Hello from Vegas!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleep

Reaction score
So happy to be here and have already gotten so much valuable information. Thank you Bob for all you do. I made the decision to become a member of the vandwelling community and now am searching for the "right" vehicle .to be my new home with my 4 legged girl Bella. Hoping to get different views on vans and Class C's. With each thing I learn it gives me more confidence that I can do this! Let's Rock and Roll!

Hi Sleep, welcome. I'm a newbie, as well, and looking for the right-on-the-road shelter, although since I have 2 four legged friends I'm looking for a trailer. Good luck with your search!

Welcome Sleep to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome to the forum. Let us know if you have any specific questions.
You'll find the community pretty knowledgeable and helpful :)

Vegas? I just escaped from there two years ago. Retired Slot Technician of 25 years here.
Welcome to the forums. :)

Gideon33w said:
Welcome to the forum. Let us know if you have any specific questions.
You'll find the community pretty knowledgeable and helpful :)

Thank you so much! I have soooo many questions. What comes first chicken (van) or the eggs (cost for conversion). Did a mock floor plan so I can at least get a reasonable idea of the cost for the major items then I will know how much I can spend on the van.  Have already gotten so much valuable info here!

Welcome to the forum!

And the answer is the chicken... no point in having the eggs if you don't have the chicken to put them in.

That and you can always rough it in the chicken until you find enough money for the eggs.

Sleep said:
Thank you so much! I have soooo many questions. What comes first chicken (van) or the eggs (cost for conversion). Did a mock floor plan so I can at least get a reasonable idea of the cost for the major items then I will know how much I can spend on the van.  Have already gotten so much valuable info here!

I should also mention it is to hot here (102) to work on conversion, saw a nice van with way more extras than I need, but wouldn't have to worry about floors, walls and roof to begin with. Opinions are welcome!

Almost There said:
Welcome to the forum!

And the answer is the chicken... no point in having the eggs if you don't have the chicken to put them in.

That and you can always rough it in the chicken until you find enough money for the eggs.

Thank you Almost There, saw your van conversion and was inspired. Felt that way also about the chicken, but I'd like to know how much the eggs cost! Lol.

Eggs cost whatever you want them to. A bare van (cargo) will take some insulating, the mandatory roof vent, the rv battery and wiring, solar if you can, and basic furnishings. They vary so much that you really need to spend a lot of time reading the sub-forums for each area and also watch UTube videos.

A minimalist conversion can be done for less than $500 but you likely won't get solar or have anything more than a single marine type rv battery, which many find inadequate. If you get a conversion or passenger van, the work is different due to already finished floors, walls and ceilings, thus can be less costly than a bare cargo. It's really too difficult to anticipate your costs as we aren't "you". However you will learn a lot through reading.

Welcome!

The eggs can cost as little or as much as you want.

Some start out with a cot or platform with an air mattress, some want a queen bed and a 10" luxury foam mattress.

Same with bathroom facilities - Luggable Loo, porta pottie, separating toilet, full RV flushing toilet with water supply and black water tank...that range is from less than $50. to well over a grand...your choice.

I had to go through my van and put together a Cdn dollar 'replacement cost' estimate for insurance purposes and am still seeing stars and gasping for air over what it would cost me to replace this baby in case of total loss.

The better way to look at it, IMO, is - how much can you afford NOW, what will it take to make you happy in the long run. How happy you need/want to be will also depend on whether you're going full-time or  not! What one can deal with in the short-term is a whole lot different than what one needs going full-time.

Almost There said:
The eggs can cost as little or as much as you want.

The better way to look at it, IMO, is - how much can you afford NOW, what will it take to make you happy in the long run. How happy you need/want to be will also depend on whether you're going full-time or  not! What one can deal with in the short-term is a whole lot different than what one needs going full-time.

I could not agree more. That's one of the reason's I'm trying to price the major stuff, (potty, stove, batteries, fridge.) Pretty sure I can do the bed.  I will have the opportunity to afford the majority if I don't spend it all on the chicken. But good news, I think I have someone who can check out the vehicle for me for a fee of course.

Sleep said:
I could not agree more. That's one of the reason's I'm trying to price the major stuff, (potty, stove, batteries, fridge.) Pretty sure I can do the bed.  I will have the opportunity to afford the majority if I don't spend it all on the chicken. But good news, I think I have someone who can check out the vehicle for me for a fee of course.

Well, I'm not that far away and I just posted mine for sale on here if you're looking for an option with most of what you need already done.

Ballenxj said:
Vegas? I just escaped from there two years ago. Retired Slot Technician of 25 years here.
Welcome to the forums. :)

Oh please tell us some stories :).

MikeRuth said:
Oh please tell us some stories :).

About what? Vegas? Working on slot machines? Degenerate gamblers? Cocktail waitresses?
The last few years you might say I was a professional bar hopper. Worked for a company named Becker Gaming that owned bars, and contracted the technicians out to quite a few others, as well as convenience stores.
There are other things I won't talk about out of respect for the well being of the current technicians. Definitely had it's Pro's meeting a wide variety of people, and Cons being working around a lot of inebriated people. Some were funny, others not so much. Bartenders? A different breed, to say the least. Some were really fun to be around. Others, no comment.

Welcome aboard sleep!
Prices vary so much with chickens and eggs !
Only you will know what you require and can afford.

Good news is , you don't have to do it all at once..... get a good chicken !Eggs are everywhere.............

Gideon33w said:
Well, I'm not that far away and I just posted mine for sale on here if you're looking for an option with most of what you need already done.

Hi Gideon, How can I find it on the forum. Thank you for the heads up!

Latest posts