Hello

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginny

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out if this kind of living is what I want.   Not sure if it's for me.

Hi Ginny. Tell us about yourself. What ideas do you have?

It's certainly not for everybody but perhaps if you knew more you might find a home here after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't have to be a full time lifestyle by any means. I still work but take my van out on extended trips. Hoping to one day go full time. But if anything ever happened to my life/living situation I feel pretty confident knowing that I have my van and could move into at any time. It gives you a sort of self confidence knowing that no matter what happens you can take care of yourself.

I'm moving in this direction- in a TT right now because I work, too. I am so excited to retire in a few years so I can wander about, I can't hardly stand it!
What makes you think this might work for you and what are your concerns?

Welcome Ginny to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Cammalu, I now live in my home and have it up for sale. I have 2 older Labs and a Maltese so I have to consider my big dogs. Not sure I can travel with them. They are use to a large area in the country and being free. I want to keep them. So I'll have to see how I can keep them and travel too. I'm retired but want to wonder this beautiful country for as long as I'm able. GINNY

ValerieP said:
I'm moving in this direction- in a TT right now because I work, too. I am so excited to retire in a few years so I can wander about, I can't hardly stand it!
What makes you think this might work for you and what are your concerns?

ValerieP,   My most important concern is my aging Labs.   They are important to me.   They were born here and know no other place.   They have always been free to run.   I will have to figure how I can travel with them.   They have not been around other dogs except a few.         
I have always liked to travel.   My parents wondered for while and I know I will enjoy it too.   I have to learn all about where to go and where to stay.   I want to do it the cheapest way I can.   Not too afraid but I know their is danger out there.   With the right I information I know I can do it.   This is the start, knowing other people are there to help.   Thanks to Bob Wells.   Have a good day and thanks for writing. Ginny

deadwood said:
It doesn't have to be a full time lifestyle by any means. I still work but take my van out on extended trips. Hoping to one day go full time. But if anything ever happened to my life/living situation I feel pretty confident knowing that I have my van and could move into at any time. It gives you a sort of self confidence knowing that no matter what happens you can take care of yourself.

Hi deadwood,   I think I'm going to try it as soon as my home sells.   Will probably do it tell I'm not able to anymore.   I'm retired so hope to be gone before winter.   Hope you can live your dream too.   Thanks, Ginny

eDJ_ said:
Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

So, what kind of living are you doing now ?

I live in the mountains of North Idaho with my 2 Labs and Maltese.    Selling out everything and going on the road.   Thanks,  Ginny

I'm guessing that if you could find a deal on an older Class C ( a generous deal so you could sell it if things don't work out) that would provide you and your dogs with enough room to travel comfortably,  then you would only need to find some other people to travel with.  Like a Caravan.  This seems to be a growing notion these days.  Perhaps because the people wishing to do this have little in the line of skills to support their efforts in this kind of venture. (perhaps caravans would form to visit the summer meet-ups)

I started out with an old Cargo Van.  (shown below in the first link)   Just me and I didn't travel that far from home to get my legs under me.  I did week end camp outs and Day Trips to cities were I could drive about 1 to 3 hours to get there, check out the town,  sleep in the Van somewhere in the town, and the next day finish touring the town before headed back home.   It was how I was checking it out to see if it would be for me.
I found all I needed was a bed,  my kitchenette build out of a wood box, and some basics. (food, utensils, blankets, towels, clean clothes to change into etc).   

The other question is whether your pets are going to travel well.  That is being in the Vehicle as you drive for some time and......their outdoor/wilderness savvy.   I've known people who took their dogs camping and they
went crazy.  Harassed other campers,  their children & their pets.  One took their dog on a fishing trip where they were in the wild "boondocking" and the dog found a Skunk shortly after getting there.  (where you live there may be snakes)  So these are things you need to know for yourself as you consider the nomadic way of life with your pets. (they rely on you for their well being)