Help pick Daily Driver / Weekender

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatajer

Reaction score
I was in the middle of outfitting my Honda CRV but was just written off.

I have an expensive bike and Paramotor that in an ideal world could fit inside the van/suv.

Budget is always a concern, and of course I'm trying to multipurpose as best I can. future goal is to go biking/hiking flying every opportunity that allows during the summer (2-3 days/nights ?) I can and will work from it as well.

Here is a list of ideal items I'd like to have (knowing I won't get it all)

WORK (use 10%):
- high roof promaster would be best (looking at 136") for my needs. I do mobile projections and need the height to project over people.

DAILY (use 80%):
- I was happy with the CRV. Light, good on gas, awd

WEEKENDER (Use 10%):
need to fit bike and paramotor AND sleep. I'm ok with the bike outside, but maybe locked up inside when not by the vehicle.

Option 1:
Promaster 136" low roof
- better on the budget
- perfect for weekend
- work not super ideal but can manage with a lower roof.
- not a great daily

Option 2
Promaster 136" high roof
same as low roof except much more. ($10K over budget)

Option 3
Larger SUV
- will not be able to use for work (will have to rent up to 3-5 times, and outfit the van 8-16 hours each time vs building into van. last project costs $1K to rent for the amount of time we needed it. estimate 2-3K/year, hoping it will be more which means more work)
- good daily
- tight for recreational gear and me+guest.
past project CRV: https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=39882
realized it would fit bike but not paramotor.

Other options?

Mobile projections are what? Do you use the van roof as a platform or the side as a screen? You need to explain that before I can make a suggestion I guess.

Here's my last project that I projected for 29 days. you'll see the projectors i mounted in the van. [video=youtube]

Okay, more crazy ideas. If you get a cargo trailer with a cargo rack which holds a custom built box that holds the projectors at the proper height then you would only need enough room inside the cargo trailer for the paramotor, bicycle and bed. Really a pretty small cargo trailer that would be light and easy to tow and store. Daily local rental trucks are $20 for the day most places so you could rent one only on the days you need to move the trailer. So less than $1,000 a year for 50 days and it is a business expense for which you would have all the documentation as well. If the trailer was say 6’x8’ it could be pulled by most vehicles. You could then buy any vehicle you want.
Second idea is a pickup with a tall topper or roof rack with custom cargo box. Depending on how tall you are you might be able to sleep on a bench seat in the cab but an 8’ bed is just a little smaller than a vans interior.
Third idea is to combine both ideas above then you wouldn’t have to rent a tow vehicle and have much more space.
The trick is to keep the trailer as small as possible so you can get an economical tow vehicle or since you really only need it towed 20% of the time get something really economical and save enough to rent a truck when you need it.

Just a thought here,

SUV may be the best choice for this.

Could you use a modified car top carrier for the projectors?  Carry the bike outside on a bike carrier when traveling ? (front or back of vehicle)

Then carry the paramotor inside the vehicle?  Or on a receiver hitch mounted rack and covered in a tarp tied down with bungee cord. 

I'm sure the projectors could be set to project from either side or front or rear of the vehicle and
ventilated properly.   Even project thru a plexiglass window in the modified car top carrier.

If you have a garage at home or storage facility with a high enough door you could rig a ceiling hoist
to lift the projector module up off the roof and pull the vehicle out from under it before lowering it to the floor when not in use.  The bike and paramotor could be stored there too. 

In this manner your vehicle would be modularized, and quickly become an empty work vehicle.

[img=400x300]https://cdn.patchcdn.com/users/21841232/2013/07/T800x600/ba01cf98a32df21f703de1657bcf58c0.jpg[/img]

Nylon rope hoist that can lift a ton are simple to operate and inexpensive

Nylon Rope Hoist

Thanks for all the creative ideas!
I was hoping to keep it simple, lift these projectors is a two person job.
Trailer was on the list of options, however at the price of the trailers I require, it's not much more to get the van and a lot less hassle.

I think I've narrowed it down to either and large SUV or a high rooftop van.

promaster = front wheel drive = yuk in my book. if someone gave me a promaster I would sell it immediately. highdesertranger