Hello....new here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longing4nature

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, 
I found Bob's youtube channel about a week ago and there certainly is a lot to learn.  Living in a car or van was something I never thought of before, in fact, I never really wanted to do it and don't know if I want to do it now but will be forced to live in my car soon at the age of 58.  I have only gone camping a few times in my life.  Although I have studied the corruption around us for the last 20 years and know that we live in at Matrix of falsehoods that are consuming us,  my idea of escaping the matrix was living off grid and owning land but this is not possible for me now.  I never even liked driving in the city or on freeways and it gives me some anxiety.  I always thought when I got older I would hire a driver to take me places because between making the car payment, car insurance, maintenance and having AAA, well it is a financial drain, especially for one who doesn't even like to drive.  I lived in Vancouver B.C. for 2 years without a car and loved it.  It was nice just to hope on a bus and not have to worry about where I would park my car or paying for parking or finding a place to fill up the tires or a place to wash it, etc. 

Anyway, I now see how wonderful and freeing it can be to leave material items behind, which is no problem for me since I only have a room full of stuff..........mainly photos, art supplies, dvds and books. I can't tell you how long I have just held on to nothing in this life time.  At my age I really don't want roommates anymore and don't want to rent out a room in someone's house.  It has gotten so depressing to think about not having my own space.  I am an introvert and love spending time alone and having my space.  I got tired of working a job I hated just to rent a room or apartment.

I have been a caregiver for my aging parents now 89 and 92 for the last few years and it has sucked the energy from me.  Before that I was a caregiver for others and worked with healthcare agencies and before that I lived in L.A. for 8 years and was a paralegal and legal secretary.  I have had so many jobs throughout my life and can't say I really liked any of the.  Just working to pay the bills and maybe a few extras here and there but extras were usually put on credit cards.  I now live in Arizona........again, and would like to escape.  I don't like the heat but love the northwest.  At this point I don't know how much driving I will really do besides driving up the west coast.  My plans are to check out the Coyote Howls campsite once the weather cools down.  Maybe stay there through the winter off and on while figuring out how or where to make an income.

I have a Toyota Corolla and hope sometime to purchase a van.  

I'm glad I found this site and the youtube channel.  I really would not have any hope if it wasn't for all of you sharing your information and experiences.  

Mary : )

Mary! Welcome to the CRVL forums! There are more than a couple of us caring for our parents, here. You'll definitely enjoy the freedom and quiet when you are allowed to move forward and reclaim your life.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Mary, I can relate to so much of what you write here. I too spent years caring for others. The last three years of my father's life wiped me out, in every way. I'm finding the nomadic life terrifically comforting. In the summer, Colorado and Oregon. In the winter, Baja Arizona. If I like a place, I stay until I'd rather be somewhere else. If a place is uncomfortable or gives me the heeby-jeebies, I simply move on. Life does not have to be complicated! It does not have to be expensive. Today's society makes us think it does, but as you can see from all the folks who have rejected that model, there are alternatives. Little by little, you will find your peace. Blessings for the journey (it's all about the journey)! --Laura

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hi Mary; welcome!!
I can relate too.
-not sure I want to live out of a car,
-camped a couple times in my life,
-jill of some trades,
-plan to check out CH...
Yes, the inkling of hope helps!

Moxadox said:
Hi Mary, I can relate to so much of what you write here.  I too spent years caring for others.  The last three years of my father's life wiped me out, in every way.  I'm finding the nomadic life terrifically comforting.  In the summer, Colorado and Oregon.  In the winter, Baja Arizona.  If I like a place, I stay until I'd rather be somewhere else.  If a place is uncomfortable or gives me the heeby-jeebies, I simply move on.  Life does not have to be complicated!  It does not have to be expensive.  Today's society makes us think it does, but as you can see from all the folks who have rejected that model, there are alternatives.  Little by little, you will find your peace.  Blessings for the journey (it's all about the journey)!  --Laura

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for your encouragement.  It's good to hear when people say the nomadic life is comforting.

Gardenias said:
Hi Mary; welcome!!
I can relate too.
-not sure I want to live out of a car,
-camped a couple times in my life,
-jill of some trades,
-plan to check out CH...
Yes, the inkling of hope helps!
Thanks you. It's always helpful to find others who can relate.  I hope to see you at CH this fall.  It's always nice to get out and meet new people.

A Savage Adventure said:
Welcome, Mary! Good luck with your van search and getting on the road!

Thank you.  I''m afraid I'll have to stick with the Corolla for the next year so I'll have to make due but at least it gets great mileage.

boy ...You sound like me. 58. Too young to retire and too old to be with roomies and rent.

leslymill said:
boy ...You sound like me. 58. Too young to retire and too old to be with roomies and rent.
Yes, it's quite the challenge, isn't it?  I have been struggling a long time with finances so have been living with people all my life and it has been mostly renting out rooms from people lately.  It just gets so old living pay check to pay check.  I can hardly wait to see my social security checks in a few years if I make it to that age.  Maybe checks will be $5 per month by then.  I really wish I had thought of living in my car a long time ago because it would have saved me years of grief.  I don't fear living in my car as much as coming up with an idea or business to support myself.  I think as far as camping goes, the things that terrify me the most are getting stuck some where and rattle snakes.....lol.