Hello - House may be selling quicker than I thought

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums FreeToBe!  With your traveling plans the smallest van or RV that you'll be comfortable in sounds like the best choice - definitely not a fifth wheel! Try visiting a RV dealer and checking out all of the different types of RVs. A class B will give you a good idea of the living space in a built out van. Good luck with your house sale and the search for a new home!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks rvwandering - I agree that I think the smallest I can live in comfortable is the best.  My mind does sometimes wonder to the fifth wheel, mainly because of all the storage space, but the hassles and costs that come with it just don't seem worth it to me.  Also, it seems if I get the van and then want to go bigger, it would be much easier than getting a fifth wheel and want to go smaller.  With the van, I could always pull a trailer if I need additional space (although I'm really looking forward to downsizing and not having as much stuff).

I'll also check out the "Tips and Tricks" section as well.  Thanks!

DesertDweller said:
Some of the smaller class C's are also very nice. All the comforts of home, fridge, flushable toilet and a shower to boot. I actually veered towards one at first, but we have that "space need issue". I'll have to say, I'm glad though, that I relented and we got the class A, love the fact that it's like a "mini condo on wheels" for our long term stays, yet we have the versatility to go anywhere in our van. 

One thing I figured out about having that house, and all that "stuff" in it, is that we only used a portion of it to actually live in (like you), and I found that we were merely paying all that money to STORE all that crap, LOL!  Gee, and we could have been out exploring outdoor places and dining in nicer restaurants. Go figure!

Good points, DesertDweller - I had a small Class C at one point and loved it, but it got terrible gas mileage and the depreciation on it was incredible.  Also, there were many systems on it that I didn't use, but still had to maintain and repair, which got expensive and annoying.

Yeah, my stuff definitely owns me.  I have so much of it that I've collected over the years (been in this same house for 22 years), that it's going to be crazy trying to sell and get rid of it all.

We haven't finalized the deal on the house yet, but they've asked that we close on May 31st!  That gives me only a little over a month to get everything out!  The stress is starting to build up, but I keep thinking that I can relax when this is all over.

Plan A, storage locker, and sort it out from there
Plan B, leave all the big items as a 'bonus' to your buyers and just walk away, LOL

ArtW said:
Plan A, storage locker, and sort it out from there
Plan B, leave all the big items as a 'bonus' to your buyers and just walk away, LOL

Yeah, I was talking with a friend and your Plan A came up.  If I have to, I'll get a couple of storage units - one of stuff I want to keep  and one of stuff to get rid of and just whittle it down after I'm out of the house.  I think the main thing is just keeping the options open and thinking outside the box.  I'm sure it will all get done;  just in limbo right now until we reach an agreement on the sale (still have showings going on and an open house coming up this weekend).  Until then, I'm straddling keeping the house organized and clean with thinking about the next step of getting rid of stuff (hopefully, we get to that point).

rvpopeye said:
I'm on the southern coast of Maine.

If I head up that way, you'll have to give me some tips on places to stay and things to do.  I've made a couple of quick trips up to the Bar Harbor area, but they were way too short (that pesky work thing always gets in the way).

FreeToBe said:
Yeah, I was talking with a friend and your Plan A came up.  If I have to, I'll get a couple of storage units - one of stuff I want to keep  and one of stuff to get rid of and just whittle it down after I'm out of the house.  I think the main thing is just keeping the options open and thinking outside the box.  I'm sure it will all get done;  just in limbo right now until we reach an agreement on the sale (still have showings going on and an open house coming up this weekend).  Until then, I'm straddling keeping the house organized and clean with thinking about the next step of getting rid of stuff (hopefully, we get to that point).

Going through exactly the same thing...trying to keep it clean for showings while trying to organize and get rid of stuff, and also dealing with rain, snow and mud. We're still in the same agreement/negotiation stage with showings still going on also. It is definitely stressful.

DuneElliot said:
Going through exactly the same thing...trying to keep it clean for showings while trying to organize and get rid of stuff, and also dealing with rain, snow and mud. We're still in the same agreement/negotiation stage with showings still going on also. It is definitely stressful.

Good luck with your negotiation - my buyers just backed out.  I have mixed emotions about it;  it was great that it was moving fast, but at the same time it was a really quick closing date and incredibly stressful.  Oh well, gives me a little more time to plan and daydream about the future.

FreeToBe said:
Good luck with your negotiation - my buyers just backed out.  I have mixed emotions about it;  it was great that it was moving fast, but at the same time it was a really quick closing date and incredibly stressful.  Oh well, gives me a little more time to plan and daydream about the future.

Thankfully it's all on my parents since it is technically their house...I'm just the one who gets to deal with all the stress of showings, keeping it clean and getting rid of everything. All the suck and none of the profits!

