Hello New Friends

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've written this intro in my mind so many times that I've lost count. Different topics and mutterings each time, but at this point, I need to just begin.

In the 90s, while in college, I got it in my head that someday I wanted to modify and live/travel in an ambulance. Later, that image morphed into various desired vehicles, but never did I get to the point of full timer, only wayward traveler. My love for animals always tethers me. Back then when the dream first was a seedling, I mommied five ferrets. These days, it's four pups.

Over the years Ive found myself compromising comforts for options. Lived in commercial spaces for most of a decade. Sometimes built showers, sometimes used the gym. About 5-6 years ago, I bought a 94 Ford E150 Econline High Top Mark III conversion van. Sadly, the purchase occurred only weeks before the ridiculous jump in fuel costs. Then various issues frustrated me, or downright frightened me like the brake failure in the Bronx five years ago. DiscoBoogieMobile had/has those pesky electrical issues too. Replaced starter, battery, alternator, etc. Disconnected remote starter after the wild day when I couldn't get the van to shut off for an entire day. Of course, now realize I could have just disconnected the battery...the simple things I don't think of after driving 10-15 hours and arriving somewhere in the middle of the night.

So, for the last few years, Disco has been parked, eye balling me and reminding me of dreams. My insurance doesn't insure conversion vans, and my domicile is the actual very most expensive in the country, so having separate policies is beyond my scope.

Last summer I got a Toyota Previa and began to modify it. Unfortunately, it had a similar brake failure only a few months into ownership, but they failed at highway speed, and that van didn't make it. Loved it though. Would get another in a heartbeat.

Last RTR, I actually made it all the way down to meet all of you. Having followed van dweller groups since in college (though I think it was a yahoo group back then,) it was very high on my bucket list. But the drive was a full five days of knuckle grip driving, and my nerves were fried. After a few stressors, plus a small disaster getting lost in the desert attempting to go to Algondones alone, and then a phone call about Disco getting towed up north, I put my deflated tail between my legs and dragged my defeated butt back north.

Hopefully, after a solid week at RTR, I will return inspired and get Disco back on the road. Especially now that gas is cheap. And I'm certain my questions about SD residency vs health insurance in another state could be answered by fellow members so I can make my "move" in the next month. I guess it's time to dig up her old disco ball ornament, because I'm feeling inspired again.

Now Ive finally said hello and done my intro. Sorry for lurking for a few years on this board, and on other boards for years before that. I always felt like a fake, and hesitated to post. This time I'm not skulking off. Currently I'm resting with the fur balls in west Phoenix, and will arrive by 10am for the seminar.

Looking forward to knowing you guys. Was hoping to create a more profound first post, but more for myself as a proclamation, I guess. Instead I've decided to compromise by using a quote as my username that has profound meaning to me, and at any time is capable of bringing me to tears. Life in every breath. That was how I was living, and where I must return. I hope some of you will get to know me, and hold me accountable to that motto.

See you in the morning. You'll know it's me when you see a little boxy MPV with a frazzled petite female and four crazy pups contained within. We are noisy, intensely friendly and open, and overall, quite a funny looking gang.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! You've had an adventuresome time getting to this point but you're almost to the RTR! If you arrive early enough we'll probably all be at the seminar. Find a place to park and come join everyone. We're looking forward to meeting you!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi and Welcome! Have fun at the RTR! (I'm so totally jealous, btw, haha) Glad you are gonna give Disco another chance. :)

Welcome! Sounds like you are tenacious and won't let anything keep you away from your dream. That's a great quality to have. Enjoy being at the RTR. I won't make it this year but I can look forward to next year. Enjoy the experience. I can't wait to get to know you better thru the forum. I love your name. I look forward to hearing more about the quote that is so powerful to you. It seems worthy of that power.

GypsyChic

Frazzled females and crazy pups re out specialty!! You will fit right in here!

And you are in luck, we are going to talk specifically about health insurance in SD.
Bob

gypsychic said:
Welcome! Sounds like you are tenacious and won't let anything keep you away from your dream. That's a great quality to have. Enjoy being at the RTR. I won't make it this year but I can look forward to next year. Enjoy the experience. I can't wait to get to know you better thru the forum. I love your name. I look forward to hearing more about the quote that is so powerful to you. It seems worthy of that power.

GypsyChic

Thanks everyone commenting thus far. It feels nice to have warm welcome!

And to answer the question about Life in Every Breath.

My father had ALS. It was a profoundly painful experience to watch him suffer up until the horrific end. He was my hero and idol, and judging from the speeches at his memorial, he was idol to hundreds of other people.

Life in every breath is my reminder to live my life that way, because he can longer do it for himself.

It is also a deep and moving quote from the movie The Last Samurai. Though I have not owned a television since the 90s, someone recommended the movie and I am moved every single time I view it. There is a scene wherein the two fearless leaders have fought til a bitter end in battle. The winning Japanese Samurai leader captures the American captain, and forces him to live with his clan for the winter. In that time, the American is plagued by nightmares of his meaningless life. He screams in his sleep. In time, he is allowed to wander freely amongst Samurai villagers. He marvels at their dedication and devotion to "Bushido: The Way of the Warrior." His diary entry-"What does it mean to be Samurai? To devote yourself utterly to a set of moral principles. To seek a stillness of your mind. And to master the way of the sword"

Eventually the leaders become friends and the American is set free. They have an exchange about why the Samurai still fight, even though they are of a dying, diminishing "breed." They are preparing to fight but are wildly outnumbered. Ever cryptic, the Samurai leader states "The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one and it would not be a wasted life." This is part of a poem that he is working on.

Later, they discuss the nightmares the American has each night, and the upcoming battle:

Katsumoto: "You have seen many things.
Nathan Algren: I have.
Katsumoto: And you do not fear death, but sometimes you wish for it. Is this not so?
Nathan Algren: Yes.
Katsumoto: I also. It happens to men who have seen what we have seen. But then I come to this place of my ancestors, and I remember. Like these blossoms, we are all dying. To know life in every breath, every cup of tea, every life we take. The way of the warrior....
Nathan Algren: Life in every breath...
Katsumoto: That is Bushido."

This speech and communication always brings me to tears, and even in typing this, I admit the trickles are flowing. We are all dying every day. And to know life in every breath. This is true living. The way of the warrior.

My dad taught me to fight for what is right. He taught me to work hard, defend others, be independent, and to live passionately. He gave me tools to live by. And so, in honor of his memory, I have tried to live my life that way. Got a little lost for a few years while taking an unwilling break from travel, but I do remember my warrior self. And she's returning. When I wear my camera, I remember. When I drive into the sunset with no map, I remember. When I sit in an old derelict historic crumbling building and "listen," basking in the perfect harmonies of entropy, I really do remember.

Because my Dad cannot breathe another breath in this lifetime, I must breathe more deeply, and more meaningfully. I breathe because he cannot. Life in Every Breath.

Latest posts