How do I figure out a toilet for a teenie space in my..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that a lot of stuff we think is recycled (composted?) - isn't. But I also am pretty sure whatever we put in the trash will find its way to the landfill.

Once there, compostable bags should disintegrate. They and their contents can break down (compost) and rejoin the ecosystem. I fear that if I use a plain plastic bag it (and the contents) will just sit there pretty much forever and serve no constructive purpose at all.
I think you're right about that, it will get into the landfill- even a lot of supposedly recycled stuff. Using the "landfill biodegradable" bags assumes they will get into the landfill, and they are formulated to degrade there in anaerobic conditions. That isn't true of "compostable" bags. Unless those are actually composted in aerobic conditions (which next to nobody does- certainly not municipalities) they will be around to haunt us, as you say "pretty much forever".

I think you're right about that, it will get into the landfill- even a lot of supposedly recycled stuff. Using the "landfill biodegradable" bags assumes they will get into the landfill, and they are formulated to degrade there in anaerobic conditions. That isn't true of "compostable" bags. Unless those are actually composted in aerobic conditions (which next to nobody does- certainly not municipalities) they will be around to haunt us, as you say "pretty much forever".
I think this subject may be confused by the difference between composting and decomposing. When biodegradable trash bags end up in landfills, decomposition DOES happen, but at a much slower rate than if they and other trash were exposed to the proper composting conditions. Air, light, and moisture all have an impact. And methane is given off by ALL the decomposing biologicals. So, when we are criticizing people disposing of poop in a bag, maybe we need to give more thought to OUR garbage in a bag disposal.

I still believe bags identified as "biodegradable" are better than plain plastic. Certainly, there are there better ways to deal with poop. REAL composting is better than either landfill disposal OR standard sewer plants. But needs drive actions in the absence of the best solutions.

Last edited:
It got me interested, so I googled "biodegradable vs compostable poop bags"

I found:

"While biodegradable items refer to just any material which breaks down and decomposes in the environment, compostable goods are specifically organic matter which breaks down, the end product having many beneficial uses which include fertilizing and improving soil health"

"One 2019 study found that bags marked biodegradable lasted in soil, submerged in seawater, and out in the open air for three years or more. That's why researchers say compostable bags are a more eco-friendly option. They're usually made of plant starch and contain no plastics, so they dissolve much more quickly"

"Even the very best, most scientifically-proven biodegradable plastics won't degrade in a landfill, where compression and lack of oxygen lead to “mummification” of garbage. To get the best results from earth-friendly poop bags, you have to dispose of them correctly"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summary: biodegradable is kind of scam. Compostable poop bags are preferred (eco-friendly). Seems that even if buried in soil (without real composting) they will fully degrade, instead of just breaking down into microplastic pieces.

Thanks @scaredycat72 for the link to the really compact foldable TRIPTIPS Portable Toilet

Just because it’s called cat boxing it or whatever, doesn’t mean you just do the animal kick kick, or kitty swipe swipe and it’s good… you gotta go full gopher mole rat it down there. And no paper