Hello new peeps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VagabondWahine

Reaction score
Taking this first step on the road to full-time RV living. I was bitten by the Travel Bug, at a young age. My parents and I traveled by car from California to the East Coast (and return) for seven years in the mid-50s. In my vagabond lifetime, I've lived in at least 74 locations. I'm also a former mobile home and RV sojourner. I'm so glad I ran across Bob Wells' videos on YouTube. I began by watching 'Tiny House' videos (all the couples and singles looked so happy!). I knew I would love to have them as neighbors. Then, RV-ing videos caught my attention. After Bob's interviews with single women living out their dreams I knew I had found my peeps. Also loved the informational videos: Essentials List, Where to Shower, etc. Even caught the Live Vlog a couple of days ago. Today I bought Bob's book on Amazon Kindle and can't wait to begin reading.

So, here I am: a professional mover ready to learn what I can about life w/o an apartment. I'm currently living in low-income senior housing, but the rent takes 1/2 my retirement income. After utilities, Internet, and phone, I am struggling to survive every month! My 1-year lease in May '19. This gives me a few months to plan my escape.

Thanks for letting me ramble on. Look forward to reading Bob's book, this forum, and watching more videos, to prepare for my jail-break next Spring!  Aloha, Vagabond Wahine

Welcome to the CRVL forums VagabondWahine! Good luck with your plans and the search for a traveling home!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you for your welcome and the link to 'Tips & Tricks, & Rules.' In the future I will try to be as brief as possible. I'll check the forums often and watch for threads that interest me the most. Aloha, VagabondWahine

Wahine, as in true Polynesian? Wow, I think that would be new on this forum. Are you on an island somewhere in the Pacific now? Some people would think that's already Paradise. Do you have a car? Does it float?

74 locations, and here I thought I was high with 32 or 34, whatever.

My ex-husband was Tahitian. We lived in Papaete for a few months ... until I met the mistress! After tears and recriminations, I flew back to Oahu, to resume my life. When I retired I left Hawaii (too expensive, by far!) and returned to California. Now living in SoCal; I want out!

I do have a car. I hope it never floats ... especially since I may need to live in it for awhile. I'd like to drive to Oregon & Washington next summer. The RTR looks to be a blast. I'd like do a trial run of living in my car in January. I think I'll need to watch more videos, before I shock my friends and go for it.

So, let me ask you, QinReno, do you live in Reno--now or in the past? I've only been there once, for friend's wedding. It was warm & beautiful.
Thanks for writing and asking about my name. Sadly, I'm as white as white can be!
Aloha, VagabondWahine

Ah, Vagabond White, that's ok too. Around here most of us use pseudonyms, :). California isn't all that cheap to live in either. Nevada is better, and here in Reno where I "do" live, we get a lot of expats from the Sacramento area. We get hot and cold here, definitely defined seasons. Plus all the smoke from the Cal fires comes right across too. Recent summers have been bad. Foo.

I was wondering how you were gonna get your car across from Hawaii, LOL. There are a lot of threads and youtubes about people living in all sorts of vehicles. Check the "Choosing the Right Vehicle" sections. The smaller it is, the more it's basic camping out. I have a van and even so, we talk about living "out" of it and not in it, so very much outdoors. All you need is a bit of camping gear. Sleeping bag, propane stove, etc.

There will be people at RTR in all sorts of vehicles. You should think about short trial runs before then, before heading out in a long trip. Soon as you hit the road for a few days, suddenly you figure a lot of things out. A really nice trip, once it cools off a bit, would be camping in Joshua Tree Park. Good luck.

QinReno said:
Check the "Choosing the Right Vehicle" sections. The smaller it is, the more it's basic camping out. I have a van and even so, we talk about living "out" of it and not in it, so very much outdoors. All you need is a bit of camping gear. Sleeping bag, propane stove, etc.
You should think about short trial runs before then, before heading out in a long trip. Soon as you hit the road for a few days, suddenly you figure a lot of things out. A really nice trip, once it cools off a bit, would be camping in Joshua Tree Park. Good luck.
Good Morning, QinReno: Again, thank you for your good advice. My plan is to live 'out' of my car, let my bank balance grow until I can afford a small, used motorhome. I've looked at the Cargo Vans, but don't have the skills or money to convert it into a living space. A motorhome would already have electrical & water systems installed and I'm good at interior decor. My priority for getting into a home would be having a bathroom (shower & composting toilet) and electrical (eventually partly solar) for cooking, lights, hot water & all my gadgets.
I would then be able to get into an RV park--I've seen some cheap ones around here, in Palm Springs area, and in Tuscon.
Since I live in San Bernardino, a trial run to Joshua Tree, Big Bear (while it's still warm), Oak Glen, etc. are all doable.
So, have a lovely RV-ing day. I'll keep you posted. Sandy

Gardenias said:
Hello VW! (Is that okay with you?)

VW is fine. I've been called worse! I love your name & avatar. When I lived in Hawaii, I loved Gardenias. On my birthday, I bought myself a Gardenia lei. The scent is heavenly. Once I can afford a motorhome, I will want to have plants--but probably not Gardenias. If you'd like to write back, I'd be interested in hearing about your living situation.   Thank you for writing, VW

Hi Wahine. A real RV like a Class-C would be much more comfortable than a van, as you could actually "live" in it. However, be aware that people have been complaining that a lot of RV parks will not accept **older** RVs, so you might need to buy something relatively new, I imagine no older than late 90s or so. Older ones are probably more prone to leaks in liquid tanks, worn hoses, engine oil leaks, &etc.

The biggest problem with a van is having no shower and pooping in a bucket or porta-potti. It's not necessary to do a complex conversion. I have only a nice 8" mattress on a board, a side table, and a small cabinet for solar electrics, and nothing at all permanent, but I'm a total minimalist. Just for fun, you might take a look at CaravanCarolyn's page, she did a renovation of her van with Ikea cabinets. I'm not trying to convince you about a van, just for FYI purposes.