Help me keep the smoke in my new solar controller!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
I need some simple advice of what not to do on my solar setup.  I mean besides the obvious like shorting connections together or to ground that don't go to ground.

For example the controller should be hooked to a battery before the PV panel is connected?  Or disconnect PV panel before disconnecting the battery bank?

I need simple instructions of what can cause problems.  Thanks.
A SEEKER

According to the instructions I had, you were suppose to connect the battery cables first, then the panel cables. Apparantly, if I didn't, there could be an error of some type or a faulty reading. I connected everything, but left the fuses out. I then put the fuse in the battery cable, which put power to the controller, then put the fuse in the panel cable. I figured that way, I wouldn't accidently cross the panel wires on a powered up comtroller, and cause damage.

It worked.

Main thing, follow the instructions. They will call for a certain way of hooking it up. Hooking up the battery first either allows you to set the voltage or allows the controller to do it automatically. Some controllers will simply die if you hook up the panels first or try to hot swap them between batteries.

A SEEKER said:
I need some simple advice of what not to do on my solar setup.  I mean besides the obvious like shorting connections together or to ground that don't go to ground.

For example the controller should be hooked to a battery before the PV panel is connected?  Or disconnect PV panel before disconnecting the battery bank?

I need simple instructions of what can cause problems.  Thanks.
A SEEKER

I'm kinda thinking that if your asking us you purchased a used controller and don't have the manual. Otherwise follow the manual to a T. 
I know my Morningstar TS-45 manual was very clear and specific about the connection order. 

what did you buy? 

MikeRuth said:
I'm kinda thinking that if your asking us you purchased a used controller and don't have the manual. Otherwise follow the manual to a T. 
I know my Morningstar TS-45 manual was very clear and specific about the connection order. 

what did you buy? 

Hey Mike,  I ended up with the MidNite Kid and whiz bang Jr.  I do have the manual and will follow the directions for install.  My question is mainly for after install and if I need to either troubleshoot or change out wiring or whatever in the future.  At this point from what I understand the correct way is to disconnect PV panel input first and then I could disconnect the battery bank with out causing a problem.

Is this correct?
A SEEKER

A SEEKER said:
Go to the Midnite Solar web-site they have lots of help there.  That is a really good controller you got.

Hey Mike,  I ended up with the MidNite Kid and whiz bang Jr.  I do have the manual and will follow the directions for install.  My question is mainly for after install and if I need to either troubleshoot or change out wiring or whatever in the future.  At this point from what I understand the correct way is to disconnect PV panel input first and then I could disconnect the battery bank with out causing a problem.

Is this correct?
A SEEKER

A SEEKER said:

Is this correct?
A SEEKER

In general since I haven't looked at your manual YES. 
I think most all of the CC's would prefer to have if applicable the sense connected, the remote temp connected then the Battery and then the PV. 
Disconnect would be PV first then battery. 

I got caught on this my self as I hadn't thought of putting in a disconnect for either LOL. But to be able to reset, and or make changes to dip switches etc both of those primary circuits need to be disconnected. 

I just looked over the KID manual and the above sequence will be fine. Nice controller btw.
Did you get a Shunt as well?

Mike R

MikeRuth said:
I just looked over the KID manual and the above sequence will be fine. Nice controller btw.
Did you get a Shunt as well?

Mike R

Yes I got the shunt and Whiz Bang.  Looked like my cheapest option to have a decent battery monitor.  I could have bought a cheaper controller but I would then have bought a Trimetric monitor so if every thing works out it may have been a good way to go and I will be happy.
A SEEKER

that's how I was told from the solar guy I bought my panels from. disconnect the panels first. I do this all the time because my panels are remote so I disconnect the panels and leave the controller connected to the batteries. I use a switch like this to do the disconnect so the plug will not arc when disconnecting or connecting. http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disco...168&sr=1-5&keywords=battery+disconnect+switch . highdesertranger

The Midnite stuff is top notch.   I would have gotten the Kid also but needed a wee bit more capacity so had to go with the Midnite Classic 150.  The Kid has a smaller footprint and a lower self consumption (and of course is cheaper!)

It is nice to know the company is right down the street too if I have any problems.

A shout out to High Desert Ranger on the circuit breaker. At first I was against them, resistance possibility etc. But after researching a bit and in my situation where I have tucked my batteries up in between the frame and side of the van the circuit breaker gives me a way to break the main easily now. I can't see it but I can easily get a finger up and pop it open if I need to as well as easily reset it. The only other hot lead coming off the battery now is the Battery Sense and I fused that at the battery since it is directly on the battery post.

Since my biggest draw is the inverter and even then I'm not so sure I'll ever use it's max at 1000watts, I choose a 150 Amp on this #2 feed.
Everything else is protected off a fuse block inside the van.

I'm not sure about the one he posted but mine came with #10 terminal posts :( I would have preferred a larger post.

Mike R

My KID has been hooked up and working for 2 days.  Well I guess it's working . . .have been in either a fog bank or total overcast the whole time.  Controller is putting in about 1/2 Amp and staying in float and my beer is cold :p I do plug in at night though.

I wired in some Blue Sea 30 Amp fuses inline with only crimp on connectors on input and output side.  I did not install a ground fault yet how important is this?
A SEEKER

Latest posts