to stick in. The chicken come out of the coop and into the pen.

They could poop in there with containment, and you could just throw some feed and scraps in there. You could also drag the whole pen, chickens and all, over to an ant hill and let them go at it. Or just drag it hither and yon a couple times a day and let them feed on whatever is on the ground.

Queen said:
I remembered seeing a tiny home build where the guy built and attached chicken coop, looked around and found this: https://www.littlethings.com/man-builds-home-with-chicken-coop/  

Not very stealthy, but I like it!

gsfish said:
There are rules regarding transporting livestock. Just a short thread here...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-about-transporting-chickens-across-state-lines.438216/

Not so worried in the states---unless traveling into California. Mostly I was thinking about it for Central and South America. I reckon you could buy a couple of laying chickens for $20 down there when ever you entered a country; have 1-2 fresh eggs a day; and then slaughter them for a nice chicken stew or grill them up; then hose down the coop before leaving the country.

John61CT said:
They really are stupid creatures, more so even than sheep.

Bit of a handicap in a companion I would think.

1) You may be overestimating the richness and needs of my personality, and 2) they'd be food, not pets.

I seriously doubt I'll do it, but I find it a tantalizing idea.

Pretty funny talking about "stealth" in conjunction with the idea 8-D

John61CT said:
Pretty funny talking about "stealth" in conjunction with the idea 8-D

I bet a couple of geese would make good guard animals. They are damn hostile critters.  ;)

Chicken harness: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valhoma-...8539&wl11=online&wl12=790951274&wl13=&veh=sem

When a friend of mine was young, she trained one of their hens to ride on the handlebars of her bicycle. Just mount a small perch on the front of your van, train the chicken to ride there, and then you'll have a cute hood ornament that lays an egg every day.

Of course, a colorful rooster would look, too, but no eggs: https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...ament&imgrc=gVu1blEha3YPYM:&spf=1495409075588

PS a rooster IS a chicken... but we get your gist.

My daughter bought home a cute yellow chic from her school Easter project some years back. Grew to be a large white rooster !! stayed outside, roosted on the chain link dog fence at night, except if stormy, then down stairs in large dog crate ( we lived upstairs).
Was the best guard creature ever !! became quite a celebrity in our rural neighborhood.
Wished they had camera phones in those days, don't have a single picture of Ernie.

MM

lenny flank said:
I bet a couple of geese would make good guard animals. They are damn hostile critters.  ;)
Swans too, been attacked, vicious beasts