HELP,Van Buy???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably  not a bad deal for a 24 year old van. Personally, I'm not a fan of the 'conversion vans' - look pretty but don't make for a good fit for full-timing it.

Make sure you crawl under the van and check out the metal under those running boards. The running boards can hide some awful rust.

Most people who pay for the conversion vans end up gutting them because a) the plastic trim interior takes up up to 6" of valuable space on each side the van, b) that fold down 'bed' is notorious for being absolutely totally uncomfortable and c) the interior and extra seating isn't needed. If you're going to do that, take that in to consideration when you try to talk the current owner down in price.

If you're not experienced at buying, make sure you take someone along who is and/or a mechanic to check it out and tell you what it needs to make it roadworthy.

Check the dates on the tires - a lot of the vans that haven't been driven extensively have outdated tires. They should be no  more than 5 years old to be roadworthy, no matter how much tread is left on them.

Bonus points for things like brake lines and rubber (hoses and belts etc) already having been replaced. If they haven't been it's almost a sure bet they'll need it really soon.

I think it's e250 because it has a 5.0 with a 3speed + od automatic transmission.
What i'm seeing online is kinda scary.

Steakchaser said:
Minnow. For something that runs and drives well, I don’t see you getting one much cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everytime i give that 760.00 away on the first of the month it hurts bad, I have a very dependable car that i don't worry about but i can't live in the damn thing! This thing i can live in with a nice piece of memory foam for the back bench. I am chomping at the bit bad stop the bleeding! I want to s spend my money on MY home. i have been paying rent for this apt for 21 years. :(

Almost There said:
Probably  not a bad deal for a 24 year old van. Personally, I'm not a fan of the 'conversion vans' - look pretty but don't make for a good fit for full-timing it.

Make sure you crawl under the van and check out the metal under those running boards. The running boards can hide some awful rust.

Most people who pay for the conversion vans end up gutting them because a) the plastic trim interior takes up up to 6" of valuable space on each side the van, b) that fold down 'bed' is notorious for being absolutely totally uncomfortable and c) the interior and extra seating isn't needed. If you're going to do that, take that in to consideration when you try to talk the current owner down in price.

If you're not experienced at buying, make sure you take someone along who is and/or a mechanic to check it out and tell you what it needs to make it roadworthy.

Check the dates on the tires - a lot of the vans that haven't been driven extensively have outdated tires. They should be no  more than 5 years old to be roadworthy, no matter how much tread is left on them.

Bonus points for things like brake lines and rubber (hoses and belts etc) already having been replaced. If they haven't been it's almost a sure bet they'll need it really soon.

I kind of figured I was going to mess this van up to do what i want to. This will be more comfortable to hang in until i start renovating. i just can't leave home in a hollow cargo van. It really isn't going to be to bad living in here for a couple of months. I HOPE!

Garage kept is a big plus, 302 engine is decent, looks fairly clean from the photos. Of course having a mechanic check it would be advisable. Yes, always try to negotiate the price; even if you think they'll say no you still gotta ask the magic questions... What's your bottom price? Can you do any better than that?

Personally, I would never head across the USA on a van that old.

A Chevy Express van from Atlanta would be my choice.

There's hundred's of them for sale there.

Check Craigslist..... Atlanta.

Catch the bus to Atlanta (no rust) .... smile.

Riverman said:
Here's just a few of the Atlanta cargo vans for sale:

Wow! Thanks for the tip.  Prices seem very reasonable, especially compared to California prices.  So what's the deal are those snow salt or flood damaged?

No... check with the owners on the condition though. The price's look normal to me for our area.

The super cheap deals may or may not be real ads.

Doubleone said:
Wow! Thanks for the tip.  Prices seem very reasonable, especially compared to California prices.  So what's the deal are those snow salt or flood damaged?

He was referring to MN vans. They like to use salt up here. Rust is definitely a problem. Those seems to be some ok deals down in Atlanta.
It's the same way down there. I'm sure you can find some really good deals but you gotta be Jonny on the spot or they are gone!!!

Steakchaser said:
Did you get that van bought minnow??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I decided against it. I just need to keep saving Money. I'm not going to get out of here till next fall, so I might as well keep driving my 30 MPG car until I'm ready to make the move. I just have to slow down a little bit here, I tend to get ahead of myself sometimes. :blush:

Riverman said:
Personally, I would never head across the USA on a van that old.

A Chevy Express van from Atlanta would be my choice.

There's hundred's of them for sale there.

Check Craigslist.....  Atlanta.

Catch the bus to Atlanta  (no rust) .... smile.

Thanks for the tip Riverman!

I never would have thought of that.

Minnow, I would suggest looking for a Southern van instead of one that lived its life in salt/snow.

The GSA auctions is an excellent place to buy a well-maintained van without worrying about hidden issues. You do not need to be a licensed dealer to do it.
MSG me if you have questions.

Latest posts