DuneElliot said:
Thankfully it's all on my parents since it is technically their house...I'm just the one who gets to deal with all the stress of showings, keeping it clean and getting rid of everything. All the suck and none of the profits!

Wow, your folks are really lucky!  It's definitely not a job I would wise on anyone.  I have to constantly be aware of any little thing I mess up in the house (and clean it right away) and be prepared for a showing at any moment.  It makes life tougher, but I think it will all be worth it in the end.  Hopefully, a lot of the suck will be out of it for you soon (but too bad about the profits).

DuneElliot said:
Apparently we're following your lead. Our buyers just backed out too.

Arrgghh!  Sorry to hear that - it's kind of gut wrenching when they back out like that, but I have to keep telling myself that it's a marathon and not a sprint and it will take as long as it takes.  Hopefully, we'll both get new buyers soon;  if there is any positive, it gives more time to dream and plan for future travels.

FreeToBe said:
Arrgghh!  Sorry to hear that - it's kind of gut wrenching when they back out like that, but I have to keep telling myself that it's a marathon and not a sprint and it will take as long as it takes.  Hopefully, we'll both get new buyers soon;  if there is any positive, it gives more time to dream and plan for future travels.

Since once I leave I don't have to deal with it anymore it doesn't affect me in the same way as it would if I owned the house. Might have to change the mailing address for the tax records to my new UPS box so I can take care of that but I'm not tied to the place in any other way thankfully. At least this takes the stress off me to get stuff out the door...for now.

We did a for sale by owner, and when the buyer was standing on my patio, wanting to make an offer, I told her they needed to meet me at the title office....NOW. I also stated that we had a couple coming from CA to see the house in the morning, and that they practically made an offer over the phone, so if we didn't have a solid buyer, it was still for sale. HA! They followed us directly to the title company and signed the papers.

You can take the girl out of Detroit, but you can't take the Detroit out of the girl, LOL!

DuneElliot said:
Since once I leave I don't have to deal with it anymore it doesn't affect me in the same way as it would if I owned the house. Might have to change the mailing address for the tax records to my new UPS box so I can take care of that but I'm not tied to the place in any other way thankfully. At least this takes the stress off me to get stuff out the door...for now.

Hopefully, you'll be able to head out that door soon - enjoy the reduced stress while you can.  It seems like my house has been on the market for months and months, when in reality, it's only been two weeks!  Oh well - where I live is nice in the summer, but I would like to be out of here before it's time to pick up all the fall leaves.

DesertDweller said:
We did a for sale by owner, and when the buyer was standing on my patio, wanting to make an offer, I told her they needed to meet me at the title office....NOW. I also stated that we had a couple coming from CA to see the house in the morning, and that they practically made an offer over the phone, so if we didn't have a solid buyer, it was still for sale. HA! They followed us directly to the title company and signed the papers.

You can take the girl out of Detroit, but you can't take the Detroit out of the girl, LOL!

Yes, good job DD.  We never even got a chance to counter offer the buyers.  They made an offer and almost immediately withdrew it.  It was odd.

I've been debating with myself whether to sell "as is" to a flipper, or put the time and money into it myself to bring up the value.
I'm leaning heavily toward the quick sale.  I don't want to be the house with the "For Sale" sign out front for a year and a half, like so many I see.  And with my luck, I'd put $10k into it and only get $1k back out.  
If I cover the mortgage and costs I'm good.  If I clear a bit more, I'm even better.  But if I tie up a year or two in the remodeling and selling processes, I've already lost something more valuable than money.

mayble said:
I've been debating with myself whether to sell "as is" to a flipper, or put the time and money into it myself to bring up the value.
I'm leaning heavily toward the quick sale.  I don't want to be the house with the "For Sale" sign out front for a year and a half, like so many I see.  And with my luck, I'd put $10k into it and only get $1k back out.  
If I cover the mortgage and costs I'm good.  If I clear a bit more, I'm even better.  But if I tie up a year or two in the remodeling and selling processes, I've already lost something more valuable than money.

Plus you never know what stupidity the government or banks will pull that will cause the housing market to go wonky again.  I f you are sure you want to sell... get out while the gettin' is good.

Queen said:
Plus you never know what stupidity the government or banks will pull that will cause the housing market to go wonky again.  I f you are sure you want to sell... get out while the gettin' is good.

That's probably my biggest concern.  I would hate to be sitting on this house for years because of some downturn in the economy of some new government issue.

Mayble - if you do sell to a flipper, it would be interesting to hear how the experience goes for you.

Well it's kicked into high gear now.  I've just learned that some vacant, land-locked lots behind my house have been put on the market to be developed, and the access will be just out my front door :(
The best thing about my house is that although it's in the city with all the conveniences, the land across the street and behind me is undeveloped and wild.  I've had the best of both worlds with McDonald's around the corner and foxes, deer and pheasants in my backyard.
Now it's definitely time to go.