Help Please? How Do I Buy A Camper That's 1,272 miles Away???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squid

Reaction score
I found a perfect rig on Craigslist, sold by a nice lady with a horse ranch, that's 1,272 miles away.  I have an F-250 truck but it's not yet prepped with tie-downs and plug-in.  It'd be for me 7 days driving because of endurance, and I'd only have the truck.  I'm unable to find a rig locally, been looking for a long time...this is a very nice price.  She wants $7K and the local ones are $12-17K

How do you do title transfer from a distance?  I was thinking she could put it in a storage lot until I get down to it in Phoenix.  I am trying to find shipping but no takes on the job yet, maybe hauling campers isn't so appealing?  How do you do the money part?  I've been scammed before, years ago I put a $200 Western Union deposit on a Class C in Portland, OR but all the guy had done was take a picture of someone else's rig and posted it, then he told a very credible-sounding yarn about the high demand, couldn't hold it without a deposit (I know "sucker!").  Now whenever I see postings on CL with just exterior pictures I flag the ad right away.   Yes I got snookered and the police though they knew who he was didn't do a thing.
I've also heard bad reports about car-buying escrow companies that just KEEP the money held in escrow!

I'd appreciate any advice.  Thank-you!

Bought a $15000 RV from 500 miles away. Find an RV mobile repair service in the area where the RV is being sold. Send them for inspection and report. If it’s good then make an offer. You may have to put a small deposit down. Then go drive and buy it. You can get a temporary registration and insurance to tow it home. Assuming your truck is set up to tow it.

Craig’s list has mobile RV repair in every county in USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think I would send $7000 to a stranger... go in person.

I took a train from San Francisco to Omaha to pick up a rig. Cash and carry only no BS worst case you lose your travel money and get to see a bunch of new sights, meet new people took a sleeping bag bought a tool set at sears in Omaha and drove it home.

All of the above, and a trusted liason would help you make that transaction from a distance.

What is it? Some of us are in the area.
I know that I'll be in Tucson for a few days starting the 15th, and then again after the 3rd of April. I also tend to specialize in moving things around.

LowTech said:
What is it? Some of us are in the area.
I know that I'll be in Tucson for a few days starting the 15th, and then again after the 3rd of April. I also tend to specialize in moving things around.
it's a little truck camper, slide-in, no wheels, you know on four legs...I'll update to a more close location

Will it fit in a full size truck? I'll be staying w/ someone that has a full size Ram truck.

squid said:
it's a little truck camper, slide-in, no wheels, you know on four legs...

OH!!

Heck I thought we were talking about a trailer....so disregard my previous suggestion about meeting halfway...unless she has a pickup that already is set up for the slide-in camper.

squid said:
I found a perfect rig on Craigslist, sold by a nice lady with a horse ranch, that's 1,272 miles away.  I have an F-250 truck but it's not yet prepped with tie-downs and plug-in.  It'd be for me 7 days driving because of endurance, and I'd only have the truck.  I'm unable to find a rig locally, been looking for a long time...this is a very nice price.  She wants $7K and the local ones are $12-17K

How do you do title transfer from a distance?  I was thinking she could put it in a storage lot until I get down to it in Phoenix.  I am trying to find shipping but no takes on the job yet, maybe hauling campers isn't so appealing?  How do you do the money part?  I've been scammed before, years ago I put a $200 Western Union deposit on a Class C in Portland, OR but all the guy had done was take a picture of someone else's rig and posted it, then he told a very credible-sounding yarn about the high demand, couldn't hold it without a deposit (I know "sucker!").  Now whenever I see postings on CL with just exterior pictures I flag the ad right away.   Yes I got snookered and the police though they knew who he was didn't do a thing.
I've also heard bad reports about car-buying escrow companies that just KEEP the money held in escrow!

I'd appreciate any advice.  Thank-you!

I almost got taken this way on Craigslist twice!! I know the deal may sound great but I can tell you from experience Craigslist is FILLED with scammers, Most likely if you send them money to this " escrow" its an elaborate scam and you'll never see your money nor the camper. Plus when it comes to campers you ALWAYS want to check them out first hand before buying one. I seen so many people try to sell me RV's and Campers that said they were " turn key" and they had tons of issues. I can't stress enough how important it is to see what you're buying first hand before you purchase!!

A really good deal is worth flying in to close on.

Pay a trucker to bring it to a storage place then you can be safe and rational about going back to pick it up.

No way you'll get most sellers to "hold it for you" while you spend $thousands in wear and tear driving cross country to pick it up.

If you can't afford to do it this way and don't have time to just wait for something local, maybe move to a bigger market area, camp, whatever.

I am leery of good deals listed in far away places. A good deal will sell quick listed local, so there may be a good reason it does not sell where it is.

squid said:
I found a perfect rig on Craigslist, sold by a nice lady with a horse ranch, that's 1,272 miles away. 
I say "hire" LowTech to check it out for you, even as a "fake potential buyer".  That way you have a neutral party to see if it's legit & get eyes/hands on it.  PM him and work out a lil bit of commission.  If you really like it you are going to have to sacrifice something.
As a Vet I know MOST Vets look out for each other when they can & those who confide in them.
I vote for LowTech!!!