Hey cognitive dissonance!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:D  Thanks for the shout out! 

This was a lucky catch, because one more new topic would have driven this off the front page and I never would have seen it!

I do check in here from time to time, but rarely post. And yes, the world is certainly awash in cognitive dissonance...!

A number of serious issues are 1) coming to a head, and 2) are on converging trajectories. Neither bodes well for humanity. I again strongly recommend that everyone read "The Fourth Turning" by Strauss and Howe for some insight into how cataclysmic the next decade will likely turn out.

Sadly, any attempt at meaningful discussion of such things would fall under this site's censorship.

Thanks again and best regards,

cd

Just as long as everyone remembers that people have been saying the world is coming to an end forever! I have a friend that has faith and she is tweaking about events. That confuses me, if you have real faith in something, then why worry? What a waste of time. People are generally good and also greedy. Contradictions....

But people had been screaming the sky is falling since who knows. G'dam chicken little, I blame her. But as long as I'm here and kicking, I'm grateful.

Speaking of cognitive dissonance (the concept), and reading material, there's an excellent book on that subject that's very readable and one I enjoyed quite a bit:

Per Wikipedia, "Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me) is a non-fiction book by social psychologists Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson, first published in 2007."

Tom

gsfish said:

I'll see if the library has a copy...

...Just my take, the world and it's people are in a constant state of flux. Even if there was a pattern it would be so complex as to defy analysis much less by two individuals over the course of a few years.

Guy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Guy -

I hope you and at least a few others here end up reading the book. The US education system - including higher education - does a dismal job of teaching pretty much everything, and that is certainly true of history. Amazingly, it is fashionable among educrats to consciously AVOID looking at any patterns/cycles in history, and this is a great loss to anyone interested in not repeating past mistakes.

This is not new information. Strauss and Howe wrote more than one book on generational cycles. The first, dubbed "Generations" was widely read as well. (Al Gore once bought a copy for every member of congress!)

Next came "The Fourth Turning". I read it when it was first published in the late 90's, and have been recommending it ever since. The significance of the Fourth Furning (cycle) is cataclysm.  There is always a crisis that comes to a head during the latter half of the fourth turning. The American Revolution occurred in the latter half of a fourth turning. Four generations later, right on schedule, we had the so-called Civil War. Four generations after that, World War II. Four generations after that is RIGHT NOW - we are just entering the latter half of this Fourth Turning.

Importantly, the fourth turning crises reliably come to a head in the form of decisive armed conflict. Note that WWI involved largely the same combatants, but it was not decisive. They were all fighting again just 20 years later, but that time the outcome was decisive.

It is obvious that humanity now faces an abundance of crises, and that many of these problems are coming to a head in the very near future. Not only is the political left (the "never let a good crisis go to waste" folks) fully aware of these larger generational forces, so is the right. It is now coming out in the news that Steve Bannon (Trump's right-hand guy) is also a strong proponent of Strauss-Howe generational theory.

Here's one link: http://riskhedge.com/post/podcast-w-neil-howe

Of course, the leftist press is painting this in the darkest way possible, going so far as to claim that Bannon is trying to start a civil war. They certainly aren't pointing out that lefties like Al Gore are in complete agreement with Bannon's beliefs!

Personally, I do not believe that any person or group could stop the Fourth Turning crisis from occurring. (Heck, it's already underway...) I also do not believe any person or group could trigger a Fourth Turning crisis at any other point in the turnings. However, I DO believe  - and it's pretty obvious - that people and groups can, want to and already have positioned themselves for the tremendous gains that are always there for the taking in any major conflict. Such gains are not just material, either - the most sought after gain is almost always power over others.

Clearly, both the left and the right are well aware of what's coming, and both sides intend to capitalize on the looming conflict with an eye towards achieving their own ends. Beyond the crisis itself, this is the clear and present danger to the little people who just want to live their lives.

The bottom line? You may not be interested in the Fourth Turning, but the Fourth Turning is interested in you!

Check out American Experience (PBS) episode "Command and Control" the end may actually be accidental anyway.

gsfish said:
SOoooo, inquiring mind wants to know, what IS this looming crisis? How will I know when this theory is proven once again? What is "the very near future"?

I can't think of a generation that was free of crisis and strife, it's just the way of the world.

Guy

While I agree that many individual elements of society and the world don't look good, and even ominous in the case of  climate change for example, Y2K taught me something about Chicken Little scenarios. Namely, that information about such scenarios can be very compelling, and they can still never come to pass.

Overall though, I think prudent prevention and preparation make a lot of sense. But good luck defining prudent.

Tom

Something will happen sooner or later, thats guaranteed. Hopefully, later...much later!

not going to read the whole thing but this 4th gen thing is leaving out most the facts, what about ww1,flu pandemic, what about the ussr and china killing millions post ww2? that stuff dont fit their narrative and thus omitted

and the climate change,well,it has happened every day since the beginning of time,since the height of the current ice age the oceans have risen around 400 feet,not only didnt the world end but it flourished,soon canada and russia will be producing massive amount of food thanks to climate change,many times in earths past there has been no,zero,ice caps,during these times life flourished and then the ice comes back and you get frozen mammoths in siberia

will the herd be thinned? of course,the herd is always thinned,99.9% of animals that have lived on this planet are extinct

enjoy the ride and stop your worrying,your not going to stop the sun from going supernova,it's all mute in the end

Gary68 said:

and the climate change,well,it has happened every day since the beginning of time ...

enjoy the ride and stop your worrying,your not going to stop the sun from going supernova,it's all mute in the end

I haven't read that book, but I think I'd like to.

I agree with you, Brother Gary, that some things are inevitable and so not worth spending a lot of time worrying about (sun, etc). However, I can't agree with your statement that climate change has happened since the beginning of time. Yes, climate has changed over the entire existence of the Earth, but that's not what your statement seems to imply. The implication is that the current situation is just business as usual, so no need to worry. As the attached graphic shows, we're doing anything but business as usual.

In this case, I can't figure out why we're all not running around like the sky is falling.

Tom

climateexper.jpg

Attachments

• climateexper.jpg
    climateexper.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 5
Gary68 said:
not going to read the whole thing but this 4th gen thing is leaving out most the facts, what about  ww1,flu pandemic, what about the ussr and china killing millions post ww2? that stuff dont fit their narrative and thus omitted

<----snip---->

The more I read in here, the more I tend to agree with a lot of it. Also, regardless of separate beliefs, IMO a lot of us have more in common than we realize.

Vagabound said:
1.jpg

http://www.vonborks.org/walt.html

"Federal funding for climate change research, technology, international assistance, and adaptation has increased from $2.4 billion in 1993 to $11.6 billion in 2014, with an additional $26.1 billion for climate change programs and activities provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in 2009"
http://www.gao.gov/key_issues/climate_change_funding_management/issue_summary

somebody is getting paid

Ballenxj said:
... Also, regardless of separate beliefs, IMO a lot of us have more in common than we realize.

Interesting point. That was one of the few strong impressions for me from the RTR. Despite the diversity of personality, age, origin, etc., that I saw, I also noticed quite a few common themes running through that crowd, me included.

Tom

Gary68 said:
"Federal funding for climate change research, technology, international assistance, and adaptation has increased from $2.4 billion in 1993 to $11.6 billion in 2014, with an additional $26.1 billion for climate change programs and activities provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in 2009"
http://www.gao.gov/key_issues/climate_change_funding_management/issue_summary

somebody is getting paid
And knowing all the while there is not a dang thing we can do about it. What a monumental waste of tax payer money!
You're darn TOOTIN somebody's getting paid, and at our expense. :dodgy:

Ballenxj said:
And knowing all the while there is not a dang thing we can do about it. What a monumental waste of tax payer money!
You're darn TOOTIN somebody's getting paid, and at our expense. :dodgy:

Again, I'm stunned that the budget isn't $100 billion. If the problem were to be addressed in the way that it needs, it would be a financial and manpower undertaking that would dwarf the past space program.

Whether we (generically) agree on the cause or not, if you (generically) don't see the negative effects of climate change, you're trying hard not to see. And those negative effects, and the worse ones to come, are what need to be addressed. And they're going to affect everyone, regardless of political party, nationality, or whether they agree or not. Scorching heat, droughts, flash floods, and incredibly large storms don't need your understanding or permission. And that, as they say, is that.

Tom

Wait until the UFO and Antarctica issues are fear-mongered upon us!

Vagabound
Again, I'm stunned that the budget isn't $100 billion. If the problem were to be addressed in the way that it needs, it would be a financial and manpower undertaking that would dwarf the past space program.

Whether we (generically) agree on the cause or not, if you (generically) don't see the negative effects of climate change, you're trying hard not to see. And those negative effects, and the worse ones to come, are what need to be addressed. And they're going to affect everyone, regardless of political party, nationality, or whether they agree or not. Scorching heat, droughts, flash floods, and incredibly large storms don't need your understanding or permission. And that, as they say, is that.

Tom
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm not old enough to qualify for a senior discount anywhere, yet I've lived long enough to have noticed (and confirmed and then re-confirmed) that most supposed authorities are full of crap.

I distinctly remember the "earth sciences" class I took in 8th grade, in which we were ever so earnestly assured that another ice age was on the way, which calamity would arrive in our lifetimes. (I was quite concerned, as I don't like being cold...)

Much to my relief, there was a rapid shift toward a theory of catastrophic warming. (Note to self: make enough money to have a swimming pool to cool off in...)

Finally, we arrived at the much safer (and all-encompassing) prediction of "climate change". This threat is vague enough that we should all get behind it and be able to enjoy two minutes of regularly scheduled hate for all who dare deny the severity of the latest spring fashions in cooling/warming/whatever.

If you had a show and this climate crap was a comedy skit, you'd fire the writer for being implausible and lame.

If, in the real world (and I'll stipulate that for many there is only Disney) you haven't (generically, lol) become thoroughly skeptical of all this climate hysteria by now, you should be ashamed.

Sadly, shame is the rarest of emotions these days, so here we are.

Please, everyone, continue to pretend that outsourcing industrial pollution to China and then watching approvingly as big multinationals posture as environmental stewards is the same as actually doing something about the problem.

Likewise, please keep thinking that fiat currencies around the world aren't in their death throes. (After all, who needs a trustworthy medium of exchange, much less all that trade with all those pesky nations?) Similarly, don't give a thought to the fact that nearly 100 million working age Americans have given up even looking for work. (We're in a recovery, and you can trust that because government never lies!)

Forget that racial tensions are sky high and climbing. Ignore as well the tens of millions of sullen immigrants who hate their new home and aren't assimilating. (Diversity like that is our strength, right?) While you're at it, don't take note of the stratospheric birthrates of those immigrants, because higher population can't possibly make any of our problems worse. (Well, none of them besides food, water, sanitation, housing, health care, misc. natural resources, standard of living...)  

And, of course, climate change...

Status
Not open for further replies.